2014 Q50S Hybrid Long-Term Reliability

In 2014, the G37 Sedan became Infiniti Q50. G37 Coupe and Convertible became Infiniti Q60 under Infiniti's new naming structure - Here's the place to discuss the Q50 and Q60!
nstaur

Looking to get a new car. At this point for me, I'm comparing between 2012-2014 Acura TL-SH AWD (Advance Package) and a 2014 Q50S Hybrid. I know I can expect the TL to be good on reliability, but haven't seen much on the 2014 Q50s Hybrid in terms of long-term reliability (besides the infotainment issues- nbd to me). Any info that I'm missing? Any near 100k miles?

lexcrob
Car: I get a different ride faster than I could update this.

Any hybrid will be spoty after 100k. Hybrids are good lease vehicles. Not so much on the long term reliability. Repair costs will eat the car alive as nobody can work on the things but the dealers.

nstaur

That makes sense. I've seen only one or two posts in my searches over the past month that talked about replacement packs being well into the $10k range.

Anyone on here with a hybrid that can chime in with their anecdotes?

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

** EDITED **

I have talked to a couple guys that had to replace the battery pack in the Q50 hybrid (one covered under warranty) the other two were out of warranty. They paid roughly $1620 at the dealership including installation (and a core swap, IIRC). However, it was for a single pack in the set of 12. So over $10k to replace the entire set (an unlikely scenario, but possible with long term ownership). There was one guy with a horror story about buying a branded title hybrid and having to replace all 12. He got it done for $11k including labor.

The Q50S hybrid is a fantastic car, but hybrids have additional components that can fail and require replacement. I would do thorough research on both cars. Me... I prefer good ol gassers myself. The Q50 hybrid does give absolutely fantastic performance and fuel economy in one nicely styled package, but like any hybrid or electric, it's going to recoup some of the operating cost savings with component wear.

Good luck with your car search!

RicerX

^ I had to fix my above post to fix some bad info I had. Hopefully you didn't see it before I updated. haha

nstaur

RicerX wrote:** EDITED **

I have talked to a couple guys that had to replace the battery pack in the Q50 hybrid (one covered under warranty) the other two were out of warranty. They paid roughly $1620 at the dealership including installation (and a core swap, IIRC). However, it was for a single pack in the set of 12. So over $10k to replace the entire set (an unlikely scenario, but possible with long term ownership). There was one guy with a horror story about buying a branded title hybrid and having to replace all 12. He got it done for $11k including labor.

The Q50S hybrid is a fantastic car, but hybrids have additional components that can fail and require replacement. I would do thorough research on both cars. Me... I prefer good ol gassers myself. The Q50 hybrid does give absolutely fantastic performance and fuel economy in one nicely styled package, but like any hybrid or electric, it's going to recoup some of the operating cost savings with component wear.

Good luck with your car search!
Thanks for the post. I saw some post similar about replacing the packs. I agree on the op costs vs. wear. Just contemplating helping the environment a bit :dblthumb:
But I may just look into the gas q50s again. It's between Q50 and TL-SH at this point :gotme

RicerX

I think if you're focused on driving dynamics, you'll find the Q50 to be superior to the TL. I think it's a toss-up between the two regarding anything interior, especially the electronics. Both are great cars.

Have you looked at battery pack stuff with the TL? I'm curious in how it compares.

Return to “Infiniti Q50 / Q60 Forum”