2011 QX56 Electrical Problem

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
amanisofia
Car: 2011 Infiniti QX 56

I have a 2011 QX56 with 12000 miles that has left me stranded.

The problem began two weeks ago. When I got into my car there was no power whatsoever to the car, (no interior lights, just like a dead battery). After waiting a few minutes without doing anything other then exiting the car, the power was back and the car started. I did notice that all the settings (ac, seat position) had been reset.

Hoped it was a fluke but it happened again one week later. Exact same problem except this time it had no power for about 10 minutes. Then for no reason the power returned and it started. Again all the settings were reset. I took the car to the infiniti dealer and they kept it for a day. They were of course unable to duplicate the problem so they could not fix it. They contacted infiniti and were told no one else has this problem.

Well three days later my car is dead in a parking lot. Again no power what so ever. This time it wont restart. Had to get it towed back to the dealer. This was on Saturday evening. They are going to look at it on Monday. For all you inifiniti owners if your car dies it is very hard to tow, due to lack of a true keyed ignition. We were unable to release the shift lock (as shown in the manual) so they had to drag the car onto the bed of the tow truck.

Hopefully they find out what is wrong with this car. I am very disappointed in my first infiniti. A new car should not leave you stranded. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem as I am sure I will not be the only one. I did see that the Nissan Patrol had a recall for some electrical issue but it was not suppose to affect the QX56.

Monday Update :
The dealer got a chance to look at this morning. When they got into it this morning everything in the car was working and it started (they did not have to do anything to it). They were hoping it would not be working so they could diagnose it. With everything working they cannot diagnose it.
I think this phantom electrical problem is probably caused by some fancy electronic module in the car. I am really frustrated, hope I am not the owner of a $60,000 lemon. I do not want to pick the car up and have the problem happen again.

Someone out there must have this problem occurring, or I am the first unlucky owner.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Ugh. That's not good.

Is it not throwing any codes?

I'll do some research, but that's a weird one for sure.

amanisofia

The dealer said no codes showed up. They also contacted Infiniti technical support and they had no idea either. I agree with you "Ugh that's not good".

I am sure it is some electronics issue. Thanks for the help

2011QX56

How far were you from the Infiniti dealership when this problem occurred?
It may be better to have them come to you with a loaner car instead of having the QX towed.

Even if they can't duplicate the problem, I would not accept a car that has repeatedly failed to start. They should keep it until they can determine what could have caused this.

amanisofia

I don't know how it would help if they came to where the car was. Unless they come with all their diagnostic tools it would not help. The car was towed to them and at that time it was still dead. When it rolled off the tow truck bed into their lot it was still dead. They were about a 15 minute drive away. It was on a late Saturday afternoon and by the time the car got there the service department was closed. It had to sit there till Monday and at that time it started up fine.

I agree with you I would not accept a car that repeatedly failed to start. However it is my car and I have paid most of it off. Yes they could give me a loaner, the only have sedans to loan. I want an suv because that is what I paid for. No offense to the service technicians but until a service bulletin comes out about this I don't think they are going to diagnose it. I am sure others will have this issue and then it will be solved.

Even though I have only owned the car for 8 months, I am beyond the mileage to invoke the lemon law. I am being very inconvenienced by a brand new and expensive car.

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

Certainly what is the most frustrating is that they cannot figure out the source of the problem! Please keep us posted on the outcome, hopefully they find out what the issue is. GOOD LUCK!

amanisofia

Update on this problem :

The dealer kept my car for two weeks and was unable to duplicate this problem. They had been in contact with Infinti tech support through out this time. They did notice that the analog clock was three hours behind of the digital clock and that the heat warmers were activated even though they were not turned on.

As advised I did call Infiniti consumer affairs. This was not much help, it sounded like you were talking to some call center where they were just reading from a script.

The dealer did finally get Infiniti to agree to swap out the BCM (body control module) from a demo vehicle and install it in my car. That's right they were taking the part out of another car and putting it in my car. Infiniti would not pay for a new part since the problem could not be duplicated. It is almost as if they do not believe me when I am telling them what is happening to my car.

