2012 Quest power steering leak

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
Lewis774
Car: 2012 Nissan Quest

Hi,
I am checking a friends 2012 Quest power steering unit that leaks pretty severely. Aside from this it is a really nice vehicle.
I looked at the manual here which is awesome to have!
I tested the unit by turning the wheel to lock to see where the leak is.
I was hoping it was a line, but it appears to be from the body of the unit toward the rear of the unit.
Can this be rebuilt? It looks like a replacement is about $1100. Would a used ebay one be worth it for about $250?
I didn't see a lot on the forum about this problem, maybe it is not too common and a used one would be OK?
Thanks

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Make sure it isn't fluid that's coming down inside the sheath on the high-pressure line. The line makes a bow shape going across the back of the engine, and it's secured to the back of the intake manifold with a clamp and 6mm screw. The most common leaks on VQ35's are always underneath that clamp, but because the fluid leaks inside the sheathing around the hose, it can look like the pump itself is the source. If conventional leak-finding techniques can't definitively find it, put some UV dye in the reservoir and break out the magic flashlight.

Lewis774

Thanks I’ll check the high pressure line again

schuylkill
Car: 2004 Nissan Quest SE

Hopefully that is it. Hose was leaking in a couple of places on my 2004, what a mess. I replaced spring clamps with hose clamps but still have to keep an eye on them. Car-part.com is a good site for used parts.

Lewis774

Over the weekend I put some uv fluid in the reservoir and it did look like it was visible under the low-pressure return going into the pump. However, it's also a lot from under the pump. I switched out the stock clamp with 1 fuel injection type clamp and one hose clamp next to one another. It still leaks a lot from back under the pump, so it looks like that's the source. I'm sure the clamps are tight, and they are not supposed to need to be crazy tight on the low pressure line, I think.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Lewis774 wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:33 pm
Over the weekend I put some uv fluid in the reservoir and it did look like it was visible under the low-pressure return going into the pump. However, it's also a lot from under the pump. I switched out the stock clamp with 1 fuel injection type clamp and one hose clamp next to one another. It still leaks a lot from back under the pump, so it looks like that's the source. I'm sure the clamps are tight, and they are not supposed to need to be crazy tight on the low pressure line, I think.
Yah, that's correct, over-tightening will just screw up the hoses. Low pressure lines can get porous and leach, but you usually only see that on very old rides. It would be unusual on a '12. Provided you let it run long enough, the dye won't lie. So if you're not seeing much above the level of the pump, then the pump pretty much has to be it.

Return to “Quest Forum”