2013 nissan versa key

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
solidrock87

Hi I am new .......

I have a 2013 nissan versa the cheapest model non electric everything is manual I just lost the only key I had that suposibly had a "chip" that turns on the car just for the heck of it I tried to turn it on with my spare key I made at walmart and it turned on!!!

My question is does my car even have a special key with a "chip" or does any key work?

(I have my car parked outside just a lil worried I might out on the streeet and it wont turn on with my regular key)

Thanks guys

Gistecknician
Car: 2012 Versa S Sedan, 5MT

I have a Base model like yours (2012 though) and they do not have chipped keys. I made a copy today at Lowes for $2.09, which I used to start and drive my car home. :woot:

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Gistecknician wrote:I have a Base model like yours (2012 though) and they do not have chipped keys. I made a copy today at Lowes for $2.09, which I used to start and drive my car home. :woot:
If your keys came with a little metal tag attached, then you have the chip. You took an original key with you to make the copy. That key was still with you when you started the car with the replacement key, so the car worked because it was getting a signal from the old key. Try driving the car without the old key anywhere near it.

Gistecknician
Car: 2012 Versa S Sedan, 5MT

Rogue One wrote:
Gistecknician wrote:I have a Base model like yours (2012 though) and they do not have chipped keys. I made a copy today at Lowes for $2.09, which I used to start and drive my car home. :woot:
If your keys came with a little metal tag attached, then you have the chip. You took an original key with you to make the copy. That key was still with you when you started the car with the replacement key, so the car worked because it was getting a signal from the old key. Try driving the car without the old key anywhere near it.
:bs:

Rogue One:

I have been driving to work all week with only the newly made $2.09 copy from Lowes without incident. The base-base model does not have a chipped key, it doesn't even have a rubber head (all metal key).

Ptolalibertad
Car: 2016 versa sv

after researching here and online , i wasnt sure if i had a chip or not. made a spare key and it works so no chip. i guess only the round key fob thing with push to start has a chip. 2016 versa sv

Alan_nc
Car: 2016 Versa Note SV

2016 Versa Note SV with remote keyless entry:

Just got back from Wal Mart. Bought a standard metal key. It opened the door and started the car with no problem at all. The "chip in the key" thing must be a big myth.

Ptolalibertad
Car: 2016 versa sv

yea even reading the owners manual isnt clear on if i had a chip or not

Return to “Versa General Chat”