2011 QX56, not new topic but advice needed

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
bdh075

Hello I'm new to this forum from the Q45 forum. Q45 got crushed from behind by a F-150 so I decided to get a QX. Looking at a 11 with 123K on it. Any advice on what I should look for before dropping the money? I want to take it into the Infiniti dealer but small car lots seem to be afraid they will rate the car down so I'll buy one from them. I see the airbag recall is still open but I don't know how to check if timing chain and cats have been replaced under recall. BUT back to my initial question, anything that should stick out as abnormal that I'd be able to tell? Any particular issues I should look for? The one I'm possibly buying is not at Infiniti but an independent used car lot. :ohno:

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Regarding the recalls; Get the VIN and enter that number at https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls to check for any unrepaired recalls. As for the overall condition of the '11 QX56 you are looking at, ask for a CARFAX Vehicle History Report and any service maintenance documentation that may exist. These two things are the most basic forms of vehicle history one could ask for and any reputable independent or franchise dealer should provide, even without asking for it. Adhering to preventative maintenance schedules are critical to the life expectancy of any vehicle. Going above and beyond the manufacturer's recommended scheduled maintenance requirements will assure an even longer lifespan. This brings me to my biggest pet peeve. For the '11 QX56 and many other vehicles produced in the past 15 years or so, their is no recommended maintenance for the automatic transmission. It is a sealed system. The ATF that was poured into the transmission when the vehicle was built was expected to last the life of the vehicle. This "life" is guarantied by the original power train warranty but that 6yr/70K mile warranty is long past expiration. There is nothing magical about the ATF that was added when the vehicle was built. The transmission itself was built with higher reliability, able to perform longer without wearing out even though the ATF has degraded over this guarantied lifespan. I can guaranty you now, that the ATF in that '11 QX56 is long overdue for a change, if it has never been changed, and the transmission is already starting to wear out due to the lack of adequate lubrication. If you do find that this QX56 drives well and it does not seem like the transmission is slipping under load, like quick accelerations and driving uphill, and you do decide to purchase it, I recommended you get the transmission ATF changed right away. This transmission should last at least another 125K miles but not if you fail to change the ATF at least every 50K miles. Typically, vehicles without "maintenance free" transmissions have recommended scheduled ATF changes every 35K miles.

bdh075

Thanks, I didn't buy it. The transmission was shuddering and RPMs bouncing. The body was in good shape overall. The interior too except for some minor cracks in the dash. He did not have headphones(verify the screens work), remote for TVs, owners manual. 1 key and a nasty attitude. Didn't even offer a carfax or autocheck, just kept telling me it check out good. I'd prev told him I need a pre-purchase inspection prior to purchase. 10min into the test drive he calls and ask me where was I. That did it. I'm not about to have over dbl digit cash and you calling me 10mins into a test drive. my $14k is worth more than 10min. I turned around and told him I would pass. I'll keep my eyes open for another one. I'm anxious but not desperate. Definitely an auction car with some abuse. the 22" rims had what looked like mildew and lots of spots that looked bad.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”