2013 Sentra Driver Window Auto Feature Not Working

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
AZSentra
Car: 2017 Nissan Sentra

Just bought this 2013 manual 6 speed since my 2017 was a CVT and I hear nothing but bad things.

Driver window will only roll down all the way if switch is pressed and held. When it comes to rolling up, it will only go up 1"-2" and stop. I can immediately pull up on the switch and it will go another 1"-2" and I repeat this 6-7 times until it's fully rolled up.

Any ideas?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Run the window all the way to the bottom, then all the way to the top and continue to hold the switch for 3~5 seconds. That should re-time the Auto function. If it won't take because of the interruptions, pop the Master Switch loose and disconnect it for a few seconds, then try again. If it still won't take then the problem is most likely a bad motor or a binding mechanism causing the motor to draw too much current, but could also be a bad Master Switch or a cooked ground terminal at the Master. If the ground checks good, to find out if it's the Master or something south, pop the door panel and disconnect the motor, then put a bulb-type test lamp across the motor terminals and work the switch. If the light stays lit then the problem is motor current, if it cuts out then the Master is bad.

AZSentra

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 9:55 pm
Run the window all the way to the bottom, then all the way to the top and continue to hold the switch for 3~5 seconds. That should re-time the Auto function. If it won't take because of the interruptions, pop the Master Switch loose and disconnect it for a few seconds, then try again. If it still won't take then the problem is most likely a bad motor or a binding mechanism causing the motor to draw too much current, but could also be a bad Master Switch or a cooked ground terminal at the Master. If the ground checks good, to find out if it's the Master or something south, pop the door panel and disconnect the motor, then put a bulb-type test lamp across the motor terminals and work the switch. If the light stays lit then the problem is motor current, if it cuts out then the Master is bad.
Thanks for the ideas!

I'll try the unplugging the master to reset first. There's no way to roll the window up more than the 1" or so without it stopping and I can immediately close another 1" so a breaker is unlikely unless it resets in less than 1 second. As for the motor drawing too much current and kicking the breaker anyway, I've tried pulling up on the glass while closing and it still only goes 1" or so. If it was due to load, that should've overcome it.

I like your idea on testing the master switch as well. I'll give that a go if the reset doesn't do it.

AZSentra

Finally had time to mess with this today. Had to do A/C work too, so I didn't spend too much time on it, but I unplugged the master for 30s or so, plugged back in, ran the window all the way down, and same problem trying to go back up.

I popped the switch apart and found that there was a lot of corrosion between contacts for the windows on the pcb. Looks like when the wet sanding was done by the body shop, they allowed water to sit inside the switch until it dried on its own. I scrubbed it all off with a wire brush and still the same issue.

I jumped onto other issues, so I'll have to pull the panel off maybe tomorrow and try your test light idea.

AZSentra

Today I removed the panel, rolled the window all the way down, and unplugged the window motor. Put the test light on the ORG wire on the motor connector as it was the only one with power when I pulled the driver window switch UP. Light was on for 1s and then back off. BTW, I could hear the relay in the master switch shutting off in 1s as well. Figured it was probably the culprit over the motor especially once I saw the corrosion. I'd add photos, but I don't want to go through setting up an account elsewhere to attach.

Ordered a new master on ebay. I'll update next week once it's installed. Thanks for the help.

AZSentra

Problem solved! It was the master switch.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”