2011 Nissan Juke in the Snow?????

The web's first forum dedicated to the Nissan Juke and the Nissan Qazana.
Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

Has anyone had a chance to really test out the Jukes AWD system by taking it for a spin in snow? We have not received any significant snowfall in Green Bay yet (and quite honestly, I hope we don't see it for a while yet, I really enjoyed golfing last week) but I have seen that a lot of areas did receive snow. The AWD is only great if it helps handling in less than perfect driving conditions.

So if you have driven an AWD Juke in the snow, LET'S HEAR ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :poke:

mroxbury
Car: Nissan Versa 1.8L SL with CVT

:whistle:
Have you seen the design on the JUKE? Did an engineer actually design such a stupid looking thing?
My prediction is that this will be another flop for Nissan. 1.6 L engine is too small.

Oh, does it come with CVT? What is Nissan Nippon thinking? Didn't they learn anything with the CUBE?

Disappointing cosmetically.....let's go back to basics and get proper quality, performance for engines, transmissions, and durability over the "long haul"; i.e., let's not be replacing engines and transmissions after a couple of years.

We will have to go back to North American vehicles soon.....

Monti

Timmbo

I couldnt disagree more! The CVT has proven to be durable yet economical. Personally I love the way the Juke looks along with the features it offers, it will be a huge success for Nissan.

Why are we talking about this here?

How does the Juke handle in the snow? That is the topic of this thread!

blitzcreager17
Car: 1989 hardbody 2.4i 5spd

mroxbury wrote::whistle:
Have you seen the design on the JUKE? Did an engineer actually design such a stupid looking thing?
My prediction is that this will be another flop for Nissan. 1.6 L engine is too small.

Oh, does it come with CVT? What is Nissan Nippon thinking? Didn't they learn anything with the CUBE?

Disappointing cosmetically.....let's go back to basics and get proper quality, performance for engines, transmissions, and durability over the "long haul"; i.e., let's not be replacing engines and transmissions after a couple of years.

Monti
:offtopic: :hater: i think the juke is sweet looking and will be a big success but i dont know how it hadles in the snow but i would love to find out

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Since we're off topic....lol.

Small cubes plus boost is a win for a multitude of reasons. You have the ability to achieve efficient mileage and still make decent power. What's not to like about that? Is bigger better? I suppose if your only objective is power, but the Juke was clearly not designed to run with the Camaro or Mustang. It was designed to be better and faster then other cross overs...which it is.

Ugly? Have you seen the trends these days?

Back on topic.

Anything small and AWD will be a riot to drive in the snow.

mag318
Car: Nissan Rogue

What's not to like is the fact it runs on PREMIUM fuel. Any mileage benefit is eaten up by the requirement for higher cost fuel. I really enjoyed my test drive of the Juke and I love the electronic features. The gas costs will be a deciding factor for a lot of buyers. As far as it's performance in snow I think it will be fine just like my Rogue.

Timmbo

In the grand scheme of things Premium is not that much more than regular, I currently run premium in our G37, no biggie to me. Without a doubt my Armada is the fuel hog. LOL

WDRacing

I think Nissan is aiming at the demographic that wants something small and sporty. You can't have the sporty without some extra cost. It'll only cost about $3.00 more per fill up then a car that can function on mid/low grade pump gas. That's gonna be about 12 bucks a month to own a car that hauls a**. If you can't afford 12 bucks a month you really don't need to be buying a new car in the first place imho.

So yes, it's a small detractor...very small.

Another thing to consider is that a free flowing exhaust and CAI will probably yield another 25hp at the wheels and increase your mpg rating at the same time. All for 12 bucks a month. I spend more then that every week on niceties like beer and take out.

The biggest detractor for me is the damn back seat. I'd rather have NO cargo room and another 6 inches of leg room instead. Such is life...

mroxbury

Are you all on another planet talking about performance and how it will handle in the snow!!!!!????

Let's get real, the engine is a 1.6 L. No room in the back seat... oH YEAH, I'll be watching for it in the snow this winter anf laughing LOL LOL

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Mr. Roxbury, you seem to have little faith in the ability to make power from small displacement engines. You are sorely mistake. Members of this forum regularly make 400+ hp from the 2.0L SR20 or the CA18 motors. The beauty of the turbochargers is the ability to replicate the power of much larger engines by forcing similar amounts of air into the combustion chamber. The great benefit of this is that you can make a lot of power at higher rpm's when the turbo spools up, but at lower rpm's you maintain the excellent gas mileage of small displacement engine.
Ever watched a rally race? In the 80's the Group A Rally cars routinely made 400+ hp from sub 2.0L engines. The Lancia Delta S4 was an amazing car that made over 500hp from a 1.8L engine.... in the 1980's!

