2011 Nissan Maxima AC Not Working

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
ThirdCoastBadBoy
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45

Need help 2011 Nissan Maxima AC was blowing a little warmer than normal. So, I added a can of Freon. It blew cold for about 3 to 4 weeks. Then while my wife was on her way home it started blow hot. I check the fuse under the hood on the driver side it was good. I then noticed the clutch was engaging. I tried finding the relay for the clutch. No luck. Could it be just the clutch gone bad.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The ECM on Nissan A/C's will prevent the compressor from operating if the refrigerant pressure is low. Since you know it had a small leak, maybe it turned into a bigger one. I'd check the system pressure before assuming anything about the clutch.

ThirdCoastBadBoy
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45

I was try to find the relay to check that first. But, can’t seem to locate it.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The relay is internal to the IPDM, it isn't serviceable. You can find the IPDM layout here on PG-61, the relay output to the clutch is a White wire on pin 48:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 0%2FPG.pdf

HOWEVER, it's only meaningful if it does go hot when you turn on the A/C. That tells you the clutch is bad. There are three other devices which can veto turn-on for various reasons, ECM, BCM, and A/C Auto Amp. So if it doesn't go hot, it probably doesn't mean you have a bad relay. It probably does mean something else is wrong in the system, like low pressure.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”