2011 Rogue ECU/PCM replacement?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ord32
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue

Hello all, new to the forum here and looking for some help with a problem I'm having. My wife has a 2011 Rogue and the other day while she was out and about it wouldn't start up for her. I went to meet her to check if there was anything I could do, but eventually had to have it towed home. Once home I started diagnosing it since I'm a bit mechanically inclined and typically work on my own cars. First thing I did was hook up the OBD2, and for some reason it wouldn't read. I know it worked previously, so immediately I'm thinking, "don't tell me it's the ECU."

I proceed to break out the Haynes manual for more troubleshooting and get to the ignition section. I determined that I was getting no spark on two cylinders, which the Haynes manual says is, "An ECU problem beyond the scope of this book and to take the car to a qualified mechanic." Anyway, just to confirm I had it towed a dealer, and some diagnostics later they determined the same thing.

Now here are my questions:

1. If I got a used ECM would it work? I ask this because another person on this forum stated they couldn't get a used one to work on their car.
2. If I were to get a used ECM/PCM from the same year and model what would I need to have reprogrammed? I'd most likely take it to a shop or dealer to do the reprogramming. I just wan't to know if I'd have to have anything re-programmed at all really. I.e. the intelligent key system, etc.

Only reason I want to go the used route is that they're trying to charge $1500 to put in a new ECU, when I know I can get at used one for $100 and do it myself.

Thanks for any insight.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Installing an ECU yourself is pretty easy. This guide lists the proper way to install and reset an ECU when your car does NOT have an immobilizer. If your car has an immobilizer and you have a chipped key, this method will not work for you.

First you have to make sure the ECU you are about to install has the same Manufacturer's Part Number as the ECU that was originally running the car. If the part numbers match, follow these steps:
  1. Unplug the battery from the car
  2. Let the car sit for fifteen (15) minutes unplugged.
  3. Install the new ECU
  4. Reconnect the battery
  5. Turn the key to AUXILIARY (or RUN) position (ignition half way to where all the lights come on - at this point the "Check Engine" light needs to be ON... if it's on then the ECU is in working condition).
  6. Let sit for another five (5) minutes
  7. Turn off the car
  8. Turn the ignition, car should start right away.
NOTE: Cars that have an immobilizer (usually dated 2000 and up) will still need to be reprogrammed by a locksmith, dealer, or licensed mechanic. If your car is dated 2000 and up and you are installing the ECU yourself, this guide might save you reprogramming. However, if you try the ignition and the car does not start it means the unit is VIN specific and will need to be reprogrammed. (Car's that need to be reprogrammed in this way will act like the battery is completely dead... they won't crank. Sometimes the "Anti-Theft" light will blink on the dash.

pooya
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue

Many years later. How did you fix this? dealership?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

First thing to check with a non-communicating ECM is the ECM fuse. It's under hood in the IPDM, not in the cabin. Usually labeled "ENG CONTROL". If that fuse is good and has power, pull up the wiring diagram and check the output wires coming out of the IPDM from the ECM Relay. If those have power then it may be a bad ECM, otherwise it's a bad IPDM.

Return to “Rogue Forum”