2013 Rogue 100K Cold drive Question

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
arizonanissan
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue

Hello all Just a quick question when my Rogue is started after sitting all night in the garage--Its Quiet as soon as i back out of the driveway then drive off at low speed i can here like marbles knocking around until the engine warms after a few mins.. If i let the veh warm up for 4 min in the driveway before driving off its quiet--Just wondering what that is and is it normal! Oil and filter changed every 3K other then the cold drive off sound -- engine is quiet!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Might be piston-slap if it goes away that quickly and stays away, but there are some other things that can make weird noises cold like alternator clutches. I'd get a stethoscope and see if you can locate it. If you hear it loudest from the side of the block then it's probably slap, go to a bit thicker oil and it should help. It could also be an issue in the oiling system causing the top end to starve when cold, if that's the case you'll hear it loudest in the head and/or valve cover. That could be something like a bad oil pump check valve and not necessarily low oil pressure in general.

arizonanissan

Thank you! It only happens when i drive off under load!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

arizonanissan wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:46 am
Thank you! It only happens when i drive off under load!
Ah, I misunderstood, thought you meant it was doing it during warmup in the driveway. It isn't slap, then. It could still be top end starvation. What weight oil do you use? If it's too heavy you could be starving the top until the oil thins out.

arizonanissan

5 W 30 synthetic! When i start the veh in the AM its dead quiet if i immediately drive off i can hear the marble noise until i let off the gas--When the engine is warm i hear nothing and if i let the veh idle for 3 to 5 mins on a cold start-then take off i hear nothing!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Gonna be hard to locate if it only does it with the car underway. One thing to check is the heat shields on the south side of the flex pipe, they often break just one of the several spot-welds and will only make noise under certain specific circumstances. Easy to fix with a radiator band clamp if that's the problem. If you need to stethoscope it, you can do that easily with a bluetooth remote mic paired to your smartphone. Tape the mic down on suspect places and get it to misbehave.

arizonanissan

Ok Cool thanks!

phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

arizonanissan wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:58 am
Hello all Just a quick question when my Rogue is started after sitting all night in the garage--Its Quiet as soon as i back out of the driveway then drive off at low speed i can here like marbles knocking around until the engine warms after a few mins.. If i let the veh warm up for 4 min in the driveway before driving off its quiet--Just wondering what that is and is it normal! Oil and filter changed every 3K other then the cold drive off sound -- engine is quiet!
You didn't say what the vehicle mileage is. The Nissan QR25DE engine is prone to piston slap. If it's an engine internal knock but it disappears after a few minutes that's probably what it is. I have a 2013 with 140k on it's done it since I bought it in 2014. Never does it in the summer and lasts a little longer in the winter. Just don't floor it right after a cold start.

You can do a search here for "piston slap" or engine knock" and find a few threads with some useful info...

arizonanissan

arizonanissan

You have the same issue as me then!! Ok so i will let it warm up a few mins in the
winter!

arizonanissan

THANK YOU!!!

Return to “Rogue Forum”