2012 Murano, front end noise

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
Rajawali
Car: 2012 Nissan Murano SV

When hitting a hole or a bump on the pavement with the right front tire, quite often there was a noise as if something is loose or there was a harsh noise similar to metal hitting metal. Quite often because the noise came on depending on the speed of the vehicle. There was never this type of noise coming from the left front end, just the normal soft thud one would expect from a new vehicle. I bought this Murano new in 2012 and has about 30,000 km on it.

The dealer checked this problem three times and told me they could not find anything loose or wrong. Twice a service advisor came with me for a road test, and perplexingly told me they could not hear anything different.

I am asking member of this forum if anybody has experienced this kind of problem. Comments would be greatly appreciated.

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

Welcome to NICO!

Bumping your post to see if anyone has any ideas. I had this issue once coming, but it was because my spare tire area in my Sentra was jacked up after a repair and things were being tossed around.

My instincts gravitate toward some sort of suspension component, but it bums me out that a dealer wouldn't have seen this. Hopefully someone has an idea. Might not be a bad idea to get a second opinion. Does it sound more pronounced or dramatic at higher speeds or is it roughly the same regardless of speed?

Rajawali

Thanks for your comments RicerX.

The noise is more pronounced at higher city speeds. I wasn't able to replicate the noise on highway speeds because most of our highways are pretty smooth and do not have potholes.

I am perplexed that the mechanic riding with me claimed he couldn't hear a disturbing noise. I must admit that the noise did not come up all the time. Perhaps only on 60% of the time I hit a pothole depending on speed.

wireman98
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano LE

I had a clunking from the front end which was really hard to find. Finally I discovered that 2 motor mounts were gone which seems to be common on the Murano.
One was under the transmission and the other was a front left. Something to check anyway

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

Ours is showing these symtoms from time to time too...It's my wife's car...she complains about it, and then I get in it, and it won't do it.

I've noticed it making turns, like the strut bearing is binding or something....

Motor mounts is an interesting thought, but I'd hate to think those are going away at just 40k miles.

Rajawali

Thanks wireman98. I'll get them checked next time I go in for an oil change. I will report the findings.

Yesterday, I checked the rear bushing of the front lower suspension-arm when changing my snow tires to my all-seasons again. Couldn't detect any difference between the left and right, and the bushings appear to be all right.

Molava
Car: Nissan Murano 2012 ti

Dear rajawali,

I have a 2012 Murano ti model with 73000kms on the clock which I bought from the auctions and since you can't test drive those cars I didn't know it has exactly the symptoms you have described. I took it Nissan twice and gave it to the service manager to drive it and he confirmed the noise coming from the front suspension and they checked it out and said everything looks good. I took it to an Indy who confirmed the same noise and he's still doing some research as he doesn't want to start throwing unnecessary parts on the car. I was just wondering if you have found the solution to the problem.

Kind regards

Rajawali

Not yet. I haven't had a change to pursue the noise issue any further. However, the post by wiseman98 seems to be quite logical. I am hoping to hear more about this before I do something. I will make a post then.

Return to “Murano Forum”