2011 Nissan Juke Test Drive Results - *UPDATED*

The web's first forum dedicated to the Nissan Juke and the Nissan Qazana.
nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

Sometimes it pays to have a friend in the car business. Case in point: Charlie, the sales manager at Peoria Nissan called Greg last week to let us know that he had a 2011 Nissan Juke in stock and we should come take it for a test drive. This morning Greg and I, along with Kevin (the salesman who sold us the Cube), took one out for a spin. We don't always have the same opinion on what's cool, what's not, what we love, and what we can live with. I would encourage everyone who is in the market, or is just curious, to go test drive one for yourself.

There are three different versions of the Juke: the S, the SV, and the SL. S is the base model, SV is the middle, and the SL is the luxury version. We drove the SV featuring a CVT transmission paired with the standard turbo-charged 1.6L Direct Injection Gasoline 4 cylinder engine. To me, the pairing of such a small engine with the CVT was a mistake. Even though the motor has a turbo, you just can't tell it because the CVT drags down the performance so drastically. Nissan says the Juke has 188 hp. I never did find it. The dealership is supposed to call me when they get one with a manual transmission. I will reserve my final judgment until after I drive that version but for the moment, the car is just way too slow. Merging onto the freeway is actually scary. Even with my foot on the floor, the throttle response is just negligible. FYI, the whine of the turbo combined with the whine of the CVT is absolutely distracting. I would suggest that you listen to the radio or strike up a conversation with your co-pilot. Wind noise at 70mph is noticeable but nowhere near as distracting as is in the Cube. Most of it seemed to come from the side mirrors.

Having said all that, the Juke isn't a bad car, at all. It handles beautifully, the steering is precise, and the turning radius is very tight. I would imagine this would be a very fun car on a curvy mountain road. Unfortunately, most of Phoenix is very flat and straight so I will have to have someone else chime in with their opinion on that. Estimated fuel mileage is between 27 and 32 mpg which isn't bad at all, especially for a turbo-charged motor. The Juke has a very cool feature called the I-Con system. In D-Mode, it's an electronic interface that allows you to shift between driving modes at the touch of a button. Normal mode is the best combo of performance and efficiency, Sport mode gives more boost and better response (supposedly), and ECO is great for conserving fuel in slower stop and go traffic situations. I-Con also allows you to track everything from trip miles, to daily fuel economy. In Climate mode, it allows you to control your HVAC system.

The Juke we drove had the Navigation System which is very user friendly. Whether you are a computer noob or a novice, you will have no problems figuring it out. Rear view monitors are available as are an upgraded Audio system from Rockford-Fosgate, USB ports, and ipod and mp3 auxiliary inputs. The audio system in ours was standard and was very nice, better than many upgraded systems some companies offer. The steering wheel controls were a surprising feature that comes standard on all 3 models as does Bluetooth. The controls were very well placed and user-friendly. Also, every SV and SL model Juke comes equipped with the Nissan Intelligent Key and push button ignition.

Interior likes and dislikes: The front seats are reasonably comfortable. The back seats are useless if you are over the age of 10. Headroom is non-existent. I bumped my head getting into the back seat and I'm only 5'7". I would suggest getting the model without the moonroof to give your self a couple of more inches of clearance. Storage capacity is 35.9 cubic feet when you fold the back seat flat. The driver's seat is nice and roomy but every other seat in the car made me feel small. There are no armrests in the SV model. The two-tone cloth material that Nissan used for the seats, specifically, the light gray, will probably get dirty rather quickly and be hard to clean. They are mostly grey with black accents. The pictures of the SL version with the leather interior look impressive. Hopefully I will get to see one of those models soon. The center console and door trim are matched to the exterior paint color. Coming from someone with an extensive background in plastics, I don't predict that these pieces will hold up for the entire life of the car. They seem to be a bit flimsy. It's a nice touch but it would have been much more impressive with better materials. The gauge clusters are well-placed and easy to read. There is an odd visor over the gauge cluster. It doesn't seem to have a purpose but it doesn't affect the ability to see the gauges either. Visibility is very good, I didn't find any blind spots while maneuvering down the freeway. Standard interior features include power windows, power door locks, tilt steering, intermittent wipers front and rear, dual vanity mirrors, front map lights, 12 volt DC power outlet, 2 cupholders and 2 bottle holders. Under floor storage is available in the FWD model.

