2013 EX37 Airbag Light

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
2013InfinitiEX37
Car: 2013 Infiniti EX37

Alright, so to start off; back in July my car developed a leak in the passenger side(right hand side) coming from the sunroof drain line. Water got on stuff but it didn't make a puddle or anything. I checked to see if anything important got wet, and to my knowledge nothing important got wet. I had to take out the passenger seat to fit in there(keep that in mind), I finished the project and put everything back together, everything was going smooth until I started the car and my Airbag Light came on. I was like okay, I'll just call the dealer and schedule an appointment. The guy I talked to said that the Passenger Seat Occupancy Sensor had to be recalibrated and then the light will go away. I go to the dealership and he tried the procedure and it didn't work, he tried to find a code but the computer didn't throw any, he then recommended I replace the Airbag Control module as mine might have a hard code from starting the car without the passenger seat in. I've yet to do that repair because I wanted to send the module off to a 3rd party company to get it reset. I received the module back, they said everything is in working order and it's not broken. Okay great! So I install the module and put everything back together hoping my issue would be fixed. Nope, didn't work. I took it back to the dealer and now the car is throwing every Airbag code in the book. At this point the dealership guy and I assume there is a short, or something got damaged by the water. Any help would be appreciated, I have a copy of all the codes thrown if anyone would like to see them.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Sounds like your original problem may have been the sensor mat and controller inside the passenger seat cushion, and now the resetters may have erased the brain's config data when they checked it out. Post the codes and I'll see what I can make of them.

2013InfinitiEX37

Sure, here are all the codes. The dealer also said it could've been the seat occupancy sensor that went out, and they quoted me 10k for the repair. So I got a seat occupancy emulator, and that didn't fix it either. The ECU codes are only there because my battery had been disconnected for a week and it had to re-learn everything.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210916-215047_Samsung Notes.jpg
Screenshot_20210916-215041_Samsung Notes.jpg
Screenshot_20210916-215034_Samsung Notes.jpg
Screenshot_20210916-215026_Samsung Notes.jpg
Screenshot_20210916-215017_Samsung Notes.jpg

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

All of those ACU codes are showing up as "past" (inactive) and "archived" (historic), which means they should all be erasable. They'll still show up as archival even when they're erased, the Bag Brain is the only device in the car that stores code history forever. It looks to me like the Brain was offline for some reason, maybe a glitchy connection after your flood, and now that it has proper power and CAN again, you're reading all the historic crap it accumulated while it was down. If the lamp is lit, try an erasure, because none of them are showing "current" status.

You're correct about the P0603, that code usually happens from a low battery and should erase even if it's active.

2013InfinitiEX37

I've tried that before, but all that did was make matters even more confusing, after I did that the weird blinking pattern on the dash change to a weird pattern(different than before) that blinks every 12s instead of 7s. Bare with me here, so to back-track; when I originally sent it the module to get it reset, it did the same thing and threw all those codes, so I cleared them like I previously said and that did absolutely nothing. I contacted the company that reset the module and they said that the best thing they can do is do another reset on the module under the warrenty. So I ended up sending it back to them to get it reset a 2nd time, and now that I've got it back, the same issues still persist. In the timeframe that I sent the module back a 2nd time, I got the dealership to tighten all the pins under the passenger seat incase there was a loose one throwing the code(really lack of code, because the computer will not throw the code for the actual issue). At this point I'm thinking the whole module has to get replaced, even though mine is allegedly checked out and is functional.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The thing might be stuck in diagnostic mode, that will keep it blinking forever even though there are no codes in it. You can't clear that with a scanner, you have to do the key-on-key-off stopwatch thing. Here's the bulletin, try it:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/ ... 4-9999.pdf

2013InfinitiEX37

I've tried that before and nothing changed. Now I never saw that specific one right there and that seems a little more detailed than the one that I've done in the past. Another weird thing, whenever I start the car the passenger airbag light goes from glowing ember(meaning off) to completely dark, I don't have the emulator plugged in or someone sitting in the seat. Now I don't know if that's part of that weird maintenance mode it could be in though.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It still may need to be zeroed-out (ZPR) now that it's talking again.

2013InfinitiEX37

What does that mean? I'm sorry for asking, I'm new to learning about all this airbag stuff.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The sensor in the passenger side cushion basically "weighs" the seat contents to determine whether the seat is occupied and whether the occupant is an adult, juvenile, or infant in a car seat. That way the Brain knows how to best deploy the airbags. To do that it needs to know the "empty" weight of the seat. ZPR stands for Zero Point Reset and basically calibrates that empty weight.

2013InfinitiEX37

That's what the guy at the dealership thought it was also. I took it to him and he attempted to try the reset on it, but it didn't work. He was talking with one of the Infiniti Technicians and he said that these cars don't have that type of reset procedure. Now I'm not sure if they're trying to scam me, and trying to get me to buy a new module or something.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I dunno, let me look it up. Some of the mat types didn't use ZPR, so they may be right. It's also possible the PABI (passenger bag light) going out is normal, until '14 most of the Nissan systems turned the lamp off if there was no occupant even though the bag was turned off. There was a recall that changed that on all the '13~'14 Altimas and '14 Rogues. I'll let you know what the ESM says about yours.

2013InfinitiEX37

Alrighty, sounds good. Is there a form of communication you'd prefer, rather then this? I don't know if it'll help, but I can take some videos of what happens with the occupancy sensor light and the SRS light on the dash.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yep, ESM confirms there's no ZPR on your ride and the PABI goes out when there's no occupant, so that's normal behavior. If you want to test it, put a couple bags of groceries on the seat with the seat belt buckled, you should get a lit lamp because it thinks there's a child seat.

The blinky airbag lamp should tell you if it's in "past" diag mode by the blink rate and behavior. There's a blinky chart starting on pp 16 of the ESM:

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... %2Fsrc.pdf

2013InfinitiEX37

Alrighty, good news; the occupancy sensor works. Now the issue is the Airbag Light, if you want to send me a text at this number: (803) 814-4979 so I can send you some videos of the light before I clear the codes again and after I clear the codes. Because the blinking pattern will change to a weird pattern.

2013InfinitiEX37

Alright, I'm going to make this a, TL;DR: Basically make sure all your pins are properly connected under the seat, make sure there are no hard codes, and perform the airbag reset stated in an above reply and make sure you have your passenger seatbelt plugged in.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”