2012 Infiniti M56 Engine Cuts When Starting + More

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Shanehsmp
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35x - Sold
2012 Infiniti M56x
2016 Infiniti QX70s

So my rebuilt 2012 M56x is doing some weird stuff the past couple of weeks.

Engine had the oil jet recall done about 20k ago(previous owner), now sits at about 60k. Car is likely still on original Spark Plugs, haven't gotten around to that yet - winter and no garage space to do work. Oil has been changed twice by me using Mobil 1 synthetic and the newer Gf-6a formula, new Fram filters both times. Interval set at about 3500miles with top ups inbetween as needed. Previous owner also had his car at Infiniti on regualr intervals based on the carfax and seemed to take real good care of the car.

Issues I've encountered:
•Gas Mileage went from 16mpg avg down to like 10.8mpg avg after doing a cross Canada drive back in October.
•Within the past few weeks, car has been having rough starts, sometimes it would take a few different attempts to get the car to stay on. Car idles fine, no gas smell at all.
•Sometimes at stop lights/signs, the car would lunge/jerk forward after giving it a little bit of gas. This only happened a few times on one day, nothing in the past month and a half.
•Today I had to try x4 times to get the car to start and stay running as well as give it some gas - which seemed to do the trick.
•I'm not getting any codes/lights on dash.
•I changed my PCV valves two days ago and I AM getting better combined fuel economy, haven't really driven enough to gauge whether that fixed the bad economy issue or not.

I'm hoping this is not the oil jet/bucket issue. Engine sounds normal, although it can be hit or miss with a sluggish feel after letting it warm up a bit.

Any suggestions or ideas? Could this be a MAP sensor issue? I'd say I need plugs regardless, but i was hoping it could wait until spring.

Let me know....thanks!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

More likely the MAF. Check it for crud and make sure your issue isn't butterfly wings. Then do an idle volume relearn (IAVL). There are plenty of threads in here about how to do that with or without a scanner.

Shanehsmp
2012 Infiniti M56x
2016 Infiniti QX70s

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:53 pm
More likely the MAF. Check it for crud and make sure your issue isn't butterfly wings. Then do an idle volume relearn (IAVL). There are plenty of threads in here about how to do that with or without a scanner.
I'll try changing my air filters, they are K & N (came with the car) and recently "re-charged"....maybe that is the culprit. I did recently inspect and clean the MAF's. I'll look at the TB as well, I must say that they were pretty clean when I was changing my PCV.

Shanehsmp
2012 Infiniti M56x
2016 Infiniti QX70s

So small update, MAFs were cleaned, dried and reinstalled. Inspected the MAP sensor - it seemed clean.

I did an Idle Air Volume relearn. Started the car; started normally with no hesitation - let it warm up and then ran my code reading app to see if the timing was within spec (11 +/- 2°) it was reading 13°. Still no codes. I had it idling for a while and noticed that my gas mileage avg was showing 15mpg but quickly dropped and dropped down to about 5mpg. Is this normal?

I took it for a quick drive around the block and I noticed that it felt real sluggish, but I was able to get up to 40+ mph. I did a quick ECU reset, did some more street driving and it just didn't feel peppy, took a while to get it up to speed.

I'm hoping this isn't what I think it is, but this doesn't feel promising especially from searching this forum for other 5.6 owners that have had similar weird operating issues...

Is there anything else I could be checking for and how without proper codes?
**Note - I've gone through the Engine Control Systems factory manual and I'm not really getting anywhere since I don't own a consult tool.
The dealership would be the last case resort...I'm going to order a lifter bucket and seal in the AM, just in case all signs are pointing to that failing.

EdBwoy

What other parameters can your OBD2 tool give you?
I would be looking at fuel trims, fuel pressure, injector timing, fuel pump duty, HPFP timing, o2 sensors, just to name a few.

If you can though, I'd get it to a dealer soon. They can read a whole lot of live data way quicker than most of us regulars. Plus, if the car needed to stay for an extended duration, they have always been gracious enough to offer me a loaner.

I'll say a little prayer to the HPFP gods for you.

Shanehsmp
2012 Infiniti M56x
2016 Infiniti QX70s

EdBwoy wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:30 am
What other parameters can your OBD2 tool give you?
I would be looking at fuel trims, fuel pressure, injector timing, fuel pump duty, HPFP timing, o2 sensors, just to name a few.

If you can though, I'd get it to a dealer soon. They can read a whole lot of live data way quicker than most of us regulars. Plus, if the car needed to stay for an extended duration, they have always been gracious enough to offer me a loaner.

I'll say a little prayer to the HPFP gods for you.
I DL'd a better scanner app called "Car Scanner" it has greater abilities than the other one I had. Since I didn't have any codes or lights I thought I was ok - so I changed the lifter bucket, inspected the HPFP and everything looked good.

Went for a little shake down and ran the new scanner app and I got a PLETHORA of codes, now I'm feeling pretty defeated...

