2015-2017 QX70S Brakes

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
nadthomas
Car: 2013 BMW 328i 6MT

I'm looking to purchase a QX70S. One of my interests in the S model over the standard is that I read it had larger brakes(akebono?). I'm a big fan of large brakes, so if I can get them from the factory great. One less modification I have to sneak past my wife. ;)

Looking at the photos of the handful of 2015-2017 QX70S I can find for sale, none of them seem to have the larger brakes. Were the larger brakes only available on the earlier V8 QX70S models, or was this an optional upgrade?

EdBwoy

I'm afraid your first assumption is correct. From the catalogs, it appears this was only available on the V8s and ended in 2014. The larger brakes were not offered as any other package.
FWIW, the 2014 models look facelifted to me. Plus they have Akebonos on the QX70 V8.

However, if your preference strictly is 2015 and up, then typically the Akebono upgrade isn't usually too complicated to achieve. But there's that issue of sneaking the stuff past your wife...

nadthomas
Car: 2013 BMW 328i 6MT

Thanks! Yeah, I was hoping to find a good price on a low mileage 2016 or 2017. I didn't really want to go back to a 2014, as the mileage is likely to be higher, and I kind of prefer the V6 as it was used in a higher volume of vehicles. Although, I'm sure I would prefer the sound and torque of the V8. I have found when buying a used vehicle, and when you do all of your own work and maintenance its best to stick with the most common components.

Also, currently there is only 1 AWD V8 2014 on all of Autotrader and it has 90k miles on it.

Maybe I'll just pickup a standard model and upgrade the wheels, brakes, and springs. Tires options for the 21" Sport model wheels are limited and overly expensive anyways.

EdBwoy

Right on! That sounds like a sound decision. You have a wider selection with the V6s anyway.
nadthomas wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:05 pm
... I have found when buying a used vehicle, and when you do all of your own work and maintenance its best to stick with the most common components...
Like you, I do most of my own work as well. One reason I stick to Nissan products is the compatibility of parts across most platforms. I have owned quite a lot of Nissan V8s and so far, I haven't run into any issue issue that was both exclusive to the V8 and a high failure risk. I haven't owned an FX50 yet, and I know that engine is way more unique than the previous and current V8, but it seems to be a very reliable powerplant.
That's an argument for argument's sake. I understand that we have varying levels of risk-aversion.

Mag1cal
Car: 17’ QX70S
AEM DROP IN FILTERS
ARK EXHAUST

If own a 17’ QX70S and I’m very pissed off that the larger brakes are not installed on my car. I purchased a S which means sport model. And a $60 k car should have the sport brakes. It’s how the company saves money but pisses of the customer. How’s this they didn’t put in the blind spot warning in my car. RIDICULOUS!! I see that on much cheaper cars. They also forgot to blacken out a lot of the chrome on the car. So now I have to get the door handles & window trim wrapped. But I still like the car. Even with the quirky transmission. Over the passed 15 years I’ve owned a 03’ & 07’ FX-35 and now the QX70S. I love the cameras in the 70 and shift paddles. The sports seats and the purple trim. The auto open rear hatch comes in handy. I’ve done a few mods strut bar, drop in AEM Filters and Ark exhaust. The exhaust really makes the car more fun to drive and the sound is amazing. This should’ve been included in the sport package. I’m planning on a tune. There’s a place called Real Auto Dynamics in Oceanside ny that has a 4wheel dyno. I spoke to the owner, he said I have to make 2 trips one to get into the ECU and then the tune. Cost is a $1000 which seems high. But he knows these motors and can get me another 40 wheel hp. I forgot how much more torque. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations I’m all ears.
Philip Klipper

Mag1cal
Car: 17’ QX70S
AEM DROP IN FILTERS
ARK EXHAUST

If own a 17’ QX70S and I’m very pissed off that the larger brakes are not installed on my car. I purchased a S which means sport model. And a $60 k car should have the sport brakes. It’s how the company saves money but pisses of the customer. How’s this they didn’t put in the blind spot warning in my car. RIDICULOUS!! I see that on much cheaper cars. They also forgot to blacken out a lot of the chrome on the car. So now I have to get the door handles & window trim wrapped. But I still like the car. Even with the quirky transmission. Over the passed 15 years I’ve owned a 03’ & 07’ FX-35 and now the QX70S. I love the cameras in the 70 and shift paddles. The sports seats and the purple trim. The auto open rear hatch comes in handy. I’ve done a few mods strut bar, drop in AEM Filters and Ark exhaust. The exhaust really makes the car more fun to drive and the sound is amazing. This should’ve been included in the sport package. I’m planning on a tune. There’s a place called Real Auto Dynamics in Oceanside NY. I spoke to the owner and he knows this motor. He said after he gets into the ECU he can change the shift points and get me 40 hp. He has a 4 wheel dyno. Does $1000 sound pricey??. I would have to make 2 trips to his location. One to get all the data and pay licenses to gain access to the computer. For some reason you can’t do everything in a day. I’m still a little new to this. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Philip Klipper

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”