Last, but not least, is the exterior. I saved this point for last because it seems to be a sticking point with many people I have talked to about this car. The Juke is curvy. The headlight shape and placement are both unusual, to say the very least. There are characteristics of the Versa and the Rogue throughout its design. It is different; however, different doesn't mean bad. The Juke will appeal to a certain demographic, as did the Cube and the Versa.

The sticker price of the SV model we drove was just over $24,000.

Overall impression: The Juke is small, safe, and eco-friendly. There are many nice features that other companies would consider "extras" that come standard on all models. The price tag, however, is a bit high. There are other members of the Nissan family that are a better economic value and have better performance. The 2011 Sentra Spec V MSRP is $20,830 for a 2.5L with 200 hp. The base model is only $18,200 for a 2.0L with 140hp. The Altima Sedan MSRP is $25,400 for a 3.5L with 270hp. The 2.5L is only $20,650. The Rogue is $25,270 for a 2.5L with 170hp and a LOT more room for passengers and cargo.

I really wonder what will happen with this car in the next two years. Will it still be interesting and weird enough to be attractive? The first initial reviews seem promising. Kevin, our salesman from Peoria Nissan, says that the cars have garnered a lot of interest. They have already sold three in a week and there was a couple checking out the one we test drove as we left. Many thanks to Charlie for extending the invitation to come test drive the Juke and to Kevin for taking time out of his morning to ride around with us and talk shop.

-Bex

PHENOMenalVinyl
Car: 08 altima coupe 2.5 mt

Just wondering BUT have you driven the 2.5 altima coupe with CVT because when i test drove my car i had to drive that one since they didnt have manual "which i bought" and it sucked royally. It had no pickup and was so damn slugish. Now i have the 6 spd and i went at it with my friend who had the same intake and exhaust i did and i beat him by 2 cars. So in the end i feel the manual is so much better. I hope you can test drive a manual tranny because thesde lil cvt models suck. I personally hate CVT and hope they get rid of them. Also its ruining there reliability the cvt has been dyeing quicker than the older gen trannys would. I may go drive one to tell you how i feel about it.

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

If there is one available in your area, please go drive it and let us know how it does. Considering the demographic around here is largely seniors, there isn't as much demand for cars with manuals. It might be a while before I get the opportunity myself.

wingFeather
Car: Current: 05 G35 Coupe. Previous: M35, M35 Sport, cube, J30, s13 sr20det, s13 rb20det, s14 zenki

People who report that the Nissan CVT has no "pickup" are not familiar with these transmissions. You are being fooled by your senses. Look at your speedometer & notice how you're doing the same speed as the manual. You are just not used to the lack of sensation felt when shifting.

philipa_240sx

Thanks for the review Bex.

The Juke is definitely a quirky little vehicle. TIme will tell if it will be a success for Nissan. I would almost consider one myself... but I like the cargo capacity of my Rogue along with the 28-30 mpg fuel economy. Hard to justify downsizing.

I have to chime in the CVT though...

I've driven both conventional auto's, manuals, and a CVT (Nissan Rogue). As far as auto boxes go, the CVT takes it hands down. Far smoother and more responsive than any auto I have driven. Every time go back and drive a conventional slush box, it seems like something from the stone age. It's not for everyone, but you do get used to how it works and eventually forget it's there.