The dealer has been nice throughout this ordeal and I cannot blame them. I understand they cannot do anything without Infiniti's approval. However I am totally disappointed by how Infiniti is handling this issue. They had a potential to have a loyal customer, instead this will be my first and last Infiniti purchase.
I hope no one else has to experience this problem with their qx, it is a total nightmare.

If my car fails again I will tow it back to the dealer and will have to involve a lawyer to help enforce the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Again I am totally shocked and disappointed in Infiniti.

After doing my own research I have found that both the Nissan Patrol and Infiniti QX have been recalled in the middle east for a problem with the BCM.

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

Hmmm, interesting, sorry to hear about the problems. One thing I can say it is difficult for Infiniti to call the shots on things. They rely on the dealer to diagnose and take care of any problems, and that is truly how their system is set up, and I can understand why. That does stink that you without your vehicle for two weeks, but hopefully with a new BCM your problems will be gone. Keep us posted!

Rob G

I have a 2011 Qx 56 with 4300 miles I purchased in may. Yesterday I pulled out onto a major street and as soon as I made the turn I lost all power to the car. The car was running however when I pushed on gas there was nothing there. On the dash it said I was in 4x4 low and I was not. The gauges were all going haywire. I turned the vehicle off, while sitting in the middle of the road stopping traffic, then I restarted it a minute later and the car then drove normal but the check engine light was on. Just flabbergasted, I drove to the dealership this morning and they put me in a G 37 that I barely fit into and assured me the car would be fixed in just a couple of hours. They called me 6 hrs later and were baffled by the situation and said my entire computer went out and they were going to have to talk to someone further up the ladder to see what they were going to do because they had never seen this before. I can't believe I pay 67k for a vehicle that had broke down at such low mileage. Infinity is a joke, this was my first one and I will def be going to Mercedes after this circus act. I will update you with their response Tom. I have a feeling we are soon going to be seeing a lot of recalls.
Rob

amanisofia

SInce my BCM module was replaced I have not had any problems with the car (lets hope it stays like that). Nothing makes you happier then a 65k brand new car stranding you. I hope they do not give you the run around about fixing it. I guess if it is broken while it is at the dealer you should have no problem getting it fixed. I agree about this being the first and last inifinti. I will probably unload this one before the warranty expires, those electronic components are very expensive to fix if not covered by warranty.

Hoshtaylor
Car: 2011 Infiniti QX56 4WD

This MAY be completely off topic...but I've been working with Fujita for 8 months now with a prototype Cold Air Intake. I have to unplug the negative terminal on the battery because after every day or two because my "Service Engine Soon" light would come on. They told me that they had the same issue with a 2011 FX and that Infiniti is using different air flow sensors for the newer models...but now I'm starting to wonder if it's maybe the electrical system ??? They are putting my stock airbox back on this morning while they finish the final product which will take another 3-5 weeks...so I guess I'll see if the light keeps coming on or not with the stock air box back on.

Thought I would share in case these are some how related...

bellahern
Car: 2011 Q56 Infiniti

Your not alone!! I had the same EXACT situation happen to me. First time it didn't turn on I had just pumped gas... It really freaked me out as I was in my pjs! It strated after a few minutes of my frenzy attack!

One week later, today, after a late lunch with my family at Longhorn Steak House my Q56 did the exact same... Did not start! At temperatures of 100+ that was NOT fun. I figured after a few minutes it would start but it didn't. My kids had to go back inside and wait there for me. The waiters all came out as if I was in some tragic situation. Some were rude and laughed at comments they made amongst each other at the epic failure of owning such an expensive "NEW" car!

I turned every color and flooded my clothes in sweat as I did NOT want to give up on my "NEW" car. I rea the manual over an over on the topics such as "Door Lock" and "Ignition locks/kill switch." Nothing worked.

