2013 M37 vs. R-Spec, and what to know before I buy

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
SadClown
Car: 2016 Acura ILX

I'm close to buying either a 2013 M37 or 2012 Genesis R-Spec. Both are the same mileage and price, and both in excellent condition. There's a lot I like about both of them.

Does anybody have experience with both cars, or cross-shop both before buying? Which one is "better?"

If I do go with the M37, are there common problems I should look out for before buying?

Thanks for any info you can give.

walt1227
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56S

I've driven both well not the R-Spec but the 4.6 Genesis. The M37 is going to be the better car of the two and for good reason it is a "Nissan" as they say. I know that may not be a good way of putting it but for example if you look on cars.com you will see a lot of M37s and M56s with over 100,000 mile and still going strong. I saw a M56 on cars.com the other day with 190,000 miles and still going so that tells me that if you really take care of these M's they can last you at least 200,000 miles. When I went to test drive the 2015 M37s I asked the salesman about the reliability of these cars and he said they can go easily 300,000 miles without any problems why....... because it is a Nissan.

Now for the Genesis it is hard to say how they will hold up because all the ones that I have seen listed on cars.com as I just looked, are under 100,000 miles and many more so in the 50,000 mile or less range which makes me question if there is some type of issue as to why there are so many of them for sale. They are some nice looking cars and I thought about buying a 2013 blk on blk R-Spec before I bought my M56s in same color combo. I would get on the Genesis forum and ask questions and read up on them like all of us have done before making that purchase decision.

I am sure that they may be around the same cost for simple routine repairs and upkeep cost. I think the oil change on the M is like $50 and an align which I just had done on mine was $99 plus tax. Now the cost issue comes into play when you have to replace other things dealing with electrical issues, engine, transmission, etc. The good thing with purchasing an Infiniti M is that you can qualify for and extended warranty to cover engine, transmission, and electrical issues through the Infinti extended warranty plan. Some dealers have different requirements for getting this warranty i.e, car must be under 70-75k miles in order to qualify and it must pass an inspection done at the local Infiniti dealership nearest to you that cost $150 at my nearest dealer.

Not sure if Hyundai has anything like that if you purchase the Genesis so you may want to look into that as well. Both are good cars but I think they maybe different in several ways from driving and features among God knows what else. It will ultimately come down to which one you like best after driving them and what one holds the most value which will more than likely be the M. Once the R-Spec hits 60k miles or more from what I see they drop in value a lot which makes me question if it will be reliable down the road. Most M's are still valued over 20k at 60K miles and some even more depending on car location. I hope some of the other members chime in and give some more advice but please make sure you get on the Hyundai forum and read, read, read, and ask question before making that purchase. Best of luck to you!

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Have not driven a Hyundai - but this is a sort of an unfair comparison
2013 M37 V6, 3.7 L: 330 HP, 270 TQ
2012 R-spec V8, 5.0L : 429 HP, 376 TQ

More even comparison would be to an M56, but that would definitely cost more

the Nissan VQ37 is probably bulletproof as walt1227 has alluded to, not too sure about Hyundai's V8 reliability (this might be an issue if you tend to keep your cars for a long time, like me) Hyundai forums should help illuminate any common problems/issues with their engine.

Furthermore, think about how easy it is to get warranty work done - what is the average turnaround time for transmission work, electrical probs, suspension stuff, etc. Obviously not every Infiniti dealer is going to be great, but it seems like the majority of them are pretty good. I think mine is great. Plus, if you get an Infiniti Elite extended warranty for a couple of extra years, it'll pay for itself with one major problem. Not sure if Hyundai offers a factory extended warranty like that.

Overall resale value will probably be better with the Infiniti, but you are getting much more power with the Hyundai for the same price and a whole lot of luxury amenities that would cost you thousands more in a Benz, Audi, or BMW

I'm partial to Infiniti's exterior styling (this is my 2nd Infiniti) and I really like how it handles, the Hyundai is not ugly, just sort of ho-hum, seems like they borrowed styling cues from other manufacturers as opposed to coming up with their own signature look. If you are looking for more than just sheer power, you've got to drive 'em both.

good luck, maybe you'll make the right choice and go with the M :biggrin:

JaeM37

I was looking at a blk on blk 4.6 Genesis as well and ended up getting a black M37. A close friend of mine ended up getting a Genesis and has about 80-90K miles on it and going strong. I think the Genesis weighs about 200 lbs more but the Genesis definitely drives like a much bigger car than the M. The M37 feels more sporty and the Genesis is definitely more comfortable. The interior is roomier and the trunk is much larger. We always take his car when there are four of us to go play some golf or on a road trip but I definitely think my car is way more fun. The car seems reliable and the only problems my friend has had is a smashed front bumper which he caused himself. If I had to pick on a few issues about the genesis, the suspension feels a bit busy. I don't know how to best describe this, but when you go over uneven patches, the suspension doesn't soak up much for a luxury car. The other thing is a design flaw of the exhaust tips. If you get a light color car (my friend has white) the bumper gets stained black from the exhaust. You can clean it off frequently but I don't see this issue on lexus that have the same design. If you want room and comfort go for genesis.

SadClown
Car: 2016 Acura ILX

Thanks for all the replies. I've posted on and read through the Genesis forums and the consensus seems to be "buy a warranty," mostly for electrical issues. I like the way the M37 handles better and the interior design, but prefer the overall package of the R-Spec. The silent power is quite a sensation ("cutting the silk," as the seller called it).

But for a lot of the reasons stated above, I have a lot of concerns about the reliability and resale of the R-Spec (though I did see one pop up on CarMax with 120,000 miles for $16,000). I'd be buying the R-Spec from a private seller and haven't been able to figure out if Hyundai's protection plan is available.

beachbum718
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37 S

Infiniti's resale value is better then any Hyundai.regardless of specs or power.you still are driving a Hyundai.that being said my friend has a 2013 genesis coupe 2.0.i know its not what u posted.but his car burns oil with 32k on the clock.he wishes he listened to me and got a 370z.cuz he wanted a fast 2 door.he broke a strut.ac compressor needed to be replaced.turbo leaks oil.lucky he bought it from a Hyundai dealer.warranty covered it.id trade it in .hyundai is a hyundai for a reason.my 2 cents if change.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”