However, you won't get an argument from me about a CVT vs. a manual gearbox. I would gladly take a well designed manual transmission any day of the week. So long as it's better than the one in my Altima 2.5S!

corvette_killer
Car: 1990 300zx 2+2 N/A

I have driven both the automatic and turbo juke. I work at a dealership in Virginia and i would have to say that the manual is far superior. The initial take off in first gear on the manual seems kind of sluggish but once you get them up it takes off. The only thing i didnt like about it was the rev synch when shifting the rpm's did not drop as much as i would have liked them to have. Also we have three jukes in stock and all of them have a strange ticking noise from the motor which i dont like. It will also be a pain to do any at home work on it if you are not so mechanically enclined but i do have to say that one of the o2 sensors is out in plain sight lol. Oh, and the manual comes in only front wheel drive while the automatic comes in all wheel but the downfall is the cvt tranny. Overall not a bad car for the money.

markculbert

RE: Early looks and user reviews of 011 Juke. Given that this is being sold as a
sporty utility (UTE/SUV); would anyone out there like Nissan to offer roof
racks (standard maybe on higher priced levels; optional on base) to increase
true utility value; given the small cargo area?
`
I have sent a suggestion to Nissan to make roof top carriers available ASAP
(hauling skis; Lowe's-type home improvement...purchases; vacation luggage...).
`
No reviews I've seen todate have raised the issue; but many SUV's in this class
do make them available at least on mid-range and higher models. I'd certainly
NEED them on any unit I drive; and if not available; hopefully some innovative
a-market supplier would design and execute something suitable. -- Mark Culbertson,
metro Detroit MI

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

We drove the CVT earlier today and I wasn't disappointed. There are noticeable differences between the three modes. The internet pictures really do the car no justice as it looks better in person. This maybe the wifey's new ride in a couple months. Waiting for the "Torque Vectoring" AWD to arrive so we can take that for a spin.

2008AltiCoupeDan
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5s - Gone, 2008 Subaru WRX Premium - built

personally.... a awd car that gets over 30mpg... only thing i need to see is sum drifting and dougnuts and i might just sell my A/C lol

nissangirl74

Can't wait to drive the manual version, I want to change my mind!!!

nissangirl74

Greg and I got a call from our friend Charlie at Peoria Nissan this morning. He had a Juke with a manual transmission, just waiting for us to come take a test drive. Luckily it was Greg's day off so we piled into the car and headed to the dealership. Kevin, the salesman that sold us our Cube, was our babysitter for the test drive. I felt kind of sorry for him having to pile in the backseat of the Juke. He looks like a linebacker for the Packers. There's no way he was comfortable, but he's a good sport. OK, enough with the chitchat, check this out!

I (finally) found the 188 horses the marketing campaign advertised. Evidently, Nissan put them in the transmission instead of the engine. The manual transmission completely transforms the driving experience of this car. Anyone who test drives both will like the manual better, regardless if they are in the market for an automatic. It's just that impressive. The clutch is not hydraulic and that takes some getting used to. It almost feels like you don't even have to let out on the clutch between shifts, like the components are disconnected from one another. The shifter feels great. The throws are short and precise. As you work your way through the gears, first is the only one that feels sluggish. Once you get into second gear the speed builds quickly. It doesn't take long to get to redline between gear shifts. That was a learning experience for the first few blocks; however, when I drove up onto the freeway, I was able to see how much power and potential the Juke really had. No fears about busting into 70 mph traffic this time. I was doing that coming up the on ramp.

There were a few things that we noticed when all of the power showed up. For one, there is insufficient on center steering feel, especially at higher speeds. The best way to describe it is that the car felt slightly off balance. Greg and I both agreed that it needed stickier tires. He noticed that the inside front lifted when accelerating through the corners. The whine of the turbo is very noticeable, especially above 4,000 rpms. The wind noise is a lot more noticeable at high speeds, some from the back hatch and lots and lots from the side mirrors. If we could just get rid of those completely, the driving experience would be so much better.

