2011+ w/ Forest Air...anyone notice it working?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
User avatar
SteveTheTech
Posts: 4505
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:20 pm
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22
Location: Chantilly, Va
Contact:

2011+ w/ Forest Air...anyone notice it working?

Postby SteveTheTech » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:06 pm

So I have to admit I probably should have looked in to this a while back but I have not come across a problem until recently.

Long story short, I found out that the Aroma feature (more info Forest Air) default setting is set to Normal. I know of all the vehicles with the system I have seen in the last few years I have never noticed a menu option or addition of two new icons in the Forest Air information sub-menu.

I colleague of mine had his M37 in the shop today and I asked him if he had ever actually noticed the smells. He thought about it, and said he had not. This is his second M37 with the feature and he could not tell me a single time he ever noticed anything. I asked if he had any interest in an experiment. We changed the setting in the hvac computer to the higher setting. We will see what happens. Unfortunately you can only change these settings using the Nissan Consult computer.

My question to you all out in the real world is...

Have you ever actually noticed the aromas that are supposed to exist when the Forest Air system is functional.


Larz
Moderator
Posts: 3019
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:55 pm
Car: 2009 M35 RWD
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Contact:

Re: 2011+ w/ Forest Air...anyone notice it working?

Postby Larz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:14 pm

The only time I drove a model with forest air was in a loaner and all I could smell was the plastic / leather / new car aroma. I can't be certain, but I don't recall seeing those listed among the fragrances in this option. However, I'm sure it was working just fine and making a lovely impression inside the vehicle (wink wink).

zags
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:58 pm
Car: '09 M35s "all black everything"

Re: 2011+ w/ Forest Air...anyone notice it working?

Postby zags » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:52 pm

I seem to recall when I read a review of the Y51's, one of the things that perked my interest was the "Forest Air" thing, and from what I remember it was not a "smell or aroma" thing, it was the nature of the how the AC worked and blew the air...i.e. it was not a full steady/constant stream of air, but rather intermittent "gusts" of air...or something like that.

zags
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:58 pm
Car: '09 M35s "all black everything"

Re: 2011+ w/ Forest Air...anyone notice it working?

Postby zags » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:55 pm

I saw your link to the Forest Air, and yea sure enough I guess it is supposed to have a "scent"... but again, I seem to recall thinking it was hoaxy when i read the review that again, I recall was just about the "stream" of the air.

User avatar
SteveTheTech
Posts: 4505
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:20 pm
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22
Location: Chantilly, Va
Contact:

Re: 2011+ w/ Forest Air...anyone notice it working?

Postby SteveTheTech » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:05 pm

Honestly I have learned quiet a bit about the system. It is amazingly complex, people spent a lot of time building and complicating this system. It seems to know everything from the temperature and humidity level of the windshield and amount of "stink" detected under the steering wheel.

I too thought the Aroma was kind of a gimmick at first, but there is a canister and rubber tubing to the vents.

User avatar
Mjkkb2
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:37 am
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)
Location: Richmond VA

Re: 2011+ w/ Forest Air...anyone notice it working?

Postby Mjkkb2 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:15 am

I've never noticed any aroma. I was under the impression (like zags) that it didn't have to do with any aroma/smell, just the delivery of air to the cabin - until I read on these boards that in fact there should be an aroma component to the system. I bought the car with 23k miles on them so perhaps a new cabin filter would remedy the situation.

User avatar
Mjkkb2
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:37 am
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)
Location: Richmond VA

Re: 2011+ w/ Forest Air...anyone notice it working?

Postby Mjkkb2 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:23 am

SteveTheTech wrote:
I too thought the Aroma was kind of a gimmick at first, but there is a canister and rubber tubing to the vents.
IS there a way to get to this canister to refill it?

Larz
Moderator
Posts: 3019
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:55 pm
Car: 2009 M35 RWD
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Contact:

Re: 2011+ w/ Forest Air...anyone notice it working?

