2012 Infiniti m37 Bluetooth problem

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Sev96
Car: 2012 Infiniti m37

When I connect to my Bluetooth and listen to music it will randomly disconnect or it will freeze for a second and start playing the music again. I feel like it has to “buffer”. My music is downloaded so it doesn’t have to do with my music having to be buffered.

satown210
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37
2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road

Welcome to Infiniti. Bluetooth is useless. Streaming music may or may not work. The same goes for bluetooth phone calls. Usually I can have a conversation for a minute or two then it gets garbled and I have to switch back to the phone itself. The dealer tried doing a firmware update but it didn't help.

haleakalag

Hi. I had bluetooth issues w my old M37. I found an Infiniti: ITB12-054b https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/ ... 9-2280.pdf There is a DVD or CD which you put in your stereo and it will reprogram things. I have to say it worked great for me, and I was having major bluetooth issues which started after an Iphone IOS update. I would absolutely try it.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I still have my 2009 M35 and get a new HTC phone nearly every year. My car never has an issue. If you are using an I-phone, it's probably due to the fact that the arse-wipes at apple go out of their way to ensure nothing they make will work reliably with any non-apple product. For that reason, I will never own an apple product. Their products frequently require you to buy an after market gizmo to work around the issues they build into their crap.

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

Sev96,

2015+ Q70's do not have a streaming problem with Bluetooth. The BT module changed in later years and it corrected the streaming issue. I have to wait about 30 seconds to a minute for the music to stop "buffering" and then it plays fine. The title of the song never appears on the screen, but that's a problem I'll live with.

Larz, my iPhone X works flawlessly with my Samsung soundbar and Shure 535 bluetooth adapter for my earphones. This is an Infiniti issue.

haleakalag

Related to my above post and others here, I spent weeks on this in 2016 shortly after an IOS IPhone update. Prior to that I had enjoyed 4 perfect 2011 M37 Bluetooth years. That is to say, I would turn on my car, the Bluetooth would almost always immediately play, display song name, etc. NO issues. Sure, it would disconnect once in awhile. If I got a call, or went back and forth a bunch to FM, of course occasionally something might happen. But I can state it was excellent. Then that one week in 2016 it all went bad. Couldn’t make calls on Bluetooth properly, music, etc. After reading about the Infiniti service bulletin and IPhones, I got hold of the firmware DVD, and immediately things went back to normal, or near normal. My Q70 Bluetooth is no better or worse from a reliability perspective. It remains very antiquated at this point, but that’s another issue. Please ensure your dealer has the DVD or can get it. No downside.

cliffyk
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37 w/ "Premium" package

FWIW I have no Bluetooth issues with my 2012 M37 and a Samsung "Sx" phone....

GMBQ70
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70 3.7 AWD

Try deleting your phone and reconnect per the video below.
It seems not only pairing the phone, but connecting as a Bluetooth audio player may help.
This worked for me and my Bluetooth works everytime with no skips etc. Although about once a week the song title doesn’t appear on my screen, which means no using the audio controls.

Hope this helps you out.

http://youtu.be/6XtHd94cAEM

satown210

haleakalag wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:27 pm
Hi. I had bluetooth issues w my old M37. I found an Infiniti: ITB12-054b https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/ ... 9-2280.pdf There is a DVD or CD which you put in your stereo and it will reprogram things. I have to say it worked great for me, and I was having major bluetooth issues which started after an Iphone IOS update. I would absolutely try it.
My Infiniti dealer did this exact update. It seemed to make the bluetooth about 10% more reliable but did not fix it. They had to do research because according to Infiniti there is not any update at all out there when they enter the vin.

walt1227
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56S

I had that same issues when I first got my 2011 M56s. I was using a iPhone 7s and it would constantly jump in and out as if it was a CD skipping. I ended up switching to a Samsung S8+ and have not had that issue anymore. I think it is something with Apple products that causes the problem. My wife had a Samsung S7 Edge at that time when I had the iPhone 7s and she never had that issue with bluetooth.

I now have an issue with the car mic sounding as if you are riding with the windows down while on the phone. Long as the car is sitting still it sounds fine but soon as you start driving it starts.

satown210

It is an Apple issue. Apple constantly deviates from known standards and has compatibility issues with 3rd party devices. My Infiniti dealer said it has been a cat and mouse game with the new Infinitis and getting them to cooperate with iOS. Everything will be kosher and then Apple does an update and suddenly nothing plays nice anymore.