Based on my driving experience today, I have to say that I would recommend the Juke. While it is not for everyone, it will appeal to a certain demographic. The senior sect will love it because the CVT version is so easy (boring) to drive. It's effortless. The younger sect will love the manual version because it showcases all of the horsepower. Even with the performance I saw today, I think it is still a bit pricey. However, there are plenty out there who disagree. According to the initial numbers, the Juke is a hit. Kevin and Charlie both say that they are in high demand and that they have sold several of them. To the final question, will we ever buy one? Probably not. It's not practical for us. We can't fit ourselves and all of the kids in it and we already have the Cube as a small daily. However, if one of the kids expressed an interest in one later on, I wouldn't be opposed to picking up one for them to drive.

As with any of my reviews, I suggest that you go out and drive a Juke for yourself before forming an opinion. Before I drove the manual version, I was quite certain that this car was not a good idea and that Nissan had made a mistake. Afterwards, I think they made a version that is very fun to drive and I'm glad they didn't skip out on it.

PHENOMenalVinyl
Car: 08 altima coupe 2.5 mt

Hahahaa I knew your opinion would change. Its good to know the car still can have a lil fun only if it came in awd and mt . . .

IBCoupe
Car: '08 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD
'17 BMW 330e iPerformance

PhEnoM78 wrote:if it came in awd and mt
This. Nissan, are you listening?

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

NIce update! Great feedback for anyone on the fence about a CVT (with perhaps AWD) or the manual.

Side note, hopefully our Packer Linebackers can stay on track in get back to winning us games! Clay Matthews is a stud!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

too bad 90+% will be CVT :(

IBCoupe
Car: '08 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD
'17 BMW 330e iPerformance

Hey, I know a car like that.

JukieMcJukerson
Car: Nissan Juke

Anyone who is familiar with CVT and how to drive it will tell you that the tranny in the Juke is a cut above the rest. It is the first application of the latest generation of Nissan Xtronic CVT. This tranny really is a hybrid as it contains a torque converter, a clutch, a gearbox, and the obligatory variable pulleys. Friction inside the unit has been decreased by 30% in comparison to the last generation. This should contribute to longer life of the unit. Hopefully it will prove once and for all that CVT is better than any slushbox could ever hope to be. This is one of the greatest cruising trannys ever produced and it'd be a shame if it were to disappear because people are unwilling or unable to learn it's benefits.

Just like everyone else, I enjoy the involvement of a manual transmission. I like being an integral part of the rising an falling of the revs and such. It's just sometimes I don't want the hassle. A lot of stop and go on a daily commute can make a manual a real pain, especially in a hilly area. SOmetimes, you just gotta have an automatic.

I also have come to think of the hydraulic slushbox as a relic of the stone age. The 6 speed sport shift mode on the Juke CVT makes quicker shifts than a slushbox and is smooth as glass. Even that unnerves some people. They expect a buildup to the roar of really high revs followed by low chugging as the revs begin to climb once more. Once you begin to forget about all that commotion and become more sensitive to how the manually shifted "virtual gears" in the Juke feel and perform, you will begin to see that it is much better than a standard slushbox. You just don't think it is because the car isn't giving you whiplash on every shift.

Operating CVT in automatic mode is even trickier. Revs rise to the optimum rpm in the power band and hold there. You have to get over the "OMG, I need to shift NOW!" sensation. To the untrained driver is seems like the trans does nothing but slip, but this is not the case. It just seems that way because your tach just sits in one spot, but if you look at the speedo you'll see that you are accelerating steadily. Maybe not as quickly overall as you would might expect, but then again, your acceleration is not going to slow down while the slushbox takes it's sweet time in handing you anther gear. Overall the CVT outperforms the slushbox in acceleration. Now here is the best part, when you are trying to pass on the freeway there is no harsh downshift and engine roar as you try to overtake. The CVT hands you the perfect ratio and applies torque instantly. Just a little gas is all it takes, mashing the gas pedal to the floor will do you no good (probably another thing people have trouble getting used to). I hated the damn thing at first too, but now I have grown to love it.

