2013 M56 Base P0500 P0720

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
misfit77
Car: 2013 Infiniti M56

Well s*** it happened to me. Transmission problems.

I only have 88k miles on my baby.

After lots of reading, it less likely just a sensor,but the Transmission Control Panel. Otherwise I would be under my car now replacing the sensor.

Apparently this is an issue in other models Q's G's etc. Could not find much on the Ms.
Plenty of complaints on the Q's even a TSB.
One youtuber said that he complained to Infiniti USA and they gave him a 1 time free fix.

I am sure I could do the valve body replacement, but 2 things are in the way. 1. reprogramming the TCM 2. I will never trust my work.

Has anyone else heard anything of the TCM going out on the M's? TSBs, recalls etc
Do you trust a transmission shop over a dealer?

This sucks because my 07 G35 Journey made me love Infiniti. Now I will never trust them

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I'm sure VStar provide better feedback, but yes, I have heard of a few M owners doing valve body replacements on the FB group. It's not common but it's not rare.

I also wouldn't have a trust issue after this - like anything mass produced, some of the product is bound to have an issue or two. Totally normal. As long as the repair is good, I think you'll be set.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

VB's aren't hard to change, there are just a lot of screws and a trick connector. You can find step-by-step instructions here on TM-184:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 3%2FTM.pdf

There are 5 different screw lengths on an M, so follow the diagram and use a torque wrench (70 lb/ins on all of them). I don't see a ROM ID for the replacement VB's and the FSM doesn't specify programming, so it shouldn't need any. The only thing the FSM does specify after replacement is a G-sensor calibration, which will take an honest dealer about 10 minutes and shouldn't cost you a lot.

misfit77

Thanks for input.

So far, can't connect with the dealer.
AAMCO wont give a ballpark figure without driving the car over.
One close shop said "Nope"
a older Mom and Pop, quote me $7000. I think I would be buying some new tools and consult3 for this price.
G37 Bullet proof transmissions are cheaper than $5k at Level 10.

Thinking about doing it myself. looks straight forward. I think the timing belt on my Gti was harder.

The G sensor calibration...is the car driveable?
My dealer isnt honest. they were ripping my front end for a new AC compressor (carvana warranty). I asked since they were there, how much to replace an air box piece.
quote $345. Part plust hour of labor. Part cost me $95 from a online dealer and less then 15 minutes of my time.
I don't doubt they would refuse doing it. The nissan dealer is closer, but they wouldnt do my AC compressor. They were weird about doing infiniti work.
Seems Autoenginuity does Transmission G sensors. That kit is about $500, but I might be biting off more that I can chew.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

From what I hear the AutoEnginuity is a great tool, closest thing to having a Consult3+ without actually having one. If your dealer is a rip, they're going to charge you $150+tax just to look at it, so it might be worth the investment. The car will be drivable without the calibration, but you may get some weird behaviors on downhills and braking, and possibly an ABS/VDC light.

misfit77

Sorry to disappoint all the have helped.

Dealer quoted me a good price. Not much more that I would be paying in
parts (Valve Body, filter, gasket fluid). Plus it saves me time doing it in
Tucson heat (100°+). The price is so good I am going to call back today and
double check that this include the Valve body.

I have a new question.

You think a Uprev Tune can cause latent damage to the TCM?

The reason I ask that downshifting in the tuned mode cause some rough down shifting issues....even worse if I manually downshift.
The tuner said that he did not mess with it. I tried going back but basically got ignored.
My trust in this tuner isnt that great.
Been in contact with Uprev to get a retune, but now this.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I've been UpRev'ed for many years and have had no issues (nearly 8yrs).

misfit77

New issue.

Dealer says valve body is obsolete. Clicking around, he isn't joking.
Waiting to hear back from InfinitiPartsdeal.com
Dealer is trying to track down a used valve body.
Till then my car is sitting at the dealer collecting dust.

My question is:
Aren't most 7 speed valve bodies from this time the same?

Ebay sellers list various models for their valve bodies. I am guessing that the part 31705-X625E is M56 specific, but is the same as others except they are "programmed" for the M56. Maybe a i different terminal joint or harness.

thanks again

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If that's the correct p/n then it supersedes a whole bunch of other numbers. These are the superseded models, any of them should work for you:
31705-X354B
31705-X430B
31705-X451B
31705-X986B
31705-X384B
31705-X980B

misfit77

Still having issues.
Dealer wont swap until they can confirm they interchangeable.

A suggestion was made to buy a remanufactured and have it bullet proofed.
Called Level 10. The person very adamant that this will not work, nor sending my old one in.

Remanufacture - they VIN locked and has to be new to be programmed to my VIN.
Old one - once I get the P0720 the TCM is fried. No can fix.

I am seriously f*** here.

sidenote - they said dealer now replaces battery every 2 years or so because low voltage is linked to frying our TCM

misfit77

UPDATE:

Five Star Transmission sold me a remanufactured Valve Body. Car is up and running.
Downshifts are more firm now. Gears upshift a bit firmer but nothing like the G35.
So far so good, still not comfortable driving this out of town. Putting a cooler in, but I will never trust this car like I did 3 weeks ago.

Side Info:
Nicole at 5 Star mentioned that they sell just the TCM with universal programming for about $277.

what the hell is with all these advertisements????????
I can barely navigate this website on a PC, phone is worse.

misfit77

Well s***!

Not going so well. Decided to try opening her up. From a stand still, 1 gear slams into second and wont go into 3rd.
Just red-lines and throws misfire codes. If I am at a cruising speed and go half throttle or so, its fine and plenty of passing power. If I go full throttle the tranny kicks down and never shifts into 4th.
It will shift up if I tap the paddle shifters. This is unsafe, usually when you stomp on it, you don't have time to remember to hit those paddles.

Been calling 5 Star over and over. No answer or call back. No responses to email either. I even tried several different phones just in case they blocked me.
I am hoping they are on vacation or something. They seemed like a legit company that has been around for many years.

This sucks, I really don't want to drain all that fresh fluid and redo what the dealer already did. Also I can't rip it out and send it back and wait all that shipping time.

misfit77

So its been 3 weeks. I tried emailing them and calling both of their numbers an exhausting amount of times. Not a peep. Phones just go to voicemail, which is full. There is an option to send an SMS notice, that does nothing. I have searched for evidence of a natural disaster in their area or that they closed shop.

Oddly they never cashed my check. I would like to do business with them in getting my car fixed, but I don't see it happening. I was able to recall my check.
I just can't seem to find something that looks legit on the internet. Might try swapping the rebuilt TCM to my old valvebody.

Can low fluid or too much fluid cause such shifting issue? I can't imagine the dealership did a bad fill.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

misfit77 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:41 pm
Can low fluid or too much fluid cause such shifting issue? I can't imagine the dealership did a bad fill.
Regular A/T's aren't usually fussy about that like a CVT is, but it's certainly worth checking. Too low can definitely cause issues, too high usually won't unless it's very high.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”