2012 Versa/Latio SV Surging Acceleration and Limp Mode starts

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
CX-Adam
Car: 2012 Versa

Is this a CVT failure?

Car info:
2012 Versa SV with CVT
Just under 120k miles

Symptoms:
(I'll try to describe as best as possible. This is my wife's car and I've only driven it once to diagnoise. The problem just started getting bad.)
  • 1. The car has had a minor acceleration surge for a while which I chalked up to being a CVT thing.
    2. Recently, the car threw a P0101 code. Today, I replaced the airfilter and cleaned the MAF sensor. I also cleaned on both sides of the throttle plate and visually checked for sources of vacuum leaks. I cleared the code and test drove the car. The code did not return during the test drive but the following occurred:
    3. Drives fine for first few miles
    4. After a few minutes of driving and while accelerating to ~40mph I noticed the RPMs start to surge.
    5. The surge wasn't consistent. Sometimes it was +500rpms. Other times it was from 2500 to 4000.
    6. At a red light, the car went into limp mode (fail safe) and wouldn't accelerate. Varying throttle pedal position did not affect engine RPM. After 30 or so seconds, the RPMs spiked and the car accelerated.
Any thoughts on the cause? The PCV rattles freely. My understanding is this car doesn't have an EGR valve?

CX-Adam

I'm thinking a refurbished valve body will fix the problem. Seems like this is a common issue. But, I'm not seeing a lot of resolutions.

Found instructions for replacing the valve body: http://aamcoftp.com/sites/aamcotech/a** ... manual.pdf

Seems easy.

I wish the [utag]UsafRescue[/utag] had followed up from this thread rogue-cvt-issues-fail-safe-and-whining- ... 0-270.html

...Bueller?

CX-Adam

Dealer says it needs a new transmission because "it's contaminated". I believe him to an extent. I also understand that they can't service a car and risk it coming back shortly after so, I'm not sold on it needing a $4,700 replacement. Besides, my understand is that the CVTs tend to have more shavings than other transmissions even though I could be totally wrong.

Where do people buy refurbished OEM parts? All I'm seeing are EBay options. If this were my car, I'd have a ton of options.

CX-Adam

Replaced the valve body today.

I found a "refurbished" one on Ebay. I couldn't find anything anywhere else.

After I got the valve body in, I drove it around for a while. It didn't go into limp mode but, coming from a dead stop, engagement was harsh. There still seemed to be a bit of slipping, too. Tomorrow I'll check the fluid levels and test drive again.

I'm surprised at how common this issue is and at how little information there is on the fix. In addition, I'm surprised at how difficult it is to source OEM parts.

Has anyone had success warrantying anything newer that a 2010?

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Welcome to NICO Club. I'm sorry you've been on your own with the Versa. We have a bunch of members, but few posting and even fewer brave enough to climb into their CVT. We mostly just complain about them and have the units replaced, hoping the dealership will pay for part of it. Keep up the good work though. I'm following along and hoping you get it dialed in without buying a whole transmission.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”