2014 Rogue SV - FWD - New Rotors or just pads

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
nav2014
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV - FWD

Hi,

I have a dilemma. My Rogue righw now is at 76k km and will be due for servicing soon at 78k km. Last service at 70k I was told I have 4mm pad left in all 4 pads and will need new Rotors and Pads at next service.
Was quoted $441 (+ 13% tax here in Ontario) per axle (so total $997) for the value or second line nissan pads and rotors.
I just started to hear a squeal in the morning and sometimes when breaking. Thought it came from rear passenger tire. I wanted to explore possibility of resurfacing these original rotors and just putting in new pads. Nissan dealer will not do this.
So went to Meineke for free brake inspection.
They say front is 4-5mm and rear is 3mm. Squealing sound is not that much and came only once and is from front. They gave quote for changing pads only and just buffing the rotors and not machining as that will thin them and the current condition of rotors is pretty good. To my eyes, the visible surface behind the wheels looks smooth.
Quoted $666 including tax to just replace with Napa performance line pad in front and Advanced in rear vs $997 at dealer

As labor is the most here with $165 per axle at Mieneke and $200 at Nissan dealer, just wondering if I just replaced pads, will the factor rotors last another 50k kms or however long these new pads last. I have no vibration or shaking when breaking.
Or am I better off just changing rotors at this time. Nissan gives just 20k km or 1 year warranty while the original ones so far at 76k are going strong.

Please advice what your experience has been. My driving is 50-50 highway and local roads.

rowlands57

Someone needs to just measure the rotors and determine if they are still well above the minimum thickness. That number should be stamped into the rotors on the outer perimeter, if not you should still be able to look it up somewhere I'd imagine. I would say that since you're not experiencing any vibrations when braking you 'should' be OK though.

As far as those quotes go they seem high to me since changing out pads alone is borderline trivial work. Regardless of the option you take be sure that they properly clean and lube the caliper guide pins. When I did my rear brakes I found the guide pins to be in very poor condition.

nav2014

I did not know about Rotor thickness. Mieneke technician never mentioned that. Yes, the labor of $165 per axle to change pads seems a lot higher. I wish there was someone here on the forums from Greater Toronto area that could refer me to a good local mechanic who knows Nissan Rogue.

Do they sell this second line also know as Value Advantage parts in US ? I will be visiting there soon for a weekend and might just get the pads replaced there if I can find them.

rowlands57

If you are in the US anytime soon and find a reputable shop, there are many good brands of brake pads on teh marketto. Usually the upper levels of each line are 'ceramic' pads. If you ask for them you can be pretty sure you're getting the top of the line pads. I personally use Wearever Platinum pads when I do maintenance, those pads are available at Advance Auto and they come with appropriate new hardware for each vehicle. Wearever also has Gold and Basic pads but they are not ceramic and some don't come with the hardware. I figure if I'm doing the labor the spread in the price for the quality parts is really worth it.

nav2014

http://www.nirogue.com/service_data_and ... _-800.html

Does this interpretation make sense

Rotor front wear limit thickness 24, Rear 14
Pad front 2, Rear 1.5

I am assuming these are both in mm as pad usually they say mm. I was told by dealer that when pads are down to 3mm it is time to change, while here Nissan says 2 for Front and 1.5 for Rear.

rowlands57

You are correct about the measurements. They are in mm and the reason the fronts are much wider is the cooling fins in the rotors, the rears don't have them and are just solid discs.

Anyway, if you get measurements on the rotors you can see what you really need to do.

Also, dealers are quick to sell you stuff you don't absolutely need and I suspect that if you do a reading on those pads you may find you're in better shape than they led you to believe. Taking the advice of anyone working on commission should always be questioned in my opinion.

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

Based on those measurements, I'd hold off doing anything immediately. Keep an eye out for Tire store "sales" or coupons for brake service. And start asking coworkers about where they go for service like that. Based on their recommendations you may find a reputable independent mechanic that will give you a better price. For brake jobs you won't need any specific Nissan expertise. No need to go to dealer.

We have just over 50,000 miles (80,000KM) on our 2015 and brake pads and rotors look great on all 4 wheels. Nowhere near needing replaced. About 75/25 split HWY/City for miles.

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

Time to dig out your tools and hang out underneath your vehicle. $1000 is highway robbery even if it is Canadian dollars, you can do the whole job for less than $200 including the rotors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx4-xKsMStU

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Holy crab!!! $1000 CAD is way too expensive, quiet literally. What stealership did you took this Rogue to?

When I took my Rogue in, the rears costed me $223 for the cheap nissan part with resurfaced Rotors, and I gotta check what the fronts costed me since my maintainence records doesn't have a price breakdown.

Rogue Jarhead

If you scroll most of the way down you will find Bosch quietcast rotors fronts are less than $35 rears are $28 each so for $126 or so you have your rotors front and back. They even have genuine Nissan front rotors for $60 each. I refuse to mount all the other brands on any of my vehicles. Powerstop, duraglo, delco, centric all made in China junk.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nis ... rotor,1896

Bosch blue or quietcast pads, $25 for the rear $42 for the front, Bosch, akebono (USA) or brembo, all good choices although brembo is likely still made in China, I’m certain every other brand listed is. Both complete axles less than $200 and your quality educational time with your vehicle.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nis ... e+pad,1684

jokerstone
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue

Is there really a difference between the 3rd row front brakes and the excl 3rd row ones? Dealer said the 3rd row rotors are bigger. Also where can I get Bosch QuietCast for the 3rd row Rogue?

Rogue Jarhead

It does look like there is a difference. On the rock auto website, I see different applications based on a letter in the vin number, and I see no Bosch listed for third row seating. Sometimes you just have to get the best you can that fits what you have.

You might try eBay or amazon.

If you’re doing the job yourself you might try pricing them at the dealer. Many dealers offer over the counter discounts on parts. If you buy them and take the parts with you and install them yourself.

Return to “Rogue Forum”