2012 Sentra Shocks replacement

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
Rtraveler
Car: 2012 Sentra

The dealer said I need new front shocks on my '12 Sentra with 104k miles. I'm shopping on Rockauto but they have a few brands for daily driver. What brand do you recommend? FCS, Gabriel, KYB, Monroe?
FCS seems to be the cheapest at $73.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Info gleaned elsewhere online:
Gabriel and Monroe parts WILL be stiffer than factory simply because they design them so you can feel that you actually changed something. KYB’s, too. All aftermarket shocks and struts are built that way.

I have used KYB’s and they ride well and are a quality product. Many are built in the US. I currently have Tokico adjustable struts/shocks on my Mustang with well over 10,000 miles and I am impressed. I have also used Gabriels. They gave me no issues but they were not stiff enough. The Sachs rear replacement shocks on the wife’s car have 80,000 mile with no issues.

BTW, I was an engineer for a former GM division that made shocks and I’ve cut apart many brands of shocks and struts to see what is inside. Monroe is a bottom feeder especially their aftermarket replacement parts, Gabriel is a bit better, KYB, Showa and Boge/Sachs (now TRW) are better yet. All are OEM suppliers. Premium suppliers would be Koni or Bilstein.

Rtraveler

Thanks, I did additional research too. I ended up buying KYB. It took me about 3 hours to change the front shocks.

Rtraveler

Here's the new shock assembly next to the old one.
Attachments
shocks.jpg

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”