2014 Versa note SL no heat

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Rusty45
Car: 2014 Nissan Versa Note SL

Hello recently purchased the 2014 Note. I live in Winnipeg Manitoba it goes below -20 C° all the time. With the heat on max and the fan set at 2 with a 30 min drive to work I get fairly warm air however the temperature gauge only indicates 4 to 5 lights and it drops to 2 to 3 at red lights. Normal operating temperature it indicates 8 or 9 lights.
Anyone else having this problem?
Any thoughts on what's causing it ? The dealer said the car isn't designed for this temperature.
Thanks

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

This kind of s*** pisses me off.
Find a new dealer, if possible, for a second opinion. The heat should work just fine in a car that new.

I mean, we all know its cold out, but for it to be soooo cold outside that your heat doesn't work because 'the car isn't designed for this temperature' is a crock of s***. Call Nissan North America and get the car at least looked at instead of some jerkoff yanking you around instead of actually investigating the problem like they're supposed to do.

Nissan Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 685003
Franklin, TN 37068-5003
Phone: (800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)

Monday through Friday:
7:00 AM to 7:00 PM CST

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Yeah, if your car doesn't produce heat, there is a major issue. Over cooling of an engine can almost as bad as overheating an engine, especially in terms of efficiency.

I second Frap and would get a second opinion from a reputable dealer, this sounds like you got a dealer who doesn't want to work on a car if they have to.

Definitely post back with your results.

Possible causes include failing water pump or thermostat, malfunctioning blend door or controls (it only opens so far and not far enough for much heat), or clogged heater core(which is unlikely being that its a new car).

mrmont
Car: 2008 Versa SL hatchback CVT

You may have a bad thermostat or need one with a higher temperature rating since you're living where it gets so cold.

You could also add an engine block heater you can plug in overnight so that you don't have to wait so long for the heat to come out.

Your dealer sounds clueless! You'd think one in that area would be an expert in how to cope with cold weather problems.

Rusty45

Thanks for the responses I will be taken it to the same dealer again. They have had the car for a few weeks before due to a different issue. Misfiring on start up occasionally causing the engine light to come on code 0P300 (misfiring) got a new ECM but the light came on once since the new ECM so I was more concerned with that issue so I wasn't sure if the two were connected. Also if I do take it on the hwy it heats up no problem. But now it revs at 2400-2500rpm @ 100km instead of 1950 rpm so there's lot's acting up with my car. I still like it just want it to be warmer :)

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Yeah man, use the hell out of that warranty while you have it. Hopefully they're setting you up with a loaner, too.
I'm surprised that they changed the ECM and not coils or something cheaper. Probably trying to be shady and bill Nissan back for the most expensive "fixes."

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

Put a piece of cardboard or something less flammable in front of your radiator to reduce the air inlet area to about 1/2 the size and your car will heat up better.
The guys who drive the big rigs up in Alaska and Canada have to do it in those low temps to keep the trucks warm enough...

Seriously, you guys are screaming for blood from the dealer and it's just a simple fix. Relax.

Rusty45

I'm not mad at the dealer I just want my car to work correctly. Also I tried there isn't any access to the radiator from the top or bottom just through the air vents in the bumper. Also it makes great heat on the hwy at 100 kph in -30C° I didn't think it would do that.
FYI was a little mad when the forgot to send the shuttle to pick meup after work but they transferred the rental car rental closer to my work and paid me back for the $5 for the cab ride

RyleyinSTL
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Pkg.

Good luck. My wife has a Note and we are seeing similar heat issues. Saying that, it is much less of a problem for us in St. Louis than it would be in Winterpeg.

It was -15c here for a few mornings in January (coldest temps in 20 years) and the Note did not even warm up one "light bar" on her 3 mile commute to work. Thank goodness for the heated seats. Rusty lives in Winnipeg so he is using a block heater already, even so, that's only going to make sure it starts. That residual heat will quickly dissipate unless the engine can warm itself to counter act the wind chill....given that he is reporting temp drop at red lights (something I have even seen here on cold days, in a much warmer St. Louis) this car was clearly not really intended to operate in those conditions. -15c isn't some freak one off in Western Canada, its an average high temp in January (and Dec, Feb, etc...).

Cardboard is worth a go but you need to get both the top and bottom grill openings or it will mean nothing. Go from the outside with zip ties, you might look like Red Green, but it will be much easier.

Good luck. Back when I lived in Edmonton my 05 Altima took over 30 minutes to blow warm air below -25c. Drove me nuts. I think modern cars must be creating much less waste heat. The trade off for better mileage.

Rusty45

Good news the dealer tested the car and believe that the thermostat is faulty. They have ordered it. I will update after it is installed.

Rev_D21
Car: 1986.5 D21 LB HD 2WD V6 5Speed
1991 D21 Reg 2WD Auto
1995 D21 Reg 2WD 5Spd
1996 D21 Reg 4WD 5Spd
2012 Versa 1.6S 5-Speed

My temp will drop from 180* to 170* at a light. Bear in mind this is a pint sized engine that does not produce much heat to begin with. Once I get going it climbs to 180* with ease. I discussed this with a Master Nissan Tech who has been working on Nissans since 1987 and who also happens to be a good personal friend. Nature of the beast.

Rusty45

Well I had a new thermostat installed yesterday and today was -20°C after 25 minutes the temperature gauge did not make up to the normal spot :mad: any other thoughts?

Rayad
Car: Nissan Note SL

Hello Rusty45
I also have the same issue that you, after 30 min of driving , cabin dont get warm, do you already solve this? i will apreciate any help, because the dealer dont know?