When I first tried to start it a thumping noise came from under my seat, the drivers seat. It also seemed to show the key icon flashing, on the display dash panel... I opened the door and closed it again... Relentlessly and to no avail! I was in that car 45 minutes thinking it was magical method that locked the ignition switch! Even if it was some magical steps I need to take in a case like this... It is absolute SHAME to have to endure such a situation. I am so Disappointed having this new car and Beig left STRANDED with my kids mid under the scorching SUN. Mind you on a Sunday?! Who do I call, what do I do?! I called my husband and my mother... Both arrived minutes from each other... I handed the key to my husband in a wet suit as tears of discontentment flooded my eyes. I jumped into my mothers car and said Nothing As She drove us home. My kids smiling at me with blushed cheeks from the heat glared at me wide eyed.

Isn't this the very reason someone pays TOP dollar for vehicles such as these?! My Sunday plans are ruined... This is a result of a situation I had NO control over... This is a DAY I will never live again... Who is responsible to reimburse me for such a HORRIBLE experience?

It is simply UNREAL, UNJUST and simply unacceptable.

~Bella

bellahern
Car: 2011 Q56 Infiniti

Yes... My Q56 is a 2011. I bought it in October last year. It now has 12,000 miles. To me it is still a NEW car... One I pay a pretty penny for every month to be in this situation!

marctronixx

this sounds like the IPDM or Intelligent Power Distribution Module. its a relay that lives in the ECM in the engine room. the armada and titan all had this happen to owners.

uudd
Car: 2011 qx56

oct 27, 20012 8:30 pm In parking garage 2 stories down. 2011 qx56 wont recognize key fob...take taxi home get 2nd fob, return via taxi, same result "no key". called infinity roadside. "we only tow to nearest dealership'. my wife and I are stuck. no tow truck could reach us in the 2nd story basement and the garage layout was too tight for a tow anyway. took a taxi home. I don't trust the vehicle, especially in a parking garage. next day I come back and truck started. got me! going to dealer tomorrow. anyone?

marctronixx

when it showed "no key" did you place the fob right up on the push button? this should re-establish a handshake with the FOB and the car.

keeping your fob in your pocket next to a mobile phone (GSM phones especially) will cause the battery in the FOB to run down and could also cause issues INSIDE the car.

not much else I can suggest since I am not there with the car. could have even been local interference around the car and not necessarily the fob or the car was the issue. radio freqs can cause issues with this system since it also uses RF freqs. its a Class B (FCC) system ( if memory serves) so it must accept interference from nearby objects.

uudd
Car: 2011 qx56

Thanks for the info. I recently moved to a building that has proximity "keys" for entrance to parking and elevator access. These constantly emmit radio waves, What do you think?

marctronixx

its quite possible. the manual (or service manual) kinda speaks about this a bit. if the signals are just at the right freq, they could confuse the IK (intelligent Key) system. the antenna for the IK system is in the dash around the push button start area.

the key fobs send out signals every so often to latch into the cars IK system, and if there is some strong interference, they can miss the handshake. so next time, try and put the fob on top of the push button as this will re-connect the fob to the system.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Rob G wrote:I have a 2011 Qx 56 with 4300 miles I purchased in may. Yesterday I pulled out onto a major street and as soon as I made the turn I lost all power to the car. The car was running however when I pushed on gas there was nothing there. On the dash it said I was in 4x4 low and I was not. The gauges were all going haywire. I turned the vehicle off, while sitting in the middle of the road stopping traffic, then I restarted it a minute later and the car then drove normal but the check engine light was on. Just flabbergasted, I drove to the dealership this morning and they put me in a G 37 that I barely fit into and assured me the car would be fixed in just a couple of hours. They called me 6 hrs later and were baffled by the situation and said my entire computer went out and they were going to have to talk to someone further up the ladder to see what they were going to do because they had never seen this before. I can't believe I pay 67k for a vehicle that had broke down at such low mileage. Infinity is a joke, this was my first one and I will def be going to Mercedes after this circus act. I will update you with their response Tom. I have a feeling we are soon going to be seeing a lot of recalls.
Rob
That is pretty serious. Losing the ability to accelerate, stop, or steer is considered a very high severity issue (and usually the NHTSA gets involved).

