2014 Rogue SL Water Leak In Tailgate

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
DAC603
Car: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

I have water leaking into my tailgate of my brand new 2014 Sl. I went to my dealer and was told Nissan was aware of the problem and when they hear back from them they would contact me. Does anyone know how widespread this problem is? Just curious.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

I think you are #2 on here. But then again, there are only like 5 members on here with the new Rogue. :biggrin:

Leonard1818

yeah, you are the 2nd one I've heard about on these forums reporting this issue.

Things like this make the Rav4 more and more appealing to me... (and the Rogue is the front-runner right now)

DAC603

Leonard1818 wrote:yeah, you are the 2nd one I've heard about on these forums reporting this issue.

Things like this make the Rav4 more and more appealing to me... (and the Rogue is the front-runner right now)
Although I do not have very much time behind the wheel of my new Rogue and not withstanding the fact that the water leak might prove to be a bit of a pain, I am still very pleased with the car overall.

JLD94
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue S Moonlight White

Had my 2014 6 weeks, and almost 3000 miles, and no leaks yet. Get it fixed ASAP, it just makes your car smell if you let it go to long. ;)

DAC603

JLD94 wrote:Had my 2014 6 weeks, and almost 3000 miles, and no leaks yet. Get it fixed ASAP, it just makes your car smell if you let it go to long. ;)
Just waiting for the Nissan engineers to come up with the fix!!!

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

DAC603 wrote:
JLD94 wrote:Had my 2014 6 weeks, and almost 3000 miles, and no leaks yet. Get it fixed ASAP, it just makes your car smell if you let it go to long. ;)
Just waiting for the Nissan engineers to come up with the fix!!!
in the meantime, find the point of entry, and apply RTV

DAC603

DAC603 wrote:I have water leaking into my tailgate of my brand new 2014 Sl. I went to my dealer and was told Nissan was aware of the problem and when they hear back from them they would contact me. Does anyone know how widespread this problem is? Just curious.

I just received a call from my dealer and Nissan will replace the rear window and the lift tailgate switch.

bluebird5
Car: BMW, lamborgini, frarri

Things like this make the Rav4 more and more appealing to me...

DAC603

bluebird5 wrote:Things like this make the Rav4 more and more appealing to me...
The water leak will be fixed,however, I am afraid the heater may be a different story. As it is at the dealer now, I will soon find out!

Leonard1818

bluebird5 wrote:Things like this make the Rav4 more and more appealing to me...
Go look into one. It came down to the Roge vs. Rav4 for us... after spending a couple of weeks on this forum (and realizing that a black SL w/premium package simply doesn't exist in my area) we bought a Rav4. So far, so good.

charger12
Car: 2014 Rogue Sv

So we picked up our new 2014 Rogue SV and to our dismay noticed water pooled in the rear tail light. The dealer indicated that they would replace the light, however after reading these posts it appears that it is a known issue and more that just replacing the tail light. I would assume the dealer should have known of this generic issue but failed to mention anything. It is our first Nissan so we are now second guessing our decision.

DAC603

On the inside bottom of your tailgate there are three vent holes and the close tailgate switch. Check to see if you have water comming out of them. In my case the the switch was shorted out and you could see small pools of water under all of them. Not to mention the ice around the switch.

charger12
Car: 2014 Rogue Sv

Do you have a power lift gate? In my case the water actually ended up freezing inside the light. The dealer has replaced the light and sent it to Nissan. They did indicate that the seal on the rear tailgate was checked and is OK. After replacement I noticed the gap between the edge of the replaced light and the body was larger than the similar gap on the other tail light. I will just have to see if a leak occurs during a car wash or rain.

DAC603

charger12 wrote:Do you have a power lift gate? In my case the water actually ended up freezing inside the light. The dealer has replaced the light and sent it to Nissan. They did indicate that the seal on the rear tailgate was checked and is OK. After replacement I noticed the gap between the edge of the replaced light and the body was larger than the similar gap on the other tail light. I will just have to see if a leak occurs during a car wash or rain.
Yes, I have a power tailgate. It was rain that told the tail for me.

GeekyRogue
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Had my 2014 Rogue AWD SL for almost a month. Driven on the highway in some ugly winter conditions, and also through a high pressure car wash. No leak. After reading your post, I carefully inspected all around the rubber seal of the tailgate. A lot of winter slush on the outside, perfectly clean on the inside. Will keep an eye on it.

MAP1202
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Purchased 2014 Nissan Rogue SV AWD in January. Noticed water in trunk cargo area a couple of times after rain or carwash but just thought it was from water dripping from opening the rear hatch. Had some heavy rain here in NY over the weekend 03/29, 03/30 and noticed more water. Tested it with hose and water is seen gushing down from top of rear hatch. Will be taking it to dealer this week. Hope they are able to resolve problem.

engineer20
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Package

on my 2015 rogue sv awd, i noticed a little puddle of water on the driveway after driving the rogue yesterday
was it the ac? is this normal and ok or should i have it serviced at the dealership asap since it's still under warranty? thanks.

karl_z
Car: Nissan Rogue 2015
SV with Premium and Family Package

engineer20 wrote:on my 2015 rogue sv awd, i noticed a little puddle of water on the driveway after driving the rogue yesterday
was it the ac? is this normal and ok or should i have it serviced at the dealership asap since it's still under warranty? thanks.

Did you use the AC of the car? It could just be condensation from the AC which is normal. Check out if the liquid has any color or if it has any smell.

Jason1077
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I have noticed the same problem when the tailgate switch on the bottom inside of the tailgate stopped working. I noticed water coming from all 3 holes and water has leaked all underneath the rear where my spare tire is. I pulled the panel off the tailgate and there was water inside. I have no idea where this is leaking from. Did you find a fix?

Maximus099
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

This might be a long shot but can it be the hose that brings the windshiled washer fluid to the nozzle at the rear window?

GingerSweets
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV

I have had my 2014 Rogue now for 2 years and just started noticing the water leak in the tailgate. I had it looked at by a auto shop and it's not the light, as there is no water at all in the tail light and zero corrosion, they said they seal is gone. This is not something I could have done.... it goes in for a recall this week, will Nissan also cover this issue as it has been known??

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If you're building up water inside the tailgate like some of those other posters then it means the drains are clogged. There are drain slots at the base of the hatch. They're generally easy enough to clean out unless there's a huge amount of crud in the bottom of the door, just poke them clear with a small screwdriver. If they keep clogging then pop the inside panel and remove the crud manually.

Return to “Rogue Forum”