2013 Altima airbag steering radio controls removal how to

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
dville
Car: 2013 2.5 base

I need some help from a Nissan tech in removing the airbag radio cruise control switches from the steering wheel or a 2013 base Altima.
There are two holes on either side of the steering wheel, but only large enough for a screwdriver shaft, don't know how to release the airbag to get the switches off.

Can anyone with access to factory service manuals help?

bundy26
Car: 2011 Buick Regal turbo

It's probably like the corvette c6 , you should be able to use a long thin flat screw driver and push one tab on each side so the whole thing will pop out.

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

Welcome to the club!
I also have a 2013 sedan...
Fooling with the wheel and airbag is risky business, what are you trying to accomplish??

sstroudwku
Car: 2013 F150 EcoBoost 4x4 - BlueJean Blue
2014 Pathfinder

Yeah before I give you info to how it's removed I need to know the reasoning. Removing it is dangerous if done improperly.

dville

sstroudwku wrote:Yeah before I give you info to how it's removed I need to know the reasoning. Removing it is dangerous if done improperly.
I want to buy the cruise control switches ($180 from local dealer) and replace the blank panel above the phone controls on my 2.5 base model.
The switches are apparently secured to the airbag from behind.

My plan is to disconnect battery and wait 5 minutes, move airbag out enough to install switches, replace airbag, reconnect battery.

The radio controls and cruise controls are wired to the same connector before the clockspring, so apparently I have to remove both sets of switches.

I have the 2010 FSM and the details of 2010 Altima, assuming slight differences for 2013, and the first one is how the airbag is secured (with 2 bolts in 2012, and with this metal spring clip in 2013)

Thanks for the offer of help, anxiously waiting.....

sstroudwku
2014 Pathfinder

Two long flat heads inserted simultaneously will unlock the springs and allow removal. It's a bit tricky I believe you'll need to have the cruise turned on in the BCM as well. Similar to installing the RES system. Good luck.

dville

sstroudwku wrote:Two long flat heads inserted simultaneously will unlock the springs and allow removal. It's a bit tricky I believe you'll need to have the cruise turned on in the BCM as well. Similar to installing the RES system. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip on the BCM too sstroudwku.

I'm trying the two at the same time , but don't know the technique to use since i don't know what things look like back there.

Should I twist, pry, push, pull?
Will the airbag just pop ;) out ?
Do I need a third hand to pull the airbag while I am pushing the screwdrivers in?
You have a cell phone pic of something that can assist?
Much appreciated!!!

sstroudwku
2014 Pathfinder

When I get to work tomorrow I will get you the ESM info on it's exact removal, and I will double check on how to activate it.

dville

Ok so what I plan to do is buy the brake pedal cancel switch that is missing, add the steering wheel switches, and see if the cruise will just work.
Consult 4 is only way to modify BCM?

sstroudwku
2014 Pathfinder

Yeah CIII+ is the only way to access a 13 Altima, I will look through the wiring and BCM info. I believe all the BCM's are the same, as the Remote Start system is only 2 keys and a hood latch.

sstroudwku
2014 Pathfinder

2. Locate retaining spring access hole in steering wheel rear finisher
(1) and insert ( ) a 5.0mm (0.197 in) diameter suitable
tool.
3. Make sure tool contacts retaining spring (A) as shown. While
pushing suitable tool inward ( ), push in top of driver air bag
module at location (D) to release retaining spring (A) and pull to
separate from steering wheel. This action will release the retaining
spring from the steering wheel. Repeat action with retaining
spring (B) while pushing at location (C).
NOTE:
Back side of driver air bag module is shown for clarity.
4. Raise the driver air bag module away from the steering wheel
and disconnect the air bag harness connectors (A) and the horn
terminal connector (B). Then remove the wire harness from the
hook ( ).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dville

Nice, thanks....

Screwdriver goes through here.

Hooks unto here.

dville

Son of a B...
Look like I have more challenges.... (compared to the 2010)

1) The Cruise control switches are on a separate 3 pin connector
2) The switch panel is NOT attached to the airbag, but to the steering wheel
3) The rear steering wheel cover (finisher) looks like it cannot be removed without taking the wheel off (dang it!)

Can you confirm?

sstroudwku
2014 Pathfinder

I will look at a 13 tomorrow and confirm, BTW when did you buy your 13? There is an active campaign to reprogram the TCM to prevent the trans from failing.... A serious coding error.

Oh I have an email into my regional guy on the cruise control in the BCM. We think it's preprogrammed but now I'm waiting to hear from you if it worked or not. There may be a fuse you'll have to install. I had to reprogram 11 2013 pathfinders today and didnt have much time to go through the wiring info.

dville

I appreciate your help.
I have not bought the switches yet. ( they have to be special ordered of course, not sitting on any shelves yet)
I was actually going to simulate them before making the $180 commitment :)
I believe 0 to 4 volts for the various functions of the switches, and open or closed circuit for the brake switch circuit.

dville

Mine was built in September.
I bought it on Election Day Nov 6th.

sstroudwku
2014 Pathfinder

Your vehicle has the applicable TCM update, I was helping the engineers in mid august with one of the first to have this issue and the update came in September, but the TCM's going into the September cars were still older software.

I had a busy day and didnt have an extra minute to go through the manual, tomorrow is a better day.

sstroudwku
2014 Pathfinder

Yes you have to remove the steering wheel to install or remove the switch.

chrisinky
Car: 2013 Altima SV

sstroudwku - I'm in Dry Ridge, KY - with a 2013 Altima. Have had some issues, the latest is I bought an SV and the 6way seats are killing me. Found leather 8-ways at two wrecking yards - do you know if I can just direct swap them? Anything special due to the airbag harness etc?

Also - would the same be true for the heated side mirrors - I miss that from my previous subarus.

sstroudwku
2014 Pathfinder

Oh, good question. If you have the SV then it's likely all the harnesses are there. Honestly I would have to see the seats and the car together to see what we're working with. They will bolt directly in place, I am inclined to believe they will plug right in as well. This hasn't been discusses much yet. I would believe the Heated mirror harness is there, if you can pull the door panel off you should see it strapped do the inner panel or zip tied against the harness.

thealliance43

i need more information of this. I tried with a flathead for an hr and got nothing. Its me literary just poking around. Are you able to shed some more light on this. Maybe a video?

jruhlen1980
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima base

OP: Any update on how the project went? I'm interested in doing the same with my base altima at some point. Found a switch assembly on ebay for $90, or the complete steering wheel for around $200.

Questions:
1) Will messing with the steering wheel kill me?
2) Can you just plug the cruise control wiring into something and have working cruise?

FWIW, I have an aftermarket cruise installed right now (used a rebate check from Nissan to purchase and install) and it works fine, but the location is a bit awkward and I'm just curious if this would work.

Thanks. First time poster here.

tlstearman
Car: 2013 altima

I know this is an older thread but i wanted to check and see if sstroudwku could me a little. I have changed out the controls and i need to know what to tell the dealer to do to turn on the cruise control. The one i talked to looked at me like i was stupid. I know this can be done as all the wiring was there/is there for it and its computer controlled anyway. If i have to change the BCM out i will i would just need to know what code to get to make it work but i don't see why I would need to as i have to date only found one BCM for this car. O ya it's a 2013 Altima. I got it used for a sweat deal and know i see why it only had 5k miles on it (no Cruise control) I hope to hear from someone soon on this.

Thanks

Return to “Altima General Discussions”