2011 Rogue P1777 replaced stepper, no reverse when warmed up

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
eternalphoenix64
Car: 2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4 V6

I replaced the stepper motor on my wife's 2011 Rogue.

Symptoms:

General: Pretty sure I overfilled it. Bought 9 quarts and I think there was more residual than I anticipated and I think I'm at least a quart over.

Cold:
A.... sound.... that seems to come from transmission. Like a clicking/grinding. It's hard to describe.
Reverse takes 5+ seconds to engage (haven't timed it, but long enough to be noticeably abnormal), possibly even requires goosing the engine to get it to engage. I haven't tested enough to FULLY say if that's the case.

Hot:
Sound goes away.
Reverse is completely gone

When I pulled the valve body the first time, I did accidentally, in my unfamiliarity, separate the valve body, but I found a video where I could see where the ball bearings belonged and made sure they were in the right place before closing everything back up.

I didn't know there was a hole for holding the position of the plunger arm off the stepper motor, so I wrapped the valve body with blue painter's tape to hold it in place and the tape came off in a single piece (no threat of debris).

The one question mark I DO have, is whether or not the little rubber seal on the protrusion on top of the valve body (ZERO idea what it's called) stayed in place during installation.

My current plan is to get the fluid level correct, then try again, but if that doesn't work, I have no clue what might be wrong and would appreciate some insight.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Stop Wasting Money on Jatco CVT Stepper Motors

If you have code P1777, you need to check the connectors, wiring, and the stepper motor windings. The resistance check would be a good start, or you could also perform the same test at the TCM. Just pull up a wiring diagram to get the pin numbers.

The next Jatco CVT you get in with a stepper motor code, think twice before replacing the stepper motor. First figure out whether the code you have indicates a wiring issue or internal transmission problem.
P1777 NISSAN - Step Motor Circuit
P1777 Possible Causes
  • Faulty Step Motor
  • Step Motor harness is open or shorted
  • Step Motor poor electrical connection

eternalphoenix64

Got the valve body out and just want to be 100% certain I get the correct stepper motor. 2011 Rogue AWD CVT. Getting real tired of this car sitting around doing a fat lot of nothing.

On the side of the valve body is stamped J10Z28

Everything I try to look up shows something like JF011E, so I'm either looking up the wrong stuff, using the wrong data, or barking up the wrong tree entirely. Help! Please and thank you.
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged

eternalphoenix64

Rogue One wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:01 am
Stop Wasting Money on Jatco CVT Stepper Motors

If you have code P1777, you need to check the connectors, wiring, and the stepper motor windings. The resistance check would be a good start, or you could also perform the same test at the TCM. Just pull up a wiring diagram to get the pin numbers.

The next Jatco CVT you get in with a stepper motor code, think twice before replacing the stepper motor. First figure out whether the code you have indicates a wiring issue or internal transmission problem.
P1777 NISSAN - Step Motor Circuit
P1777 Possible Causes
  • Faulty Step Motor
  • Step Motor harness is open or shorted
  • Step Motor poor electrical connection

To be blunt and honest..... that's why I'm here.... I went through that already. I had resistances closer to 13/26 ohm. So it would be great to get helpful information that actually answers the questions asked, rather than being directed to a URL that has absolutely zero information related to the problem of not having reverse specifically when heated up. I have a hunch I bought the wrong replacement part (perhaps a different ratio for the steps?) or that the lip seal was not properly seated.

So having a part number that I can compare with, or a resource to verify, would be 1000x more helpful than the URLs presented already.

eternalphoenix64

Going to zombify the thread.

I don't remember where I found it, but I did finally figure out the correct part number for the stepper motor.

Once I had that in, the car ran and drove and we immediately took it to CarMax. Got nearly as much as we paid for it, do that was a win.

Never touching another Rogue ever again.

Return to “Rogue Forum”