2014 QX80 lug nuts

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
footy3
Car: '14 QX80

Hi all, just joined the forum and hoping someone can help me. I have a 2014 QX80 with about 84k miles on it. Put new tires on and the tire shop told me the lugs nuts have all "swollen", caused by rust/corrosion forming in between the actual nut and the shiny cover they put on it, so a 21mm socket will no longer fit. I need to replace 24 lug nuts and can't find any aftermarket that will fit. To add insult to injury (I think this design is pure stupidity) my local dealer wants about $9.50 per lug nut! If anyone can point me in the direction of a reasonable replacement or solution, i'd truly appreciate it. I have searched high and low, every big box store, local auto parts store and website I can find, but can't find a guaranteed replacement fit. Dorman doesn't make one and I don't know where else to look. Thanks in advance.

macgiver

When I've been in a similar situation , price vs availability = dead end , I just incrementally install - like in your case one or two wheels at a time , spreading out the 'hit' to the wallet , on that $9.50/Lug.

I know I'm not showing where to get the better deal , just IF you still can't come to find the answer you want ya may just "bite the bullet" this way.

footy3
Car: '14 QX80

macgiver wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:51 pm
When I've been in a similar situation , price vs availability = dead end , I just incrementally install - like in your case one or two wheels at a time , spreading out the 'hit' to the wallet , on that $9.50/Lug.

I know I'm not showing where to get the better deal , just IF you still can't come to find the answer you want ya may just "bite the bullet" this way.
I hear you, problem is it's the wife's car, and the day she gets a flat and AAA can't get the wheel off because the lug nuts are swollen and she has to get towed to a repair shop, well I'll be wishing I'd just spent the $240 bucks!

Seriously though, I'm shocked the car companies are using these nuts, it's a big problem on Jeep and Dodge vehicles too. Some guy gets run over on the side of the road cause he's been jerking around with the lug nuts on a highway shoulder for an hour and a half and gets killed, gonna be a long day for the manufacturer in court....

macgiver

Absolutely - I had to turn down a friend of sister-in-law in AZ , 118 deg , stop&go and I just had to tell'em ,
"ya got AAA , here's a tow co., sorry can't go out in that and mess with lugs that tire shops likely overtorked".
Not even funny - :tisk:

BigBertha

Check with your local dealer parts department, they usually keep the old lug nut when they service our trucks. Got a whole set (24) for free...

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”