2012 Rogue with engine problem

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
captaincrusty51
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue

My wife's 2012 Rogue with about 89000 miles suddenly developed a problem where the engine "stutters" momentarily while driving. The rpms drop and then it catches and runs fine. This happens randomly. At a stop it may idle fine and then drop and stall. There are no check engine lights or codes. If it sits idling in the driveway it can run fine for 30-40 minutes and then stall suddenly or it could stall within a minute of startup. One mechanic had it idling for over an hour with no issues. The first mechanic thought it was the fuse box which he replaced with no change. A second thought it was the computer. He tried to swap it with a used working computer that he was unable to program so he put the old one back in and the problem persisted. He suggested a new computer for about $1600 but would not guarantee that would solve the problem It's now been at the Nissan dealers for a week and they think its the transmission which will be a $5000 replacement,
Anyone have a similar problem that was fixed or any ideas where to look? Thanks in advance.

Iheartjeeps
Car: 1995 Nissan 300ZX Z32
2015 Nissan Frontier Pro4x
2014 Nissan Rogue Paperweight

a while back i had a 95 jeep that would idle great and would drive great untill we would get it on the freeway and it would momentarily jerk or stutter and be back to normal...in the end it turned out to be the crank position sensor harness rubbing on the transmission case at freeway speeds from not being tied down properly. it could be a failing crank position sensor but without an oscilloscope there isnt much of a way to test it unless you replace it lol. good luck

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Intermittent stall problems with no codes usually turn out to be a bad pin-fit someplace on the ECM or TCM connectors or on one of the engine sensors. If they haven't gone over it with a pin-fit tool, they need to.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Took a few days for a code to show up when I had a loose hose. Maybe you have an air leak.

Spark plugs?
Fuel injectors? Ethanol can crap out an engine.
Lean banks if a code ever shows up.

What happened to you has happened to me various times over the years. Just have to brain shoot and DD until it gets figured out.

Good luck, eventually you will get your solution because your rogue is 3 yrs younger than mine so you should be able to fix it too. :woot:

Mine runs smooth as butter at the moment. But boy did it have those stutter/stall moments too. :bang

Try some fuel cleaners of your choice. Those have cured a few lean bank codes/sputtering/stalling engines in the past. :dblthumb:

worldbikr
Car: na

I had rough idle and replaced coils with cheap new ones. Also had to replace valve cover due to oil going down plug holes. But these were after 200k miles on a 2008.

Return to “Rogue Forum”