2012 Rogue AC compressor clutch issue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
rhp23
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue

The AC compressor clutch stopped engaging so I've got a new clutch and coil and replaced it. Initially it looked like the problem was fixed, AC was working perfectly, but the next day I found that sometimes squeaky sound is coming from the engine compartment while the AC is off and when the AC is on it sounds like normal and AC blows cold air. When I get under the hood I immediately realized that while the AC compressor pulley is rotating the AC compressor clutch is not. Sometimes AC clutch rotates just for a few degrees and during these tiny rotations it makes squeaky sound. When AC is on everything is working the way it supposed to be, pulley and clutch rotate normally. I am just wondering what could be the reason for this problem. Thanks!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The clutch isn't supposed to rotate when the compressor is off, only the pulley does. That's the purpose of the clutch, to disengage the compressor shaft (which is attached to the front plate of the clutch) from the pulley (which is attached to the back half of the clutch and spins freely around the shaft when the clutch is unpowered). That's all normal. The little rotations it's making aren't normal, those imply that there's something wrong with the clutch, the compressor, or the electrical system which drives the clutch. You can eliminate the latter by putting a test lamp on the compressor wire to see if it lights up when the compressor squeaks. If it does then the problem is electrical or electrical control, if not then it's mechanical.

rhp23

Some clutches rotate all the time and some only when AC is on. In case of 2012 Rogue it should rotate with the pulley all the time and when AC is on, the clutch with the pulley rotates with the slightly lower rpms.
The squeaky sound comes only when compressor is off and apperently it is due to the friction between pulley and clutch since is supposed to rotate with the pulley, but it is not

rhp23

my bad, on my 2020 Camry clutch is rotating all the time so I thought the same story here. I add couple of extra shims and clutch is moving freely while AC is off and it is engaged while AC is on

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

rhp23 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 6:41 pm
Some clutches rotate all the time and some only when AC is on. In case of 2012 Rogue it should rotate with the pulley all the time and when AC is on, the clutch with the pulley rotates with the slightly lower rpms. The squeaky sound comes only when compressor is off and apperently it is due to the friction between pulley and clutch since is supposed to rotate with the pulley, but it is not
The '12's didn't have swash plate compressors, those came in with the gen2's in '14. If yours never cycles under any circumstances when the A/C is on, there's something wrong with it. Unfortunately the HAC section is missing from the '12 FSM here, but the system didn't change between '11~'12. See HAC-79 (Automatic) and HAC-175 (Manual) here, both versions are cycling clutch and not swash plate:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... %2FHAC.pdf

The transistor amplifier shown in the lower parts of the diagrams is linked to the evap, it changes state when the evap reaches a cold enough temperature. That signals the ECM to cycle the clutch and disengage the compressor. Swash compressors have a second electrical connection for a solenoid (ECV) which varies the "throw" of the compressor piston, so instead of cycling the clutch, the compressor runs constantly but moves little refrigerant when there's no demand. If you pull up the HAC for a '14 model, you can see how that works and what it looks like electrically. That's probably what's in your Camry:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... %2FHAC.pdf

rhp23

So now it works perfectly. Apparently with the lack of shims present the clutch body is attached to the pulley body and it rotates simultaneously. Extra shim was enough to separate the clutch from the pulley while AC is off

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That's all that matters. Glad you got it working right.
:dblthumb:

Return to “Rogue Forum”