Car Scanner ELM OBD2
DTC report
Selected brand: Infiniti
VIN: *****

============1==============
P0087
Raw code: 0087
ECU: Engine control unit
OBDII: Fuel rail/system pressure too low
Infiniti: Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low

============2==============
P1220
Raw code: 1220
Status: Pending fault present, Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle
OBDII: Series Throttle Control System Malfunction
Infiniti: Series Throttle Control System Malfunction; FPCM

============3==============
P0087
Raw code: 0087
Status: Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle
OBDII: Fuel rail/system pressure too low
Infiniti: Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low

============4==============
B2627(00)
Raw code: A62700
ECU: BCM[Archive (inactive)]

============5==============
U1000
Raw code: D000
ECU: Adaptive headlights
Status: Pending fault present, Pending fault present during this driving cycle, Test conditions are met, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle
OBDII: Class 2 Communication Malfunction
Infiniti: SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Primary Id

============6==============
C1A16(00)
Raw code: 5A1600
ECU: Adaptive cruise control[Archive (inactive)]

============7==============
U1000(00)
Raw code: D00000
ECU: Heater & air conditioning[Archive (inactive)]

============8==============
B2631(00)
Raw code: A63100
ECU: Heater & air conditioning

============9==============
B262B(00)
Raw code: A62B00
ECU: Heater & air conditioning

============10==============
U1000(01)
Raw code: D00001
ECU: Multi audio/video control unit[Archive (inactive)]

============11==============
U1000(00)
Raw code: D00000
ECU: Precrash seatbelt protection[Archive (inactive)]

============12==============
B2470(00)
Raw code: A47000
ECU: Precrash seatbelt protection[Archive (inactive)]
Infiniti: Interior Fan Control Circuit Short to Ground

============13==============
C1A16
Raw code: 5A16
ECU: Intelligent brake assist
Status: Pending fault present, Test has not been completed, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle

The funny thing is, none of these were present when I had the car scanned via a heavy duty Autel Scanner (this was in September) - I haven't done anything to the car since putting it all back together in late September.

Shanehsmp
2012 Infiniti M56x
2016 Infiniti QX70s

Note - I did pull the fuse to relieve fuel pressure, before removing the HPFP. I'm thinking that is why the P0187, P1220. I'm going to clear the codes and see what happens.

Shanehsmp
2012 Infiniti M56x
2016 Infiniti QX70s

So went back out, cleared the code and checked my negative battery wire - it was a little loose, it looks like the terminal is a little smaller than it should be and the connector rotates with a little bit of force. The loose negative cable could explain a lot of these other codes, but I'll have to fix this soon.

Now I'm just getting the following:
B262B
Faulty Exhaust Gas Sensor
Exhaust Gas Sensor harness is open or shorted
Exhaust Gas Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
Faulty Air Condition (A/C) Automatic Amplifier

and

B2631
Faulty Sunload Sensor
Sunload Sensor harness is open or shorted
Sunload Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
Faulty Air Condition (A/C) Automatic Amplifier

I'll trace these, I know the gas sensor was an Ebay part, not sure why the Sunload sensor would be off unless it's the A/C amplifier that's not working correctly. I don't mind difficulty, but my Jamaican blood isn't meant to be working on a car in the cold.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Ignore the B2631, it will clear as soon as the car leaves your garage and the sensor sees sunlight.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Shanehsmp wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:30 am
VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:53 pm
I'll try changing my air filters, they are K & N (came with the car) and recently "re-charged"....maybe that is the culprit. I did recently inspect and clean the MAF's. I'll look at the TB as well, I must say that they were pretty clean when I was changing my PCV.

K&N filters and Nissan/Infiniti MAFs are natural enemies.
The oil will always find its way onto the MAF and mess things up.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PalmerWMD wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:32 pm
K&N filters and Nissan/Infiniti MAFs are natural enemies.
The oil will always find its way onto the MAF and mess things up.
It's worse than that, K&N filters don't actually filter anything. Your engine takes in 9000 gallons of air (plus whatever crud is in your local atmosphere) for every gallon of fuel you burn. K&N's are a quick route to an engine that lasts 50K instead of 250K. That may not matter on a racetrack, but to most people it will matter a lot.

Shanehsmp
2012 Infiniti M56x
2016 Infiniti QX70s

So my car is still acting crazy. No codes, but I'm getting some new things happening while the car is idling. I have no clue what these mean, but the car is failing in the EGR, FUEL and Exhaust areas :gotme
The car smells Rich, I also have a lot of black soot on the exhaust tips, however my air fuel ratio is normal around +/-14.7 range when driving. Based on my scanner, my fuel trims are within a good range, one of the banks is a little outside the optimal -10% to 10% range, but still below the acceptable -15% to 15%. So this leads me to it being the Spark plugs. As I mentioned previously, I think these are still the OEM plugs as the car only had about 52,000 miles when I got it. I have no visible vacuum leaks, PCV valves have been recently changed, ECU and IAVL relearns have been done.

So it leads me to a new set of plugs and boots. I know NGK Iridium is the OEM, but I like to test things out and ordered a set of the NGK Ruthenium HX plugs
NGK Spark Plugs is introducing the latest technology in high ignitability spark plugs to the automotive aftermarket: NGK Ruthenium HX. Today's efficient engine designs create more power while using less fuel and this has shortened the life of traditional Iridium and Platinum spark plugs. In response, NGK's patented Ruthenium technology is used for maximum durability and performance in newer engines where efficiency is demanded.
  • Features & Benefits:
    DFE (double fine electrode) and PSPE (projected square platinum electrode) tip designs. DFE maximizes ignitability while reducing emissions for low heat engines, and PSPE provides the best ignitability and service life for high heat (typically turbo and supercharged) engines.
    Superior oxidation resistance and enhanced blistering/anti-peeling to provide the most optimal durability at high temperatures in various driving conditions.
    Advanced high-ignitability technology that provides more complete fuel burn than other precious metal spark plugs, resulting in quicker throttle response, smoother idle, and better cold starts.
I also read that these plugs are best in DIG applications - not sure about that claim.

They get here Thursday, I'll try to get a day when it's not freezing out and change them up. Hoping this solves the issue.

M56boss
Car: 2011 infiniti M56X
07\08 M45X swap
04 Infiniti FX35

Bro it’s your HPFP mines did the same before the bucket rubbed against the cam over time HPFP is failing

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

I agree with M56boss. Doesn't sound like your plugs at all, sounds like the HPFP.I think you should have a tech look at your engine before buying parts that may or may not work, Shanehsmp.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”