Rusty45

Yes I now have heat in the car however I wouldn't get any heat indicated on the temperature gauge. Also I had a reoccurring check engine light. It indicated misfireing. Turns out the head wasn't touqued properly from the factory. So they replaced the engine. Now everything is great! However in cold weather I only run the fan on 2

docswitzer
Car: 2014 Versa Note SL
2014 Altima 2.5l SV

Did they check your "active grill shutter"? They are designed to run off of the radiator temp control, so maybe it isn't closing? Just a thought.

speciesw
Car: Rogue 2013 Special Edition

hello. i live in Quebec and i have a note 2014 whit 5200km, same problem takes so long to heat, i contact nissan canada and say i have to wait until they find a solution, but how we do on winter time, i have 2 kids and they cry because my car is too cold, the dealer spend 1 day to check it but they find the car normal plus my car runs a 8.9 and just gime 320km 340km max whit a complete tank, that sucks because they sales person say was a economy car in gas. we should be do a claim to get fix this problem, and plus i buy a psp from nissan for 2800$ and this dont cover nothing :( ... i just want to get another car...

randyroman

My husband also has a versa note 2014 and is having heat issues as well. The said there was an air lock and bled it but it is -27C and there is not heat. If vehicles do not have heat at this temperature they should not be selling them in Winnipeg. They told my husband that it is a small engine and will not have heat. He told you may get away telling this to a women but not with me. He had a Hyundi with a 1.2 engine and it had lots of heat. Any suggestions and how to get this rectified and which dealer.

Patrickv
Car: Versa note 2014

Same probleme here, at -20C no more heat . Sometime i get 2-3 light of heat and loose it ona. Red light . Dealer bleeded the cooling systeme twice and did'nt solve it. My cooling systeme get air in it so i suspect the radiator cap, water pump pr head gasket ....

PostItNote

I concluded that the heating system of the Note is marginal at best. It takes 2x or 3x longer to heat up compared to my other cars. It also does not retain heat after you park the car for a short while. Good thing most of the time I do not have any rear seat passengers. Over the holidays I had a chance to sit in the back seat and it was cold, I had to ask to turn up the fan to get some heat.

With our normal Michigan weather, the temp setting is always maxed out. Only after running the car for about 20-30 minutes would I back off the heat setting.

I hope Nissan finds a solution to this problem.

jflauzier
Car: NISSAN VERSA NOTE 2014

Hello Happy Versa NOTE owner,
I own this Versa Note 2014 since two years now
I have approx. 48,000 km on the odometre
I had the "NO HEAT" problem since the beginning...
I leave in QUEBEC and we do have cold weather (-25c several days/nights per year)...
My dealership solve this situation bypassing the CVT transmission cooling system thru the heater...
They say that CVT transmission receive a part of the cooling system and when you bypass it
the engine do receive FULL heating.
It has improve by 50% the heat in the cabin...
I was also told that issue should be resolve by NISSAN engineering staff but they have not yet contacted me!

martelse
Car: 2014 Nissan Versa no heat took it too the dealer. The dealer said this was normal for this kind of car.
Not happy

I have a 2014 Nissan Versa with no heat. Took it to the dealer 3 times still same.
The dealership said this car has very little heat. not happy

versaquebec
Car: versa sedan 2012

Is it possible to share with owner who bypass transmission?

Probably that Nissan won't apply any waranty if transmission is in trouble

DD

blanchae

I replaced the thermostat with a 192 degF one from a 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0L. They are physically identical. Just keep the rubber ring seal from the old one. Spring side goes in block and the jiggle pin is placed at the 12 o'clock position. Now, once the car is warmed up, the temperature gauge is in the middle position even at -15 degC weather. Still takes a while to warm up though.

blanchae

Follow-up to my posting. Still wasn't happy with the heat (wife's car). I found out that if you have a manual transmission, the heater output from the engine goes directly to the heater core and you get lots of heat. If you have a CVT transmission, the heater output from the engine is split between preheating the CVT oil and the heater core. There is a tee connection and the straight-thru path goes to the CVT transmission (smaller hose diameter) and the heater core hose is 90 degrees off from the flow. So the majority of the hot coolant goes to the CVT transmission to warm it up so you get better gas mileage while freezing your butt off.

My latest solution, which the wife says works, is to up the thermostat to 203 DegF (2010 Nissan Sentra, any engine) install with small bleeder hole straight up. Put an orifice in the CVT transmission hose to reduce the coolant flow to it. I made the orifice from a 5/16" bolt, rounded off the head to fit the hose ID and and used the non threaded shaft - 1/2" long to put in the tee fitting. Drilled a 7/32" hole in the center so that the CVT coolant is not completely blocked. So the new orifice has the non-threaded 5/16" shaft in the tee fitting. The head fits in the coolant hose. The original snap ring clamp holds the orifice in place and a new screw style hose clamp holds the hose on the fittings. So far the wife says it's working great.

BRRC
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa , 2011 Nissan Sentra and 2017 Nissan Leaf .

My 2011 heats very slow in the winter .I drive about 6 miles to work and it barely gets warmish by the time I get there .

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

BRRC wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:27 pm
My 2011 heats very slow in the winter .I drive about 6 miles to work and it barely gets warmish by the time I get there.
On an '11 there's a pretty good chance it's a garden variety leaky thermostat, but if the trans is CVT then it could also be an issue with the beehive thermostat like @blanchae described above. I recently discovered (after owning the car for nearly 50K miles!) that the beehive 'stat on our '13 Altima was stuck wide open and causing the CVT to run warmer than others. While we never noticed any heating deficiency, here in Arkansas that may have simply owed to mild winters.

For those owning '13~'15 Versas and Sentras, there's actually a problem with the ECM firmware that can keep the car from warming up fully in extreme cold. There's a bulletin for it, NTB16-107.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/ ... 1-9999.pdf

Return to “Versa General Chat”