2012 M35H - 12V Battery Replacement

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
sadboy
Car: 2012 M35H

Was advised by my mechanic that the current 12V was only outputting 300 CCA - may cause issues during winter starts?

I went to costco and picked up an Energizer AGM 24F Battery (see photos) for 195.99 + tax.

I just want to ensure that i am not potentially messing up anything with the hybrid system by using this battery.

My mechanic also advised to maintain a 12V power supply to the vehicle during the swap to avoid any issues / wiping of memory.

Am i on the right track here or should i stick to OEM?

From my understanding and previous posts some users have installed replacement 12V batteries just fine but others have had hybrid error codes show up and the vehicle is not driveable / unresponsive.

Thanks

IMAGES

https://ibb.co/BrjbY0g
https://ibb.co/3yZ5CjC

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

If the 24F physically fits (and it should, I have it as an upgrade on my a Pathfinder and an XTerra which also use VQ series engines.) I dont see why not.
A too large battery is true can also cause issues but the 24F is only one step bigger than the stock batteries in my VQ powered cars ( so likely same on yours) and I like the extra reserves and my alternators have been quite healthy.

The advice of your mechanic is a good idea (though I never done it during a battery change and never had issues with this, but that is not to say anyone else wouldnt)

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If you disconnect 12V you'll have to re-time your power windows and re-educate your power seat, but there isn't much to worry about on that score. But (and this is a huge but), make sure the new battery hasn't discharged on somebody's concrete storage floor! Swapping a dead or weak battery into an EV or HEV can be a big mistake, resulting in lots of EV codes you can't clear with a regular scanner. Remember, N/I HEV's all use the traction motor to start the engine, so if the LBC or motor controller throw codes, you're going noplace till they're cleared out. Aside from that, normal procedures, negative off first and back on last.

sadboy
Car: 2012 M35H

Thanks for your responses - i saw on another forum post another individual had some hybrid error codes show up after what was a potentially successful battery swap..

Any tips on how i can avoid blowing fuses / any of the issues they described?

Just don’t want to get stranded.

Appreciate it

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If it does turn out to be a blown fuse, chances are sparks were to blame. That usually happens from hooking up positive last. Both terminals will throw tiny sparks when the car is connected, but people don't realize that sparks on the negative terminal have far less energy and are far less likely to cause problems. Disconnect negative first and connect it last, you'll never have issues.

vamar75
Car: 2013 Infiniti M35H

Hi,

Really nice to know this,first remove the minus and after plus and then first install plus and then the minus.
Anything about hybrid battery,I could not find anything about the cost of replacing this module.
I need at least to know a part number,maybe on the internet i will find valuable information since I am in the process o buying such car.
Thank you!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

vamar75 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:05 am
Hi,

Really nice to know this, first remove the minus and after plus and then first install plus and then the minus.

Anything about hybrid battery? I could not find anything about the cost of replacing this module.

I need at least to know a part number, maybe on the internet I will find valuable information since I am in the process of buying such car.

Thank you!
https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”