2012 Nissan Rogue makes roaring noise ... ideas?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
MortonBathSalts
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue

Hi all,

My 2012 Nissan Rogue is having the following issue:

- As I accelerate, a loud roaring/humming noise increases proportional to my speed. The faster I go, the louder it gets. The car sounds like a go-kart.
- I've diagnosed that the sound is not the engine by revving it in neutral while both stopped and as it coasts down the road.
- If I turn the wheel slightly to the right, the noise abates. It happens when going straight and left.
- I've checked the wheel bearings on all four wheels and could not recreate the sound or hear anything similar
- I had to replace a faulty CV join in the right front wheel in 2020 by the Nissan dealership
- I replaced all four tires and it had no impact on the noise level

I've attached a video here if it helps to hear the sound.

Wanted to see if there were any thoughts from this group before I take it in for the dealership to look at it.
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix Link(s)

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Roaring like that is almost always a wheel bearing, especially since unloading one of the wheels by turning mitigates the noise. Bearings can't be checked by shaking like the old days unless they're falling apart, and it doesn't take disintegration for a bearing to make God's own racket. It only takes a nick in one of the rollers. The only good way to verify it is jack the front end and turn off the VDC, then roll the wheels in gear with a stethoscope on the hub. Good bearings only make a noise like a passing breeze, an almost-inaudible hiss. Any kind of clicking or other noise means the bearing is bad, even if the noise is very faint. It won't be faint at road speed with the bearing loaded.

The only other common source of roaring like that which changes in a turn is twisted belts in a radial tire, usually the result of cross-rotating. Once a belt twists the tire will be noisy for life, putting it back in the original rolling orientation won't shut it up.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - The tipoff to a twisted belt is usually that certain road surfaces will seem to shut it up and others will seem to aggravate it. That won't happen with a bearing.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PPS - If the bearings and tires are both ruled out, it's possible an outer CV is the culprit. But that's very rare, bad CV's will usually make a lot of rude noises in a tight turn and not just at speed.

MortonBathSalts
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue

Thanks so much for the response. I'll have to do another look at the wheel bearings and explore that again, Do you think it could be a bearing within the actual CV joint itself that's making the noise?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

MortonBathSalts wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:30 am
Thanks so much for the response. I'll have to do another look at the wheel bearings and explore that again, Do you think it could be a bearing within the actual CV joint itself that's making the noise?
Like I said, it's possible but unlikely. The noise from an inner CV or shaft carrier bearing wouldn't be changing with turns, and an outer CV would probably be giving you other symptoms like clicking at the lock positions. No matter what it turns out to be, your best friend will be a stethoscope with the wheels in the air. The sealed rollers used today just can't be diagnosed like old-school tapered bearings, the internal clearances are so tight that even the littlest damage to a roller can make a pretty thunderous racket under load.

Paukat87
Car: 2016 Nissan Rouge AWD

Hi. Just wondering what the problem was found to be? My Rouge is making the exact same noise. Im thinking wheel bearings but it’s hard to pin point the source. Thanks

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Wheel bearings are the usual culprit, but read the post immediately above yours. You won't locate it without a listening device and the wheels jacked. Nissan bearings are almost all roller types, so all it takes is a tiny flat spot to make God's own racket. Good bearings make at most an almost-inaudible hiss. Any kind of clicking or other noise means the bearing is bad, even if the noise is very faint.

worldbikr
Car: na

My driver bearing made a sound like an airplane taking off as speed increased I replaced bearing assembly myself problem solved. 345k miles.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

worldbikr wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:21 pm
My driver bearing made a sound like an airplane taking off as speed increased I replaced bearing assembly myself problem solved. 345k miles.

You’re rogue is like the the energizer bunny and keeps on going. You have practically 230,000 more miles than my 2009 rogue. It will definitely go down in history on this forum or planet of lasting the longest. I wouldn’t be surprised if you made half a million miles. Congrats!🎉

Return to “Rogue Forum”