Sir, you are free to hold whatever opinion you chose about the Juke. I won't argue about the appearance as that is subjective, nor will I argue about the small back seat, because the is true. But I do wish you would at least wake up about your claims that the engine is insufficient for the vehicle. You are simply wrong about that. I'm sorry you are not happy about your Versa and it's CVT, but let's not make false assumptions about other vehicles and their capabilities unless you can come from a little more informed position.

Oh, and the Juke will be competent in the snow dependent upon the tires. The AWD system is excellent and the higher body height than a standard car will also be an asset. I won't give any recommendations higher than competent however based on the light weight of the car and it's short wheelbase. It'll be better than most cars, but certainly not competition for a truck or SUV, etc..

Eikon

Surprisingly enough, more tread is not necessarily better in the snow. Narrower tires take more pressure per sq inch and thus cut into the snow and ice better than wider tires. Wider tires tend to float over the top and not dig in as well.

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

mroxbury wrote:Are you all on another planet talking about performance and how it will handle in the snow!!!!!????

Let's get real, the engine is a 1.6 L. No room in the back seat... oH YEAH, I'll be watching for it in the snow this winter anf laughing LOL LOL

I had snow chains for my 1980 Datsun 210. :biggrin: It had a 1.4L engine, it was RWD, and we used it to pull my 1995 Ford Contour (with traction control) out of a snow-filled ditch. I always made it back and forth to work and I NEVER got stuck.

Sometimes when a car fails to perform as expected, it's not the car's fault; it's the driver's.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

mroxbury wrote:Are you all on another planet talking about performance and how it will handle in the snow!!!!!????

You drive a Versa. They'll be blowing past you like you're standing still. :)

I'm guessing you've never driven a forced-induction 4-cyl.

That explains a lot.

WDRacing

Vehicles aren't marketed towards every demographic. Obviously you don't reside anywhere close to the demo that enjoys instant torque available from throttle tip in all the way to red line. Nor do you seem to like one of the best AWD systems to currently reside in any platform. It resembles the unmatched torque application process that made the GTR so competitive, albeit not mated to a manual trans. :tisk:

So we're left with, Ugly and no back seat room. What does that have to do with snow? Nothing. So pick another thread and drop your negative comments in there, I look forward to re-owning you :poke:

WD

mroxbury

I look forward to re-owning you

WD

I really do not know what you mean here?????

Does the JUKE come with a CVT????

I rest my case.....

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

mroxbury wrote:Does the JUKE come with a CVT????

I rest my case.....
The Juke has a CVT.

Think before you post.

WDRacing

I think you missed his point Greg. Because of the CVT option, the Juke is directly related to the snowmobile and therefore awesome in the snow. Or he forgot to take his meds...

IBCoupe
Car: '08 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD
'17 BMW 330e iPerformance

Someone stop me before I trade in my Bedazzled for a Beduglied.

GRey1
Car: 2015 Gun Metallic SL AWD w/Tech
2011 Chrome Nissan Juke SV CVT-AWD

It has not snowed enough here in Cleveland for me to comment on the performance in the snow. I purchased the AWD version and I'm looking forward to taking on the snow after 5 years of driving a RWD Charger. On snow free streets however, I have been having a ball. This thing has great pickup and handling corners is a blast. :biggrin:

carlos15
Car: 09 versa sedan 1.8l
window tint
white footwell lighting
1993 miata
ebay exhaust
greddy turbo kit
ebay interfooler
megasqrtui

mroxbury wrote::whistle:

Monti
bro realy stop being such a damn d*** you post your smart s*** on other topics if you dont like nissans sell your versa and gtfo :argh :soap:

mroxbury

Doesn't this Forum require proper manners for posting messages?

Whether one is educated or not, manners always serve a person well in life.

Remember the Japanese principle of KAIZEN.

Monti

mroxbury

AZhitman wrote:
mroxbury wrote:Does the JUKE come with a CVT????

I rest my case.....
The Juke has a CVT.

Think before you post.

That was my point, - that it has a CVT.

AZhitman
Administrator

mroxbury wrote:Doesn't this Forum require proper manners for posting messages?

Whether one is educated or not, manners always serve a person well in life.

Remember the Japanese principle of KAIZEN.

Monti
Manners? Seriously? Oh - You mean your impeccable manners? Let's see....

