2012 maintenance questions

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
LSG
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue

Hi everyone, great forum you have here. I have a few questions that I have done a good amount of searching on but I still have a few questions and I want to make 100% sure I am doing things correctly.

I am taking over the maintenance on my sister-in-laws 2012 nissan rogue. I need to do
-oil change
-Rear diff (easy, no questions here other than full synthetic or semi)
-Transfer case- this one I'm not sure about. I read the DIY write up someone else did and it was very informative but then after more research I got confused about what type of fluid a 2012 takes. It's always in 4x4 but it does have a "lock" button, but no dial
-spark plugs. I've heard ngk iridium, anyone have a part number?

Is there anything else that I should be paying attention to? It has 95k miles and has been going to nissan for scheduled maintenance but with everything going on I'm trying to save her some money.

The only thing I will not do after reading in this forum is the cvt trans fluid. Not really sure why but that seems to be taboo on these vehicles for some reason

Thank you everyone in advance!

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

If anything, definitely do the cvt fluid drain and fill.
    Easy as an oil change, 5-6 qts.

Use synthetic 75w-90 gear oil for transfer case, its the same as the rear differential.

I let the others chime in for the rest. :wavey:

Rogue One
    Administrator
    Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
    2012 Nissan Rogue SL
    2012 Honda CR-V LX
    2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

I'm pretty certain all of your questions have been answered in other threads.
    08-13 ROGUE DIY REPAIRS & MAINTENANCE, FAQ & INFO, TIPS, etc
    LSG wrote:
    Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:45 pm
    -Transfer case- this one I'm not sure about. I read the DIY write up someone else did and it was very informative but then after more research I got confused about what type of fluid a 2012 takes. It's always in 4x4 but it does have a "lock" button, but no dial
    Okay, I'm not sure if you've been misinformed, or simply unfamiliar with the difference between AWD and 4x4, but they are NOT the same thing (which also explains why there's no dial).

Your 2012 Nissan Rogue DOES NOT have a 4x4 system. It is All Wheel Drive (AWD). The short description is that your vehicle is front wheel drive with AWD assist at low speeds only. The "AWD LOCK" splits power 50% to the front and 50% to the rear, but only works until 18 mph, and then turns off.

itsa300zx
    Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
    2011 Nissan Rouge S
    2008 Highlander SR5

According to the 2012 FSM:
    API GL5 80W-90 for the diff and transfer case. 1L should do both.
    I would do the CVT too, 6qt NS-2
    NGK 9029 are the OEM plugs. (Rockauto has them at a good price)

casperfun
    Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I remember using 80w-90 for a few weeks and only kept it inside my rogue for a few weeks, and decided to join the majority of the crowd in here and went with the better synthetic 75w-90 gear oil and changed it. My ocd told me to put the best and my anal butt did.

Don’t get me wrong, conventional 80w-90 is good too. :wavey:

itsa300zx
    Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
    2011 Nissan Rouge S
    2008 Highlander SR5

LOL, I use synthetic 75w90 too. Just letting the OP know his options.

LSG
    Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue

casperfun wrote:
    Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:39 pm
      If anything, definitely do the cvt fluid drain and fill.
      Easy as an oil change, 5-6 qts.

Use synthetic 75w-90 gear oil for transfer case, its the same as the rear differential.

I let the others chime in for the rest. :wavey:
      Awesome thank you! I'll look for either an 80w90 or 75w90 in full synthetic
      itsa300zx wrote:
      Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:33 am
      According to the 2012 FSM:
      API GL5 80W-90 for the diff and transfer case. 1L should do both.
      I would do the CVT too, 6qt NS-2
      NGK 9029 are the OEM plugs. (Rockauto has them at a good price)
      Thank you for the advice! Is the nissan dealer the only place to get this transmission fluid?
      What is the total fluid capacity? I know a drain and fill usually doesnt get it all out. On my trucks a drain and fill will drop about 8 quarts but it holds over 20.

Rogue One wrote:
      Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:22 pm
      I'm pretty certain all of your questions have been answered in other threads.
      [url=<a class="vglnk" href="08-13-rogue-diy-repairs-maintenance-faq ... 07234.html]08-13" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>forums</span><span>.</span><span>nicoclub</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>08</span><span>-</span><span>13</span><span>-</span><span>rogue</span><span>-</span><span>diy</span><span>-</span><span>repairs</span><span>-</span><span>maintenance</span><span>-</span><span>faq</span><span>-</span><span>info</span><span>-</span><span>tips</span><span>-</span><span>etc</span><span>-</span><span>t307234</span><span>.</span><span>html</span><span>]</span><span>08</span><span>-</span><span>13</span></a> ROGUE DIY REPAIRS & MAINTENANCE, FAQ & INFO, TIPS, etc[/url]
      LSG wrote:
      Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:45 pm
      Okay, I'm not sure if you've been misinformed, or simply unfamiliar with the difference between AWD and 4x4, but they are NOT the same thing (which also explains why there's no dial).

Your 2012 Nissan Rogue DOES NOT have a 4x4 system. It is All Wheel Drive (AWD). The short description is that your vehicle is front wheel drive with AWD assist at low speeds only. The "AWD LOCK" splits power 50% to the front and 50% to the rear, but only works until 18 mph, and then turns off.
      I am very familiar in the differences between awd and 4x4, I made some poor word choices in my initial post. I was just confused becasue I thought did find one thread saying some of the newer rogues needed an actual atf fluid in them instead of gear oil, but I may be wrong

Thanks for the explanation of what the 4x4 lock does, I was curious about the specifics of what that button did

Return to “Rogue Forum”