Now here is the part that is going to shock you. The CVT really is the best transmission to go with the torque vectoring all wheel drive. As anyone who has driven a turbo knows, a turbo only works when it is spooled up. If you miscalculate a gear shift and run low on revs, you run the risk of falling out of boost. CVT has no such problem because it will have the engine running continuously in the power band where you get the best boost and therefore torque and horsepower. Now both of your hands are free to chuck the Juke into a corner and put the torque vectoring AWD to use. Also, I can't help but think that this will take alot of stain off the AWD system parts as well as the CVT is connected to the computer.

I know what you are thinking, all of the fun has been sucked out. Nothing could be further from the truth. You just have more time to enjoy the ride. I admit, the Juke has a real drive by wire sort of feel to it, especially with the CVT. However, I can't drive it without having fun. It puts a smile on my face every time. At the end of the day I just feel like I got so much more for the money than I could in something else.

Oh, before I forget, the off center feeling you are getting in manual transmission is called torque steer. The more horsepower you put in a front wheel drive car the more of a tendency it will have to pull to one side. After 200 horsepower or so it becomes intolerable, not just in Juke, but in any car. No worries though, no such problem exists with the AWD model. In fact, the torque vectoring AWD is basically just using torque steer to help maneuver the car.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

In order for the Juke to "feel" fast with the CVT option you're going to need a new exhaust and a boost controller. I'll post up my review and some quick and easy HP mods with pics as soon as I finish the write up.

Bex, did your sales guy look like this?

WD

nissangirl74

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Of course this guy would look small in anything besides a Titan. I didn't even fit back there comfortably and I'm 5'7", 125 pounds.

GRey1
Car: 2015 Gun Metallic SL AWD w/Tech
2011 Chrome Nissan Juke SV CVT-AWD

I haven't been in my backseat. My 4 year old granddaughter likes it, but I doubt that my 6'3" 200lb frame would be comfy back there. Guess it's a good thing I didn't buy it to be a taxi. Just over 2k miles on it and I have no complaints at all about the CVT. This car is definitely not for everyone and I do not fit Nissans demographic for the Juke.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

JukieMcJukerson wrote:Oh, before I forget, the off center feeling you are getting in manual transmission is called torque steer. The more horsepower you put in a front wheel drive car the more of a tendency it will have to pull to one side. After 200 horsepower or so it becomes intolerable, not just in Juke, but in any car. No worries though, no such problem exists with the AWD model. In fact, the torque vectoring AWD is basically just using torque steer to help maneuver the car.
Agreed on almost everything in your post EXCEPT ^ this.

The lack of on-center feel isn't torque steer, as it occurs even when there's no power being applied. It's likely a little bit of two things:

One, a bit too much power assist above parking-lot speeds.
Two, a lack of dampening (which would have to be artificially-created, and isn't cost-effective).

Torque steer IS there, but it's a differnt issue than what Bex described, and it's not bad. Nissan has gotten VERY good at minimizing (and almost eliminating) torque steer. It's nowhere near "intolerable" in the Maxima, and that has far more HP than the Juke.

A bigger issue than torque steer is the crappy Goodyear RSA tires - the Juke wants to lift that inside front tire and squeal through a turn, rather than grabbing and gripping. Some summer sticky tires would make it a real joy (and, I'm sure, the AWD).

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

There's actually suspension geometry characteristics that make the wheel "want" to return to center. I can't remember what they are right now, but its different in different classes of cars. It can also give the effect of "heavy" steering.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

That's mostly caster.

Neg caster can have the effect Bex described. Coincidentally, looking at the geometry, it's definitely damn close to negative caster angle (dictated by the front end design).

This also feels like it's simply overboosted / underdamped (which makes sense, since it used to be evident on our Cube - another drive-by-wire car).

Return to “Juke Forum | Qazana Forum”