2012 Question

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
50K50
Car: 2012 Sentra

Own a 2012 - bought used at about 39K around 4 years ago. At 110K now.

No problems whatsoever until about a week ago. Fluid temp mode incident limiting to about 60 mph with CVT whine. Pushing it harder than usual on non-stop 3 hour trip - 2 other passengers with gear and running about 75-80mph instead of usual 70mph on cruise. One passenger kid who accidentally slipped it into neutral for about 2 seconds. Sunny and about 95 degrees.

Let it sit for about an hour. Drove home with one 2 hour stop, no problems. No problems driving around town since. Car only used for 2 hour+ trips twice before. Normally used for small town driving and hour-long interstate trips maybe 4 times per month.

Fluid smells ok and at correct level. Did not learn about CVT issues (knew it had one but unaware of problems) until about 100k then got extremely conflicting advice about changing fluid from many folks - including local dealer ("we don't like to change after 90K").

Should I:

take to dealer and get diagnosis (the general response would be new trans, but would they install cooler instead)?

Do nothing and see what happens (since temp mode is characterized as "something that can happen" in owners manual)?

Install aftermarket cooler (I would fool with fluid but my usual non-dealer repair guy won't touch)?

Look for new car?

macgiver

Hey , summer is almost over , no long trips like this for a while ? Just go and get/ask SPECIFICALLY for a CVTdropped pan / drain / refill/ new or blown out screen , DO NOT TELL THIS SHOP ANY PROBLEMS . You simply say ,If they got the gaul to ask , " it's time for some CVT fluid change . (period) " . Because you'll have this necessary maintenance behind you (removal of "Burnt" fluid) , AND a external cooler they are gonna charge as much or more for installing that. So unless ( I doubt it) a cooler mod is dirt cheap or your commited - hold off for now on that ! This being said since you consider selling a possibility - your really not there YET.

Because if you drive "normally" , get past THIS summer , you will have 8 months to see if car OK and THEN you install that external cooler mod for NEXT summer / if "bad" then sell or whatever .Something to think carefully about , what options , to do what first , etc.
My opinion , best thing to do is order that CVT change fluid , be "tight lipped " about it :rotfl

50K50
Car: 2012 Sentra

Thanks for the advice. Before I proceed, any idea why some dealerships refuse to change fluid on high mileage? Should I not say if fluid has been changed or not (it seems they run a scan). Also, some folks recommend drain and replace instead of drop-pan treatment, any thoughts?

macgiver

Maybe you don't goto a "Dealership".They can & will scan.

If scanned ,you may say , like I will say " I had it done , before , just they weren't equipped to reset" ,and "I don't have the rct to show right here with me" . ( I do have mine - this is you) .

Drop pan you see "Live and in color" any residue , take pics , wipe the crap - much better , effective , more compete job , more informative than the "Lazy mechanics " drain/replace , half AZZZZZ job.

Tight lipped my man , you simply hire to have the job , done right way (go over the method w/them to be sure) , for a "set" and fixed price -PERIOD . No telling or suggesting a problem here , don't let them get "chummy" that they will PRY more info out of you to use against you , jacking SH$%%t up !!!! :inout:
LEAVE for another shop if you get Cp'n Kirk's red alert in your gut.

Lastly , make it so , that they put it right up on lift , that they DO NOT do a "beat the crap test drive" where they uncover , or worse CREATE more problems . You STAY till it's up in the air- gitt'n er done !!!
LEAVE for another shop if you get Cp'n Kirk's red alert in your gut.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”