2013 Quest Power Steering Creaking

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
commanderclif
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue / 2013 Nissan Quest

Most prevalent when the car is first started and backing out of driveway, when I turn the steering wheel I get some noise from the steering system. While driving at normal speeds if turn the wheel side to side I don't get the same noise but coming back home from driving I hear a bit as I slow down and turn back in to the driveway. Maybe this is normal behavior but don't recall the creaking noise as pronounced when the car was newer.

I've checked the steering fluid and its between the min/max lines. Its never been flushed or replaced but wondering if something in the system could be on its way out.

far raf
Car: 2005 Nissan Quest SE (standard? simple? edition - i.e. nothing special)

Is the sound persistent as long as your engine is running and your steering wheel is turned to the side, or does it only occur when you are turning the steering wheel?
Tie rod ends, ball joints, strut mounts - all these parts might cause the creaking during the turning of the steering wheel.
The PS pump, its belt , and tensioner might cause the sound when the steering wheel has been turned.

commanderclif
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue / 2013 Nissan Quest

Great question! Drove it this weekend and its while the steering wheel is being turned. Move and hold the wheel in position, you only hear (and slightly feel through your hands) the creaking sound. Most prevalent of course pulling in and out of driveway and parking spaces since it might be more than one rotation of the steering wheel.

far raf
Car: 2005 Nissan Quest SE (standard? simple? edition - i.e. nothing special)

Do you see your ball joints or tie rod ends leaking? Any play in them? How many miles on them?
One of my OEM tie rods was a tossup at 100k miles. My ball joints were gone at 80k miles.

Return to “Quest Forum”