2014 Infiniti steering wheel issue

In 2014, the G37 Sedan became Infiniti Q50. G37 Coupe and Convertible became Infiniti Q60 under Infiniti's new naming structure - Here's the place to discuss the Q50 and Q60!
hilmyhamed
Car: 2014 Infinito Q50S

I just picked my brand new 2014 Q50S and i have been experienceing some really strange issue witht the steering wheel. Its not even been 2 weeks and the car already got issues.

Issues are;
- Steering looked up with errors on dash board
- Really heavy steering doe to failed drive by wire
- Dangerous to drive

Called my dealership and they picked up the car and gave me a replacement. After there investigation they said my car has the latest software ( Apperently there was software issue affecting this but not in my case) on it and Infiniti Canada advised them to replace some electronic control unit. I am very dissappointed to say the list and i have to wait 5 business days to get the part in and have the dealership replace it. I am paying for a car that i cant drive..!!!! :wtf2:

Just wondering if anyone experienced this issue and has had it resolved

Thanks

ralfp
Car: 2014 QX50

Yes to the problem, no to the resolution...

I had the issue on a Q50s during a one-day test drive. Upon starting in the morning the steering was "locked up" (no power) and the dash had some error message. Worked after power cycling the car. Needless to say, the test drive did not result in a sale.

When I returned the car the dealer said there was a firmware fix to the problem. I did not ask why they didn't apply the fix TO THEIR OWN CAR. :confused: My guess is that the "fix" either does not fix things or removes some functionality.

hilmyhamed

Finally got the car back after 2 days after calling Infiniti Canada and lodged a complaint. They rushed the part and got the car fixed in 2 days. So far I have left the car parked outside over night in frigid cold -35 Celsius and so far the issue hasn't reappeared.

Don't get me wrong I love the car and have no regrets getting it. Just surprised that Infiniti dropped the ball on quality control. This is the car that they claim is the money maker formerly the G series and now Q50. If they keep messing around with quality control like this will end up biting them in there behinds.

I enjoy the paddle shifters in sport mode. The car revs different from the G series and takes a couple trial runs to get used to the throttle and definitely smoother gear shifts as well

Anyways I will update this if I experience the issue again.

cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

I have had my Q50 S hybrid AWD since Sept 2013 with no issue. You may need software update.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

hilmyhamed wrote:I just picked my brand new 2014 Q50S and i have been experienceing some really strange issue witht the steering wheel. Its not even been 2 weeks and the car already got issues.

Issues are;
- Steering looked up with errors on dash board
- Really heavy steering doe to failed drive by wire
- Dangerous to drive

Called my dealership and they picked up the car and gave me a replacement. After there investigation they said my car has the latest software ( Apperently there was software issue affecting this but not in my case) on it and Infiniti Canada advised them to replace some electronic control unit. I am very dissappointed to say the list and i have to wait 5 business days to get the part in and have the dealership replace it. I am paying for a car that i cant drive..!!!! :wtf2:

Just wondering if anyone experienced this issue and has had it resolved

Thanks
Check this out.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/infiniti-q5 ... oblem.html

cmesurf

Buzzman

The recall (mentioned in the link above) was for about 2 dozen Q50s only, which were made in May 2013 , check with your dealer as they would have the information on which VINs are impacted.

hilmyhamed

So far so good I haven't experienced the steering wheel issue again.

Will keep you guys posted

So far enjoying the car and cant wait to have my summer 20' on

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Anyone else having issues with the vehicle after the latest series of updates? I'm currently looking to replace our G35s sedan with a Q50xS

hilmyhamed

I would highly recommend the the Q50S. The software issue I had was caused due to the cold climate in Canada but now that's been fixed. I enjoy the car very much and there is no comparison to the g series when it comes to comfort and drive.

Best of luck

cmesurf

I have Q50S-Hybrid AWD since Sept 2013, no issues.

GeorgeSF
Car: 2014 Infiniti Q50

Last January after driving our 3 week old Q50 on the Interstate for several hours, we pulled off to get some food. Just outside the restaurant the steering quit. I managed to wrestle it into a parking space. At first I thought restarting it would fix the problem. Then I thought we should let it cool down and try it again. After we ate we tried again, but the problem persisted. We called the 24 hour help line and they eventually got us help. It was Saturday night. To make a long story shorter, we experienced a lot of inconvenience, but Infiniti paid for all of out out-of-pocket expenses (taxi, rental car, etc.) The dealer was able to fix it in a day (Monday) and we have had not had any further problems. We still love the car.

cmesurf

GeorgeSF wrote:Last January after driving our 3 week old Q50 on the Interstate for several hours, we pulled off to get some food. Just outside the restaurant the steering quit. I managed to wrestle it into a parking space. At first I thought restarting it would fix the problem. Then I thought we should let it cool down and try it again. After we ate we tried again, but the problem persisted. We called the 24 hour help line and they eventually got us help. It was Saturday night. To make a long story shorter, we experienced a lot of inconvenience, but Infiniti paid for all of out out-of-pocket expenses (taxi, rental car, etc.) The dealer was able to fix it in a day (Monday) and we have had not had any further problems. We still love the car.
Most likely you did not have the latest DAS (Direct Adaptive Steering) software update. I have had Q50s Hybrid AWD with no issues. :dblthumb:

Whereisit
Car: Q50

Hi
I had an issue with my brand new Q50 last eyar.
Had a courtesy car for one month till,they fixed the 3modules so that the drive by wire would work properly and I couls safely drive
But like groundhog day, the issue has reappeared this week....
Has this happened to ayone else?
They say they will replace the same modules, really, what will those do bettter than the brand new ones they installed back in January

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Whereisit wrote:Hi
I had an issue with my brand new Q50 last eyar.
Had a courtesy car for one month till,they fixed the 3modules so that the drive by wire would work properly and I couls safely drive
But like groundhog day, the issue has reappeared this week....
Has this happened to ayone else?
They say they will replace the same modules, really, what will those do bettter than the brand new ones they installed back in January
Anyone else had this happen again since the main fix?

In a way I'm glad I didn't get the option but in a way I wish I did :blush:

slearmtl

We have just seen this problem for the second time today. In January the problem came up and Infiniti came tow the car to their garage and took about a week to have it "fixed". They said is was a problem in the software and was caused by the cold temperatures. Today it is again -18 and the steering gave out. We are in contact with them again to get it fixed.

JRS11

Is this limited to the drive by wire models? I have heard about this issue and also radio issues (electronic). I am thinking of buying a '14 preowned Q50 and want to know as much as I can in order to make the proper decision, thanks much to all who reply.

audtatious

This issue with the drive by wire was supposed to be fixed and I've rarely heard any more issues. Otherwise the steering is manual and you don't have any electronics to cause issues (but you lose telescopic functionality....stupid ideal INFINITI!!!).

The only issue I've had with the audio is it takes, like, 1-2 minutes from start up for the system to fully boot. Unless it's booted you don't get the reverse lines on the monitor. There is limited other software you can load and it's kinda clunky (facebook, google search, email and calendar). I have had it reboot before when driving (does not cause a problem, screen just goes out and comes back). Otherwise it's been fine :)

JRS11

Thank you, what i wanted to know. What do you mean by telescopic functionality?

Thanks again

audtatious

Well, I have a AWD sport with Premium and navigation packages. This does not come with power tilt and telescopic steering; you need the Deluxe Touring package for that (which includes the Direct Adaptive Steering). Thus, I have a manual tilt/telescoping.....which I didn't realize was telescoping until just now as I looked at the owners manual and simply had not pulled hard enough in the past.

ooops

JRS11

Thanks again, I sure hop a Premium (I think that is the model under the S) comes with an adjustable steering wheel. I think it does as I test drove one that was supposed to be like the one I am looking to buy. I will check. i can live with a manually adjusting steering wheel. I do hate the way Infiniti is grouping the packages on '15, maybe it was different on '14.

audtatious

They are adjustable, just manually if you don't get the Deluxe Touring package.

eshatilla
Car: Infiniti M35X

I had the famous steering issue in January 2014 when my Q50 was brand new. I was given 2 software updates at the time and was told this would definitely fix the issue. Well guess what...1 year later and the issue has returned. This is my 3rd Infiniti and yes, my last.

audtatious

Did you have issues with the other two Infiniti's?

MinnesotaDriver
Car: 2014 Infiniti Q50

I first experienced the steering lockup at Christmastime of 2013, before the recall was announced. Each time it failed I was able to get it to work after restarting the car a few times, but when it failed again about 10 blocks from the dealer, I managed to drive it over to see what they could do. However, it was New Year's Eve afternoon and the crew had gone home, so I was turned away -- told to get it home on my own. Near my house, the steering would not correct itself at a corner turn and I hit a snowbank, cracking the bumper. Infiniti and dealer ultimately towed the car, fixed the bumper (at their cost), did the software upgrade and gave me a loaner. All was fine until Feb. 2015 when the steering failed again. That was it ... under Minnesota Lemon Law, Infiniti is buying it back tomorrow. I know Infiniti vehicles have a great reputation, but the dangerous risk that this problem posed -- and the potential that it could occur again -- has soured me on this brand.

audtatious

Steer by wire is such a new electronic device I stayed away from it. I'm on my 3rd Infiniti and have had nothing but good things to say about them. I had 3 Nissan's before I moved to Infiniti and have never had any real issues. Stinks people are being run off due to this....

kcducttaper
Car: '94 Mercury Villager

I think the concept is pretty cool, but the execution makes me nervous until they get the bugs worked out. I still have yet to decide if I want the electronic or mechanical steering version though. The electronic was cool and had a lot of wow factor on the test drive to freak passengers out with, but I don't think electronic steering can ever replace mechanical steering in terms of feel and reliability and I have no tolerance for a preventable steering failure.

I call complete BS on the cold weather causing the electronics problem though. Electrons don't care about temperature and if another component is sensitive to "cold" weather, that's just poor engineering. Besides; you can't just fix ambient temp thermal issues by dropping in a software patch.

audtatious

Electrons themselves may not care about temperature but some components can get condensation due to extreme hot/cold temp changes in a car (and humidity due to melting snow/wet floor boards, whatever) and other stuff can get brittle. But, yes, most car electronics are built to accept normal weather conditions and a software patch sure would not fix any physical problem with a component.

Return to “Infiniti Q50 / Q60 Forum”