2013 Xterra cranks but will not start

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
truckmen
Car: 2013 Nissan Xterra

Hello all!

I've got a real problem here with my 2013 Xterra. The SUV cranks but will not start. Let me tell you how this came about and what we have done so far:

The car:
2013 Xterra 4x4 auto with 70,000 miles. No problems before. Ran and and when started, runs fine, smooth with no noticeable issues.

During last winter, the Xterra would not start on it's own. We had to jump it to get it started. Changed the battery and it still did same. This was an intermittent problem lasting al winter into last spring. To get it to start, we would jump it from another car. it would always start then. Also, as I had said, it was intermittent, it seemed to have had this problem the colder it got. In fact, once warmed up, the problem seemed to go away as we shut it off and started it up with no problems.

During these bouts of non-starting, we tried pulling then intake horn and shot ether into the TB with no results.
We cleaned battery connections, replaced battery connections to no avail. replaced the battery as well.

Then during last spring, the problem came back with a vengeance. And after being warmed up and driven for several hours, the car would not start at all, with a jump and even still warm. The car would turn over so the staring circuit was in good shape. It just would not fire.

After installing an after market crank sensor and the 2 cam sensors, the car still would not start. Towed to the Wytheville, VA Nissan dealer. They looked at it. They said it was the ECM. I hauled the car to Bangor, ME. and installed a replacement ECM. Still cranks but no start.

At the Bangor, Maine Nissan dealer. They checked the ECM and said it was good; they also replace the crank sensor and 2 cam sensors with OEM. Still does not start. The bill so far is past $1,000.00 and we do not know what is causing this not to start.

Can anyone help with suggestions?

truckmen

Hello all,

I've just wanted to follow up on what caused this non-starting issue.
We finally determined that the ECM was bad so I ordered another one, switched it out. What caused me further headaches was when I replaced the ECM, I apparently had bent a pin while plugging in the replacement ECM. At least that is what the dealership in Bangor, Maine had told me. After $1,400's worth of trouble-shooting time, they located that mistake, corrected it and the X started. I have to believe them but it's really difficult for me to believe I have bent a pin while connecting up the replacement.

I now have another problem:
Ever since the X came back from the dealership, I found I have no ABS, skid control or 4-wheel drive. The 2 former items shows up with dash indicator. The 4-wheel drive indicator flashes when I attempt to engage that. Can anyone tell me where and how I may start my search for what is causing these components to malfunction and if I can use a multimeter to narrow down what it is that is bad?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Ralph

truckmen

Again:

Ever since the X came back from the dealership, I found I have no ABS, skid control or 4-wheel drive. The 2 former items shows up with dash indicator. The 4-wheel drive indicator flashes when I attempt to engage that. Can anyone tell me where and how I may start my search for what is causing these components to malfunction and if I can use a multimeter to narrow down what it is that is bad? :confused:

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

That sounds like an ECM issue, I would take it straight back there.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”