Malbec 56 Beast
Car: 2013 Infiniti M66xS Totaled 4/11/20
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy
1983 Porsche 928 S Euro (Sold) 2/17/20

I have a 2013 M56xS and an iPhone 6s plus.

I can stream and call except I don't get the info of what I'm streaming or the callers name etc.

If I leave my car in the Bluetooth mode and Spotify up on my phone it works but if I choose our on my phone or listen to FM it acts like I discussed earlier.

Is the car not the phone.

Andy

satown210

But is an issue with Apple being compatible. People with androids are not having issues.

haleakalag

The service bulletin specifically mentioned an Apple IOS fix w the firmware/DVD. I know it was the problem w mine, which started immediately after some update 2 years ago.

cliffyk
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37 w/ "Premium" package

Larz wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:00 am
I still have my 2009 M35 and get a new HTC phone nearly every year. My car never has an issue. If you are using an I-phone, it's probably due to the fact that the arse-wipes at apple go out of their way to ensure nothing they make will work reliably with any non-apple product. For that reason, I will never own an apple product. Their products frequently require you to buy an after market gizmo to work around the issues they build into their crap.
This has been true since the Apple I and iI--many years ago when the Apple MacIntosh was first introduced and the computer media were not yet in Apple's "bag"a reviewer said of it ; "For the first week you will be amazed b what it can do, after that you will be amazed by what it cannot do..."

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

there's many discussions on this and my understanding was that the problem is on both sides although not equally shared in my opinion. I have beaten this horse to death in previous threads before completely giving up on BT and iOS in my M37 but one word of caution to the OP regarding the BT update.

During to update of my unit, there was a hiccup (so the dealer told me at the time) and my head unit was rendered useless. Would have cost me $6000 if not for the elite warranty. I was told the system froze during the update and the radio unit could not have been unfrozen and needed replacement....

it still doesn't work even with the new radio BTW....

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

haleakalag wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:58 am
Related to my above post and others here, I spent weeks on this in 2016 shortly after an IOS IPhone update. Prior to that I had enjoyed 4 perfect 2011 M37 Bluetooth years. That is to say, I would turn on my car, the Bluetooth would almost always immediately play, display song name, etc. NO issues. Sure, it would disconnect once in awhile. If I got a call, or went back and forth a bunch to FM, of course occasionally something might happen. But I can state it was excellent. Then that one week in 2016 it all went bad. Couldn’t make calls on Bluetooth properly, music, etc. After reading about the Infiniti service bulletin and IPhones, I got hold of the firmware DVD, and immediately things went back to normal, or near normal. My Q70 Bluetooth is no better or worse from a reliability perspective. It remains very antiquated at this point, but that’s another issue. Please ensure your dealer has the DVD or can get it. No downside.
Was this an updated firmware DVD? Flashing back to the same firmware version or lower would mean there was an issue with your car, not the iPhone. Without knowing all the parameters it's hard to say what happened but you didn't change anything with your phone and it went back to normal so I can't see how Apple is at fault here.

Mjkkb2 is right in that there is blame on both sides but I believe it's more so on Infiniti's side for not updating their hardware and software. Bluetooth and XM antenna's modules have been updated in the new Q70 (2015+) not because they wanted to, but because they had to. They didn't work properly from day one and despite the complaints from the original owners we were never offered replacements. Do a quick search of this forurm for bluetooth complaints and you'll see it's not just an iOS issue.

haleakalag

Summation:
1. 2011 M37 with perfect bluetooth for many years. Luck? Using older Iphones in those years? Who knows why so good?
2. IOS update to phone 2016, with first bluetooth problems ever that week
3. Firmware DVD done 2017- Uneventful, 10 minutes, with no issues whatsoever- Near perfect bluetooth until getting Q70 6 weeks ago

I would read the service memo that I posted earlier. If the 2012 M37 year/model applies, I would not hesitate to do firmware DVD. What are the alternatives?? Give up Iphones, get a new stereo. At least the firmware update offers hope, and worked in my case.

Davealan
Car: 2012 M Hybrid Black Obsidian & graphite w/ Deluxe Touring package

Hi my 2012 M35H has 2 Androids and 2 iPhones stored for Blue Tooth and the only issue I have is having to switch between them to keep teenagers happy! Whatever happened to "the person driving selects the music"??

My beef is the safety feature that requires the car to be going under 5 MPH in order to switch BT phones... If anyone knows of a hack I would be grateful as otherwise each departure starts 5 minutes past Dad's ETD!

Actually if I didn't I would be chauffeuring them around while they listened with earbuds. No more "when will we get there" questions because sadly there are no longer any conversations.

