2013 Tech Package

General discussion area for the L33-chassis Altima.
mag318
Car: Nissan Rogue

I'm contemplating buying a 2013 Altima sedan and have been going back and forth on the Tech Package option. I wonder if this will be a useful option or just something to go wrong. My dealer is waiting for more Altimas to arrive with this option, but in the mean time I've been looking at a Metallic Slate SL Model with everything I want but the tech package. Tough decision.

Honva
Car: 2012 Rogue SL AWD

The tech package is a great value. It included a lot of upgrades. You get the build in GPS which is a lot neater than a dash mount or window mount unit. You also get a larger screen for the audio unit. 7" vs 5". The Nissan Connect function Google send to car and Google POI search is very handy. Many manufacturers charge $2000 just for these Nav functions.

Furthermore, the 3 safety warning systems are good add-ons. It appears redundant to a good driver. However, even a good driver could sometimes be absent minded for whatever distraction or condition. Even if the warning system worked only once in the years you drive to avoid an accident, it could be a life saver and well worth the money.

To me, if one is spending that much to get the SL, it would be a no brainer to get the tech package as well.

mag318

Honva, you make some good points and I may just have to order one with the options I like. My dealer has several SLs coming with the tech package but probably not till October. As with any updated model roll out these new Altimas are in great demand.

Honva

mag318 wrote:Honva, you make some good points and I may just have to order one with the options I like. My dealer has several SLs coming with the tech package but probably not till October. As with any updated model roll out these new Altimas are in great demand.
Yes, they are hard to get at, especially the SL+Tech. I ordered mine in July and is still waiting.

mag318

Honva, did you order the 3.5 or 2.5 engine? I drove both and while the 2.5 is perfectly adequate the 3.5 was something else, it's power really made the car feel sporty and I love the paddle shifters. I'm going to drive both again before making my final decision. The 2.5 makes sense with the gas prices but the 3.5 is so much more fun plus it comes with the HID headlights. Why these aren't available with the 2.5 doesn't make sense. Even my 2008 Rogue SL AWD had HIDs and paddle shifters.

Honva

mag318 wrote:Honva, did you order the 3.5 or 2.5 engine? I drove both and while the 2.5 is perfectly adequate the 3.5 was something else, it's power really made the car feel sporty and I love the paddle shifters. I'm going to drive both again before making my final decision. The 2.5 makes sense with the gas prices but the 3.5 is so much more fun plus it comes with the HID headlights. Why these aren't available with the 2.5 doesn't make sense. Even my 2008 Rogue SL AWD had HIDs and paddle shifters.
I ordered the 2.5. Yes, the 3.5 would be real fun and run smoother and personally I like a 3.5. However, this will be my main commute car going through heavy stop and go traffic every day. Even if money is not a concern, the guilty feeling of burning holes in the ozone layer is enough to stop me.

You found the paddle shifter useful? On my 2009 Rogue, I only played with them the first week in the 3 years I kept the car. The CVT is so smart that it handles most road condition well. I didn't find the shifter useful.

mag318

The paddle shifters are fun when driving on curvy, hilly roads. When testing a 3.5 Altima I had a great time with the paddle shifters, it's almost like driving a stick shift.

Meinnocenthah
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Nismo edition

there is no "tip tronic" on the 2.5 2013 model anymore. which is why im getting a 3.5 I use my tiptronic everyday in my 2.5 SL (2010)

Keyan
Car: 2013 Altima 4D 3.5 SL

I went with a 2013 non-tech 3.5 SL. I had tech in my 2010, but I barely used it. About the only thing I miss is the long text support for music. The map updates are unreasonably expensive vs. using a smart phone where the maps are updated frequently for free real time, and XM's traffic coverage is beyond terrible. The various warnings depend on the rear camera being clear, around here it is common in the winter for snow and salt to obstruct the rear camera, making those features useless. While the package isn't *that* expensive, I also heard from a dealer that the reason they are so rare even now is that Nissan had a hold on all of the tech packages to fix a major software flaw...makes you wonder what other bugs may come up as the cars get more and more real world use.

Also, yes, the total lack of a manual shift gate and no HIDs in the 2.5s made it a no-go for me. That and the 3.5 is just a lot more fun machine with that new CVT, Ds, and paddle shifters.

mag318

Keyan, You make some valid points as to the tech package. Driving both engines the 3.5 is definately smoother and more responsive and I too love the paddle shifters. My 2008 Rogue has them along with the HIDs which I appreciate on dark country roads. Let us know what kind of mileage you get with your 3.5 once it's broken in. I'm sure though it will be at least as high as my 2.5 in my current Rogue.

Keyan
Car: 2013 Altima 4D 3.5 SL

Yeah, it's the breaking in part that is annoying, if I try REALLY Hard I might put 25 mi on the car in a day...right now sitting at about 285, have a long way to go. My commute is also horrible, tons of stop and go between lights and 4 way stops and it's only 6 miles each way. In my 2010 I would probably average only 17, so far I am getting 19.5 on the new one, so while it's still not great, it is better than the 2010 even at this point. I can tell with how low the engine is revving that if I had it on the highway it would really be outstanding for a 270hp V6.

mag318

As you probably saw with the above thread I started I finally bought one hours after it came off the truck at my dealers. For anyone you really enjoys driving I agree that the amazing 3.5 engine is the way to go. The CVT with the paddle shifters are perfectly complimented to each other. I went with the tech package and I'm glad I did. Delivery was slowed by a software problem but now they're rolling off the assembly line in numbers. I had a Garmin for my 2008 Rogue which worked well, but the Nissan navigation is even better so I think it's worth the money. I too look forward to breaking it in, I had this engine in an 2003 Murano, luckily they retuned it for regular gas. Enjoy you new Altima and keep us posted as to how everything is going as you get some miles on it.

altmycar
Car: 2013 Altima 3.5 SL with Tech

I really wanted lane change warning (even as careful as I am); blind spot is good as well....the NAV maps are pretty bad, Google maps on your smart phone is much better.

I didn't compare to the other brands' tech packages, but that would be the smart thing to do.
I hear Mazda now has radar collision avoidance.

As far as 2.5 vs 3.5 I get GREAT mileage with the 3.5 SL - highway ONLY ! 32-34 and 34-36 mpg on long trips (resetting the average for the highway segment).

Mixed driving looks like I'm getting about 21-22 mpg.

2013 3.5 SL with Tech

altmycar
Car: 2013 Altima 3.5 SL with Tech

Oh yeah.
I forgot to say how I was comfortable for my long trips in the SL !
No back complaints whatsoever. Different from the Azera I traded in. !

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

Base your decision on what the monthly payment would be for the tech package.

Return to “5th Generation Altima Sedan (2013-2018)”