2011 Rogue Vibration Under Load

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
FlashFyre
Car: 2011 Rogue SL AWD

I've been getting a vibration which can be felt in the steering wheel from 40-65km/h. It is not present below or above those speeds. Most noticeable when accelerating between 40-65km/h.

I had a look underneath. When move the driver wheel back and forth, I noticed the trans is moving a bit. The rear torque strut mount is definitely toast.

Should I change out the LH engine mount as well?

My guess is that if the rear torque strut mount is toast. The engine mount at the transmission likely is as well.

175,000kms on the odo.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

With that kind of mileage there's a real good chance all the mounts are bad. They often fail in a cascade because the first broken one puts additional stress on the others, which are already similarly weak with old age. They become a set of falling dominoes. If you were my customer, my advice would be a whole set.

FlashFyre

Update:

Never changed out the trans mount. I was getting conflicting symptoms. Changed out the pass LCA as the ball joint was toast but it didnt fix the vibrations. I was getting significant vibrations now when coasting.

Ends up the drive shaft u joints were toast. I've removed it and its driving so smooth again. I'll replace it before next winter.

C-ya
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Thanks for the follow-up. Good to know more things to be on the lookout for with my daughter's car.

Iheartjeeps
Car: 1995 Nissan 300ZX Z32
2015 Nissan Frontier Pro4x
2014 Nissan Rogue Paperweight

FlashFyre wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:58 pm
Update:

Never changed out the trans mount. I was getting conflicting symptoms. Changed out the pass LCA as the ball joint was toast but it didnt fix the vibrations. I was getting significant vibrations now when coasting.

Ends up the drive shaft u joints were toast. I've removed it and its driving so smooth again. I'll replace it before next winter.

did you get any lights on the dash from removing the rear driveshaft? it drives just fine?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Iheartjeeps wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:17 am
did you get any lights on the dash from removing the rear driveshaft? it drives just fine?
You shouldn't, there are no rotation sensors back there besides the ABS and those aren't affected by removing the shaft. I'm just a bit puzzled that the OP was primarily feeling it in the wheel. Usually problems in the shaft or coupling are felt in the seat of the pants, or pants and wheel both.

Iheartjeeps

Thats good to hear Vstar, might pull it and as I have an odd vibration every now and then that happens under 1/2 throttle from a stop and this could be the reason why....front end is nice and tight.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Iheartjeeps wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:42 am
Thats good to hear Vstar, might pull it and as I have an odd vibration every now and then that happens under 1/2 throttle from a stop and this could be the reason why....front end is nice and tight.
Sounds likely. Dropping the shaft is the acid test, that's exactly what we do when we suspect a problem in the shaft or coupling. If it goes away with the shaft removed, that's a smoking gun.

FlashFyre

Iheartjeeps wrote:
FlashFyre wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:58 pm
Update:

Nope. Drives beautiful now.

FlashFyre

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:30 am
Iheartjeeps wrote:
You shouldn't, there are no rotation sensors back there besides the ABS and those aren't affected by removing the shaft. I'm just a bit puzzled that the OP was primarily feeling it in the wheel. Usually problems in the shaft or coupling are felt in the seat of the pants, or pants and wheel both.
Thats what puzzled me as well. I keep on looking at items in the front end. Had a quick check of the front u joint and it appeared fine.

Once I removed the drive shaft the back u joint was seized in one direction. The front u joint was starting to go as well.

Iheartjeeps

V star correct if wrong but I'm assuming the u joints in the driveshaft are not serviceable?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

They're crimped, no C-clips. You can make them serviceable with some hard work and modification (there's at least one good YouTube out there about how to do it), but it isn't a job for the underequipped or the faint-hearted. Most folks just buy a new shaft.

Return to “Rogue Forum”