Dark_Knight
2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD

Why not just connect via USB and that way you have no issues with connecting and it charges at the same time?

satown210

In my case I don't have a reliable enough connection to make a phone call. Also, if I am using the phone the USB charging doesn't put out enough amps to keep the phone charged.

drwwalker
Car: Amada /maxima

I TRIED CONTACTING THE DEALER CALL THE 1800 NUMBER TO GET THE REPROGRAMING cd AND I HITTING A BRICK WALL I WAS TOLD AT THE DEALER THERE IS NOTHING AND THE NUBER GIVEN TO GET THE cd I WAS TOLD THEY DONT SEND TO CONSUMERS ONLY DEALERS ANY HELP IN THE MATTER WILL BE APPRECIATED

Viper33
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37S

I was able to order the navigation DVDs this summer which included a firmware update for the system. it seemed to immediately made a difference. However a few months later and the iphone is still having Bluetooth connection issues. I will try to disconnect and reconnect as both phone and audio device as described earlier and see what happens.

GMBQ70

Viper33 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:24 am
I was able to order the navigation DVDs this summer which included a firmware update for the system. it seemed to immediately made a difference. However a few months later and the iphone is still having Bluetooth connection issues. I will try to disconnect and reconnect as both phone and audio device as described earlier and see what happens.

Is your device an iPhone and are you wearing an Apple Watch? Having both devices in the car together could cause connection issues. If not- connecting as both phone and audio device should help.
Good luck

Viper33

Yes - iPhone + watch! Will try that thank you :)

Viper33

GMBQ70 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:50 am
Is your device an iPhone and are you wearing an Apple Watch? Having both devices in the car together could cause connection issues. If not- connecting as both phone and audio device should help.
Good luck
It worked :dblthumb: After almost zero Bluetooth iPhone connection ability for 5 years, and completely zero for the last several months, I set my Apple Watch series 1 to airplane mode. Turned off bluetooth in the iPhone and car, and both on again. Tested and the hands free link made an outgoing and incoming call with crystal clear sound. This watch is staying on airplane mode forever. Let’s hope this works in the long run! Thanks again for the tip!

Viper33

So this morning, despite my Apple Watch being on airplane mode since yesterday, the car wasn’t able to make calls. In fact the call link failed but sent the signal to the iPhone which made a call 20 seconds later. Which connected on a hands free setting that doesn’t work. So in order to have a conversation I had to put the iPhone on speaker mode. Horrible. However, I turned the iPhone and car Bluetooth off and on again and made 2 calls with no problem. (Note: the Infiniti “turn off Bluetooth” function takes 45-60 seconds to respond.) So I guess I will have to reset the Bluetooth connections every morning before driving. With my Apple watch in airplane mode. That’s my solution so far after 5 years of this. Next step: ITB12-054b if I can get a dealer to do it. If that doesn’t work, I guess we are looking at an expensive blue tooth equipment swap by the dealer?

Viper33 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:18 pm
GMBQ70 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:50 am
Good luck
It worked :dblthumb: After almost zero Bluetooth iPhone connection ability for 5 years, and completely zero for the last several months, I set my Apple Watch series 1 to airplane mode. Turned off bluetooth in the iPhone and car, and both on again. Tested and the hands free link made an outgoing and incoming call with crystal clear sound. This watch is staying on airplane mode forever. Let’s hope this works in the long run! Thanks again for the tip!

Viper33

Update: apparently Apple Watch airplane mode didn’t turn off Bluetooth. And i kept getting calls and texts on my watch during it being airplane mode. So found an Apple forum instructing how to make watch remember to keep Bluetooth off while in airplane mode. Hopefully the last failed attempt was because of this. Will update on next attempt to make or receive a call from the car.

Viper33 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:02 am
So this morning, despite my Apple Watch being on airplane mode since yesterday, the car wasn’t able to make calls. In fact the call link failed but sent the signal to the iPhone which made a call 20 seconds later. Which connected on a hands free setting that doesn’t work. So in order to have a conversation I had to put the iPhone on speaker mode. Horrible. However, I turned the iPhone and car Bluetooth off and on again and made 2 calls with no problem. (Note: the Infiniti “turn off Bluetooth” function takes 45-60 seconds to respond.) So I guess I will have to reset the Bluetooth connections every morning before driving. With my Apple watch in airplane mode. That’s my solution so far after 5 years of this. Next step: ITB12-054b if I can get a dealer to do it. If that doesn’t work, I guess we are looking at an expensive blue tooth equipment swap by the dealer?

Viper33 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:18 pm

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”