2012 Pathfinder Transfer Case Fluid Change

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
natetrop
Car: 2012 Pathfinder SV 4x4

I did a fluid drain and fill on my Pathfinder with part-time 4x4, expecting that 2qt of Matic D would be enough but after two full bottles, except for the tiny bit left over from the pump, it was still not coming out of the fill plug. The truck was jacked up in the front with the wheels maybe half an inch off the ground.

I do not have any more Matic D and am worried that I underfilled the transfer case. The only thing I have left is Transmax multi-import and I figure it is a bad idea to mix fluid types like that.

Just curious if anyone has done the change and if their took more than 2qt. I have a 200 mile drive coming up and no way to get to a Nissan dealer before then, hoping I am ok.

I guess the other thing I could do is buy some Valvoline Dex/Merc and either do a full drain and fill again or just add some.

macgiver

Always buy the one more bottle - you can always exchange for like brake fluid or something for the next maint. job . But x-fer case at least is not as critical as transmission internals ( unless yours is "All-in-one" ). So if you can stick a piece of white cardboard strip - make your own dipstick - and see that it's only 1/2 " whatever low - hell you put in 2 qqts ? What's the fluid capacity spec ? Only thing here is the Matic D stumps me being trans fluid , some "cases take it though".And Transmax as much as being compatible ??? You'll have to decide if you got X " low on just a X-fer case or a TRANSMISSION :facepalm:

natetrop

Manual says 2 1/8 qt, not sure if that is full capacity or just refill since some should be left over. Sticky here says 2.3 qt.

Manual calls for Matic D in the transfer case.

natetrop

I found another bottle of Matic D. Barely added any until it started overflowing. Oh well.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”