2013 Nissan Sentra Odometer Display is flickering/shutting off.

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
[email protected]
Car: 2013 Nissan Sentra SE

Hi! I just bought a 2013 Nissan Sentra. It has about 38,000 miles on it. The problem is when I crank my car the odometer display is not coming on. It either does or doesn't. Sometimes when I'm driving down the road I just look down and it is off. Sometimes its the opposite, I look down and when I think it's off it has come back on. What would be the cause of that be? I have noticed when it comes back on from being off the mileage has not been counting with the car. It is the same as the last time it was on. Any tips?
Last edited by Rogue One on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct forum

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Speedometer Sensor
Common signs include the speedometer not working, cruise control not engaging, Check Engine Light coming on, and loss of power.

Where is the speedometer sensor located?
The speedometer sensor is located in the transmission of your vehicle and is designed to register the driveshaft’s rotational speed. The sensor delivers this information through the speedometer cable and to the vehicle’s computer, which converts electrical pulses into a numerical speed. Eventually that number is displayed on the speedometer and tells you precisely how fast you are driving. If the speedometer sensor is not working properly, the speedometer will be inaccurate; potentially leading to speeding tickets or unsafe driving situations.

Speedometer does not work
Whether you have a digital or manual speedometer, if it's not displaying accurate information, it doesn't really help you. One of the biggest signs your speedometer sensor is not working properly is the speedometer will display inaccurate readings or the needle or digital numbers will not move at all on the speedometer display. A malfunctioning speedometer sensor can also cause a speedometer to act erratically, fluctuating the reading from one speed to another; even though in reality you're not speeding up or slowing down.

If you feel you are driving faster or slower than what the speedometer reads, it is a good idea to have your vehicle inspected by Your Mechanic, as this might be a problem with the sensor that can be repaired or an indication that the speedometer sensor needs replacement. Being proactive about repairing your speedometer issue can improve safety, not only for you, but others on the road. It can also reduce the potential of getting two citations; one for speeding and another for a damaged speedometer.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”