Did an engineer actually design such a stupid looking thing?

Didn't they learn anything with the CUBE?
Pretty rude (and ignorant) comments there.

How about you practice what you preach, Sunshine.
mroxbury wrote:That was my point, - that it has a CVT.
OK, and we're all still waiting to hear your incredibly astute opinion on what that has to do with anything. I'm eager to hear this one - it oughta be good. :rolleyes:

By the way, "kaizen" means "continual improvement". It has nothing at all to do with manners.

Seriously, stop before you fall and hurt yourself. :slap:

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Well, you can also get it with a 6 speed manual... just not with AWD (I'm anxious for that to change).

And yes, skinnier tires are definitely better in the snow. Add studs if you can.

as opposed to tarmac/gravel setup:

Timmbo

GRey1 wrote:It has not snowed enough here in Cleveland for me to comment on the performance in the snow. I purchased the AWD version and I'm looking forward to taking on the snow after 5 years of driving a RWD Charger. On snow free streets however, I have been having a ball. This thing has great pickup and handling corners is a blast. :biggrin:
Once you get some significant snow, please be sure to share your feelings and thoughts about the handling of the Juke in the snow! In the mean time, ENJOY YOUR FABULOUS JUKE!

GRey1

Nothing BUT snow this week. I put the car in AWD and had absolutely NO problems, even with the all season Goodyears. The emergency brake works very well when trying to lock those back wheels up going around corners.

On my way to work Monday, I saw a black Scion TC veer off the road and into the median about 3-4 car lengths in front of me. His car made a huge cloud of snow as it spun in circles on the snow covered grass. It was great. Flew passed the whole thing at about 60+, no problems.

The tires suck. They sucked on my Charger during the winter and they suck on this car too. I believe the use of some snow tires would make this car even more awesome in the snow.

too_lazy
Car: 2011 JUKE SV AWD
gunmetal metallic

GRey1 wrote:Nothing BUT snow this week. I put the car in AWD and had absolutely NO problems, even with the all season Goodyears. The emergency brake works very well when trying to lock those back wheels up going around corners.

On my way to work Monday, I saw a black Scion TC veer off the road and into the median about 3-4 car lengths in front of me. His car made a huge cloud of snow as it spun in circles on the snow covered grass. It was great. Flew passed the whole thing at about 60+, no problems.

The tires suck. They sucked on my Charger during the winter and they suck on this car too. I believe the use of some snow tires would make this car even more awesome in the snow.
Careful there... AWD helps us move but does not help us stop.

I've also been driving in snow and have had no problems. The goodyear RS-As have been very good so far. I hear that they absolutely suck after losing a little bit of tread though. This will probably be the one and only winter those tires will ever see on my car.

Eikon

too_lazy wrote: Careful there... AWD helps us move but does not help us stop.
Well said!
No statement has ever been more true, but less understood or practiced. I am always amazed at how fast people in trucks and SUV's drive in poor conditions. They forget they are riding on the equivalent of four hockey pucks on an ice rink if the roads are icy. Sure having AWD distributes the traction when accelerating, but it does absolutely nothing to help you stop.

GRey1

You make a very good point. You have to observe extra distance in this weather and don't make quick, erratic moves (like Mr. Scion owner) and you will be fine. I'm 45 years old and got my drivers license in a old 1970's Buick Electra during a snow storm that shut down the place as I was taking my picture (the storm, not my picture shut it down). I've been driving a 2006 Charger RT for the past 4 winters. I'm an aggressive driver (supposedly), with ZERO caused accidents to date (knocking on wood).

All that said, AWD doesn't mean SQUAT if the tires never touch the road. I too have seen the AWD/4WD trucks fly by as if by magic. Sometimes I've seen them later during my trip on an embankment. Never touched the gas on the way to work today. Bumper to bumper in the snow with my foot on the brake. I don't think I've ever idled 20+ miles before.

Even with the AWD, I was still driving this thing like it was my Charger. Like previously mentioned, the RSA's sucked on the Charger after the first year so I switched to Firestone snow tires from Tire Rack (name slips me) after that and it improved the handling 100% in the snow. I will be picking up some of these for the Juke or some Blizzaks in the near future. Been snowing all weekend and all this week. The Juke is performing admirably.

Drive Safely everyone!!!

DonDon
Car: nissan juke sl, stillen exhaust, hid's,carbon fiber dash kit

i drove about 15 miles in the last snow storm in nj. my little juke handled like a trooper... :cool:

Return to “Juke Forum | Qazana Forum”