2012 nissan sentra pulsating upon takeoff

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
Dustyk87
Car: Hardbody ka24e

stuck on an incline before taking off. After about 45 ft accelerating it started jerking back and forth for about 3 seconds. Has drove fine ever since. Happened about 3 months ago also

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

I would start by making sure the ATF is fresh and clean. Neglected transmission fluid changes are a major cause of transmission slippage and premature wear and tear.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

A few answers are needed to sort this out.

Is the transmission the 6-speed manual, or the CVT? I'm willing to bet it's the latter.

How long since the tranny was last serviced? If you've got a CVT, Nissan recommends regular service every 30k miles.

How many miles on the tranny? CVT's have a much shorter lifespan vs normal transmissions.

outThere
Car: 2002 Nissan Sentra GXE
2004 Sentra
2006 Chevy Malibu

i would say you have an air leak somewhere after the MAF or a dirty MAF or TB. If it only did that once no worries.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Rogue One wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:26 pm
A few answers are needed to sort this out.
Is the transmission the 6-speed manual, or the CVT? I'm willing to bet it's the latter.
How long since the tranny was last serviced? If you've got a CVT, Nissan recommends regular service every 30k miles.
How many miles on the tranny? CVT's have a much shorter lifespan vs normal transmissions.
I assumed it was a CVT because of the "stuck on an incline" statement and no mention of manual clutch action technique to move forward without rolling backwards first or stalling it because the clutch was dumped too fast without enough gas pedal action.
Nissan's service schedule for the '12 Sentra CVT fluid is I (Inspect, Correct or replace if necessary) every 15K miles, as indicated in the FSM. Nissan doesn't even have a R (Replace) indicated at any mileage point and the schedule in the FSM only goes up to 60K miles. I guess Nissan doesn't have much faith in the longevity of their own product. However, in the '12 Nissan Service and Maintenance Guide, which covers numerous models like one size fits all (what a joke), CVT fluid inspection is called for every 30K miles but there is also an "optional premium upgrade" indicated to replace the CVT fluid every 30K miles. (clear as mud)

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”