2013 Wheel Bearings

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
1badrass
Car: 2013 Infiniti m37S

Hi first time posting. I have a 2013 infiniti m37s, I am hearing a woooing sound coming from the front right tire and over the past few weeks its been getting louder and its annoying me. Took it into the dealer this past weekend, and they told me it was the tires and they needed to rotate it. Which they said they did. While driving home from the dealer, the noise was still there. I called the service adviser and said the noise is still there. He explained its the tires and that's how all low profile tires are after they get to a certain mileage, they start going wooo wooo. For some reason I find it hard to believe that statement. Can someone shed some light on the subject or let me know if what they are saying is true.

Thanks

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Hi, welcome to the forum. You have posted in the wrong sub-forum, so I am moving your thread to the correct location.

Definitely sounds like a bearing issue. I'd go to another shop to get another opinion.

As far as changing, it's relatively easy for a 2007, so I'm assuming the Y51 (2011+) isn't much different.

austin713
Car: 2011 M37

does the sound change when the wheels are moved to the rear? how many miles do you have on your tires?

1badrass

No the sound didn't change at all still the same noise. i have roughly 14,000 miles on it.

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

Does the sound lessen or worsen when turn left or right?

How about when you brake or accelerate?

1badrass

when I turn to the right and driving around a turn i hear it more pronounced than when i turn to the left. When accelerating or braking the noise adjusts if i am slowing down or going faster.

silberma
Car: 2015 70QL

Low-profile tires will generally be louder than your average tire, some are worse than others. This is because a low profile tire means a wider tire and this translates to more friction and more contact area for the tire with the road to generate road noise. They will become significantly Noisier with more wear and higher speed.
Also, most high performance directional tires get loud after 8,000 miles as the tuning from depth of tread begins to wear down.
This problem is more significant with cheaper tires such as Generals because the rubber on the tire is a lot harder.
Tire rack's website is great for comparing multiple tires in terms of relative comfort, traction, noise, etc.

AlphaSnacks
Car: 2013 M56S Aero

Unfortunately, the dealer is actually correct. I had this exact issue on my car. I also have an S-model with the 20s. The OEM Bridgestones around 14K miles started making the same awful noise. I also feared it was a bearing issue, but failing bearings actually make a much worse sound than that. I rotated them and it only helped very briefly until the sound returned with a week or two. I thought it was the alignment and had that performed twice. Nope. It was just the tires and they were wearing unevenly for no apparent reason besides being s*** Bridgestones that all car makes love to use as OEM tires.

The reason why the sound is also so pronounced and annoying is because the Bose active noise cancelation system cannot fully defeat and suppress the noise, so it ends up coming into the cabin with almost a boom or wooooo sound. I went out and bought a set of Continental DW and it fixed everything. It was the most incredible experience to jump into the car, accelerate and it was whisper quiet inside.

So yeah, dealer is right. It's the tires. If it were bearings, believe they'd have wanted your money or the warranty work.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”