2011 Nissan Versa AC hiss after repair

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
everfrost
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa 1.6L

Hey folks! Not sure that I've ever posted before, but I have been a frequent reader of this forum and hope you can help. I've searched through past posts and online, but can't find anything specific to my issue with the Versa. If I've missed a post somewhere, I apologize in advance, and would be grateful for a link to that thread.

So, starting at the beginning. I was having issues with the AC in my Versa and had dye leaking from my evaporator drain, so long story short, I had my evaporator core and expansion valve replaced. Had the system vacuumed and charged per manufacturer spec (0.99lb according to sticker on hood) at local auto repair shop. Car is cooling well with no leaks, but...

Since having this repair, every time the compressor engages I hear this hiss from under the dash (in the area of the evaporator core). It usually lasts only a few seconds, but may linger a few more than a few. I've read online that this may be a normal sound, albeit annoying, as refrigerant rushes into the evaporator core. However, this noise simply wasn't present for the years before this repair, so I'm wondering what the issue may be.

Also, it seems like the compressor is still cycling too often. When driving, it seems like the compressor will cycle on for around 15 seconds, then cycle off for around 15 seconds, then repeat indefinitely (which means I hear the hiss every 15 seconds indefinitely). This seems to be the case regardless of ambient temperature and humidity conditions, although it may be slightly longer between cycles when cooler. I feel a very significant engine drag when the compressor engages, and subsequent return to power when it disengages. Again, I understand some engine drag to be normal when the compressor engages, but it happening every 15 seconds isn't something that I have noticed in the years before this repair.

So, I took it back to the mechanic and related my issues...The reassessed the lines and found no leaks, so they evacuated, vacuumed, and recharged the system per spec. No change in any of the items I have mentioned though...

So with refrigerant at the proper level per spec, new evaporator core, and new expansion valve...where should I be looking? :wtf2:

Thanks in advance!

Chad

everfrost

So as a follow up with the timing and such, I was wrong in my original post...Paying more attention, here is what's really happening:

Compressor kicks on (along with hiss sound) and runs for about 5 seconds.
Compressor kicks off (hiss sound stop) for about 8 to 10 seconds.
Continually repeats as long as AC is on, regardless of recirc or outside air, regardless of vent, defrost, floor setting.

everfrost

Pressure readings....

At idle, high pressure stays around 200-225 psi, low pressure stays around 30 psi with compressor engaged and cycling what I would call normally (fairly lengthy amount of time between cycles).

With any RPMs above idle on the engine, the high pressure remains 200-225 psi, but as soon as the compressor kicks in the low pressure drops immediately to 5 psi or lower for around 8 seconds then the compressor cuts off and pressures return to 220/30 for about 8 seconds then compressor kicks back in and drops low side to 5 psi for 8 seconds...repeats indefinitely as long as engine is not idling.

Any ideas?

Return to “Versa General Chat”