2011 nissan sentra jerking only when driving in the snow

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
Anastasia2021
Car: 2011 Nissan Sentra

I have been having issues with this car since day 1 and hate it but anyways recently we have been getting snow here in WV well for some odd reason when and only while driving my car jerks like it loses power or something but quickly regains power its freaking weird. i have contacted nissan about it and he had said it's the abs kicking in and that he has an older jeep and he said if i thought my situation was bad that i should drive his car in the snow. so this time around i actually turned off my traction control button and its still doing it to the point i literally get nerves driving my car in the snow .So any suggestions on what's going on would be great. I have no check engine light on i even got this plug in thing called fixd and nothing pops up . i just recently replaced my MAF Sensor cause i was told that could be the problem.
Another thing happening is when i come to a stop my car feels like its losing voltage and i done had a brand new nissan battery put in 2 weeks ago to be exact. Also another thing that's been happening is when i'm on the highway and need to go uphill my car whines i've done replaced the transmission once and lately i've been having to really press on my gas pedal for it to even gain some type of speed going up a hill cause it struggles.
Any help would be greatly appreciated i'm about to drive this car down a ditch and call it a day seriously ugh frustrating .

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Anastasia2021 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:35 am
i just recently replaced my MAF Sensor cause i was told that could be the problem. Another thing happening is when i come to a stop my car feels like its losing voltage and i done had a brand new nissan battery put in 2 weeks ago to be exact.
Several things. First, when the MAF was replaced, was an Idle Air Volume Learn (IAVL) performed to match the new MAF to the ECM? If not, there's a good chance that's responsible for your hesitation and fluctuating idle speed when stopping. You can't just "throw a new MAF" at any Nissan product, it needs to be calibrated. Older Sentras are also notorious for the rubber intake boots hardening up and splitting, causing vacuum leaks that get worse whenever the car is gassed because the engine "rocks" in the mounts and flexes the boot, opening up the crack. Check the boot carefully for splits, especially on the underside. If you find any, have an IAVL re-done after it's replaced. Lastly, if no has ever cleaned the throttle body, get it cleaned. Sentra TB's are known for accumulating carbon.

Vis the traction control, you'd be getting a blinky "slip" light on the dash if it was engaging. If you're not seeing that then the TC/VDC isn't causing the issue. However, the trans could be, and if your FIXD is the cheap one then it won't read many of the transmission codes or parameters because they aren't OBD2-standard. If taking care of the TB and doing an IAVL doesn't solve the performance issues, you really should get it scanned with a better scanner.

Anastasia2021
Car: 2011 Nissan Sentra

I actually never knew that an idle air volume learn needs to be performed to match the new MAF sensor Im about to call the mechanic who did it to see so thank you for that and ugh i hope to god its not the transmission again that would suck cause the car isn't worth it to put all that money into it and it's just weird how the car drive great like it has no problems till you try to go uphill. and the throttle body did get cleaned by a nissan dealership that is also when i had them replace the cabin air filter as well as the engine air filter and also the air intake hose got replaced cause it had what you said splitting all throughout it. But thank you again for replying .

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Happy to help. Hopefully the IAVL is all it needs.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”