Postby Larz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:31 am

Here is the most detailed description I found:

Forest Air System is an umbrella term for several areas of technology, some new and some, such as the Plasmacluster* air purifier, building on proven Infiniti innovations. Instead of blasting air into occupants’ faces, the new M delivers a gentle breeze. Air from the instrument panel vents is modulated so it feels far more natural, making the whole cabin environment a more pleasant place to be. Humidity control plays a part in the Infiniti M’s always-fresh interior. Air-conditioners are good at taking all the humidity out, making interior air very dry. Forest Air System leaves a comfortable amount of moisture in the air, avoiding the dried-out feeling but without allowing the windows to fog up. The very precise humidity monitoring needed to achieve this is provided by exterior and interior sensors mounted at the top of the windshield. For all this to work depends on a first line of defense in keeping bad air out, and the 2011 Infiniti M will have it. Again the system relies heavily on sensors – not just to close the air intake when an odor outside is detected, but also to neutralize bad air already inside, such as tobacco smoke. Active control like this results in as oxygen-rich an interior as possible with low CO2 levels. Allergens are effectively kept out of the cabin by a new filter in the air-conditioning system. The filter’s fibers are impregnated with natural grape-seed polyphenol that brings a remarkable rise in efficiency. The effect of cedar pollen allergens, for example, is cut by 88 per cent compared to a regular filter. Another ingredient in the Forest Air System is Infiniti’s Plasmacluster air purifier. Now more powerful and sensitive than ever, its stream of high-density ions is able to decompose the smells that cling to interior trim, down to barely-detectable levels. Apart from this improved deodorizing function, the Plasmacluster is more effective now at inactivating bacteria, mold, viruses and allergens. With the Forest Air System, the all-new 2011 Infiniti M will demonstrate what Infiniti has always believed: that quality of air is a key factor in helping keep the driver stress-free and alert, and passengers comfortable and relaxed.

SmoovC
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:50 am
Car: '06 M45 Premium, Brakemotive, H-Techs, KYB's, USA-Spec PA15-INFI w/ BT streaming, Kuda cell mount, Magnaflow exhaust. (CAR SOLD)

Current: 2012 M56S, Harbour Blue, 4 pc Aero Kit
Location: WA State

Re: 2011+ w/ Forest Air...anyone notice it working?

Postby SmoovC » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:05 am

In answer to the OP's question: no, I have never noticed any aromas that are supposed to exist.

In reading the provided link, I came across this under the "Aroma" heading:

"The system utilizes a special interchangeable aroma cartridge (with a one-year life) to produce the forest effect."

I cannot recall seeing this maintenance item mentioned in either the Owner's manual, or the maintenance schedule. I do recall seeing required maintenance intervals on the cabin air filter.

SteveTheTech: can you shed any light on this? Location, part numbers, cost?

All in all, the system is pretty impressive, and IMO works quite well with little or no driver interaction.

beachbum718
Posts: 320
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:57 pm
Car: M37s

Re: 2011+ w/ Forest Air...anyone notice it working?

Postby beachbum718 » Wed May 06, 2015 6:52 pm

I notice fresh clean cool air.no scent.I've only used it on highway driving in upstate ny.to get the stuffy feeling out of the car

Frog
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:59 pm
Car: 2011 M56s

Re: 2011+ w/ Forest Air...anyone notice it working?

Postby Frog » Wed May 06, 2015 8:43 pm

Then actual sent cartridge is only available in overseas models. The USA version they left out the sent cartridge. There was a threat a while ago were some guy bought a scent cartridge from Japan. He tried to install it in his USA model M but he was still missing too many items to make it work.

hemachayart
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:53 pm

Re: 2011+ w/ Forest Air...anyone notice it working?

Postby hemachayart » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:58 am

Is Aroma function enable in AUTO Amp module?

Viper33
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:21 pm
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37S

Re: 2011+ w/ Forest Air...anyone notice it working?