I wonder if your QX was built around the time that Thailand was flooded in 2011, or when Infiniti was sourcing new ECUs from other non-thai companies (lots of ECUs come from Thailand). The ECU itself should have had a serial number or date code on it, but I'm guessing that's long gone now. In any case, they shouldn't have to "go up the ladder". It should either be immediately repaired or a suitable loaner be provided. This isn't a Geo dealership, this is premium luxury (for which you pay a premium for).

krisK
Car: Infinity qx56

I purchased a QX56 in march 2010 new. By around October the same year I had to have the battery replaced because it kept dying. Now 2 years later the same thing has happened, dead battery twice within a span of 4 days. I took it into the dealer and they said the battery was fine and would not replace it. They suggested that our "cold" Florida weather was likely the problem (I keep it in a garage that stays pretty warm!!) or that I am leaving the key fob in the car (which I hardly ever do). I have had problems in the past where the dash controls go haywire and I do remember having to shut off the car once in traffic and restart it to get things back in working order. I should've brought that up today at the dealer but only thought of it after seeing some of your posts about similar things happening. I have also noted that when I am parked at an ATM or drive thru window the car eases forward on its own slightly. Also, was able to watch a DVD on the map display while in park a couple of days ago and this has never happened before. Has anyone had similar issues? Maybe it is a bad DVD player issue? I keep dvd's in the player when stopped so I wonder if it is possibly still playing even when the car is shut off and draining the battery???

marctronixx

do you have a 2011+ QX or 2010 and earlier?

You could have BCM issues. The BCM is the Body Control Module. It monitors a lot of the hardware on the car (door locks, steering wheel angle, G sensor angle, alarm, ignition state [on,off,acc] etc.) and there could be a component in the chain that is sending a false reading to the BCM that could be causing your issues.

were nissan/infiniti able to pull any DTCs from the car?

oleglev
Car: 2011 QX56

I have same issue with my car they replace battery a month ago after telling me that my battery is fine after about a year of my complains. they couldn't replicate issue. I believe this electrical issue and they reset my computer a few dozen time. Car spend at dealership over month without being fixed.

John31324
Car: 2011 Infiniti QX56

I've been having the same issue four three years. All three times go to crank care bs act like a dead battery. Dealership said something "can't find anything wrong with it". Well it happen again today and I notice the alternator voltage going down and up. I told dealership about this and said they can't find anything wrong with alternator. Hmmmm. Did you find a fix for yours?

Kboakye87
Car: 2011 Infiniti m37x

Hi all,

This issue has happened twice in the past week. I bought a used 2011 m37x from Kansas and got it delivered to MA last Wednesday evening. Car would not start Thursday morning then magically started after about 30 min. Saturday morning, the same issue. Had it towed to Infiniti Tues. The car has been starting up for them wth no problem. They originally thought the issue was the starter but there is now a code that's hard wired into the car's computer which shows as the car not recognizing the key. This can cause the car to not start because the car doesn't recognize there's a key around and thinks it's trying to be stolen. The body control module would need to be replaced and the keys reprogrammed. Thankfully the dealsership I bought it from will be covering the cost.

NDDavo
Car: QX56 2nd Gen

John31324 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2015 4:40 pm
I've been having the same issue four three years. All three times go to crank care bs act like a dead battery. Dealership said something "can't find anything wrong with it". Well it happen again today and I notice the alternator voltage going down and up. I told dealership about this and said they can't find anything wrong with alternator. Hmmmm. Did you find a fix for yours?
Hey Sir, I know this is an old post but I'm having the exact same issue, did you have any luck finding a fix? Old now new battery, tester reads 14.12-14.04V with engine running but battery constantly below where it should be with engine off, 12.19-12-27V. Cleaned terminals, tried both keys, it's just so sporadic, when it comes up it's often been running and tries to crank but just won't turn over much if at all.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”