Postby Viper33 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:56 pm

I just posted this in the other Forest Air - Aroma Cartridge thread. Thanks again:

UPDATE: you were absolutely correct.

Previously: I’ve been very interested in getting this unit to work as I understand a tonne of research went into this technology of Forest Air including the Aroma cartridge woody leafy scent which is said to “aid mental clarity and focus while driving.” Who doesn’t want that? According to NISSAN, I guess, no one in North America.

I searched online overseas and found the entire LHD aroma unit assembly (27457-1MA1A Stick Aroma Assy) brand new (with B7DEF-1ME0A Aroma Stick included) which replaced the dummy unit and fit like a glove without having to transplant any parts. I also reconnected the hoses to the new unit and found the electrical harness that was tucked away and plugged it in. I also purchased a premium grapeseed polyphenol cabin filter (27277-1ME0C) on eBay and installed that as well. I still couldn’t sense any fresh smell (expected woody leafy scent). After reading as much as I could find, and some forum replies I knew I needed to get into a Nissan consult dashboard to see if there was some sort of HVAC flowchart like (HVAC—>Forest Air—>Aroma—> Enable)to enable this.

Fast forward to present day:

Today I took the car to a friend at NISSAN. He used the Nissan Consult Tool and found in HVAC Settings that the Aroma Cartridge setting was set to “WITHOUT” (as expected for North American models that just have the dummy unit without Aroma cartridge). We set it to “WITH” and then set to “HIGH” versus “NORMAL”

Great Success :gapteeth:

Maybe it’s placebo but I already feel like I can smell the fresh air scent. Let’s see how it goes for a week. Thanks for all the input in the forums and YouTube videos.

Cheers to mental focus and clarity :biggrin:
hemachayart wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:58 am
Is Aroma function enable in AUTO Amp module?

Viper33
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:21 pm
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37S

Re: 2011+ w/ Forest Air...anyone notice it working?

Postby Viper33 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:53 am

Mission accomplished :biggrin:
777119F2-CC76-4B28-A4F3-4C6B7C77A3A8.jpeg
Aroma ON
Viper33 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:56 pm
I just posted this in the other Forest Air - Aroma Cartridge thread. Thanks again:

UPDATE: you were absolutely correct.

Previously: I’ve been very interested in getting this unit to work as I understand a tonne of research went into this technology of Forest Air including the Aroma cartridge woody leafy scent which is said to “aid mental clarity and focus while driving.” Who doesn’t want that? According to NISSAN, I guess, no one in North America.

I searched online overseas and found the entire LHD aroma unit assembly (27457-1MA1A Stick Aroma Assy) brand new (with B7DEF-1ME0A Aroma Stick included) which replaced the dummy unit and fit like a glove without having to transplant any parts. I also reconnected the hoses to the new unit and found the electrical harness that was tucked away and plugged it in. I also purchased a premium grapeseed polyphenol cabin filter (27277-1ME0C) on eBay and installed that as well. I still couldn’t sense any fresh smell (expected woody leafy scent). After reading as much as I could find, and some forum replies I knew I needed to get into a Nissan consult dashboard to see if there was some sort of HVAC flowchart like (HVAC—>Forest Air—>Aroma—> Enable)to enable this.

Fast forward to present day:

Today I took the car to a friend at NISSAN. He used the Nissan Consult Tool and found in HVAC Settings that the Aroma Cartridge setting was set to “WITHOUT” (as expected for North American models that just have the dummy unit without Aroma cartridge). We set it to “WITH” and then set to “HIGH” versus “NORMAL”

Great Success :gapteeth:

Maybe it’s placebo but I already feel like I can smell the fresh air scent. Let’s see how it goes for a week. Thanks for all the input in the forums and YouTube videos.

Cheers to mental focus and clarity :biggrin:
hemachayart wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:58 am
Is Aroma function enable in AUTO Amp module?


Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”