2011 m56s timing chain replacement

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Frog
Car: 2011 M56s

Well the M is now in the shop getting the timing chain done, anyone have this done already. How did it turn out. I am a bit scared of oil leaks. Seems like once You open it up its hard to put back together perfect.

I'll keep you all posted it the whine on start goes away.

IAMTheRuckus
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx

The silicon that Nissan/Infiniti uses is superb. Unless you have an incompetent tech working on it you shouldn't have any worries about oil leaks. Timing chains are rather straightforward and I personally haven't had a vehicle come back with any leaks yet. Plus, if it does leak then they should take care of it so you really don't have anything to worry about.

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

Frog wrote:Well the M is now in the shop getting the timing chain done...
At the dealer or another shop?

If non-warranty, and you don't mind, what's it costing you?

What were the symptoms that made you take it in?

Whats your mileage?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

^^ looking for same info. I want to take mine to the dealer but I'm worried they are going to say, like they told someone else here, that it's normal sounding (no car I have EVER had has made that noise at startup).

Frog

2011 m56s. 50,000 miles. Local Infiniti dealer. All I did was record the sound it makes at start up. A whine for about 15 Seconds, it's worse when cold. It's not bad. I sent that video to my service tech and he had the manager listen to it and they agreed time to replace.

The power train warrant is 6 years 70k I think

Thanks for the info on likely no oil leaks when done

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Frog wrote:2011 m56s. 50,000 miles. Local Infiniti dealer. All I did was record the sound it makes at start up. A whine for about 15 Seconds, it's worse when cold. It's not bad. I sent that video to my service tech and he had the manager listen to it and they agreed time to replace.

The power train warrant is 6 years 70k I think

Thanks for the info on likely no oil leaks when done
Nice! That's good news for me. Hopefully my dealer is as willing.

spirod
Car: 2011 M56S

Frog,

I had to go to Infiniti for a response to the start-up noise as two dealers did not believe the noise was caused by the timing chain. Infiniti sent me this response :
"We are writing to you in reference to your concern surrounding a sound which you notice during the start-up of your vehicle, Infiniti M56 bearing Vehicle Identification Number.
As you are aware, a review of your observations was undertaken at the highest levels, involving our Resolution Team, dealership(s) and personnel from our Technical Division. The determination of said review was that the sound which you have noticed is a characteristic of the vehicle and that it is operating as designed."

Here is a link to the recording I sent them : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clmW_mlHPk0
(if link does not work, look up "2011 Infiniti M56S Engine Noise" - white car)

Did your car sound the same or different?

spirod
Car: 2011 M56S

fyi, the car had 7000km (4500m) when I recorded the video in Oct 2014. Car has now 25000km with same noise - year round but louder and lasts longer when cold. Car still runs well.

CRV_33
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x

My car also did and still does make that sound after I had my timing chain replaced two-three months ago so I am going to agree with Infiniti that the sound is not related to the timing chain.

Frog

That's exactly the sound. I'll let u know if it still makes the noise after the replacement.

Ilya

I just want some way for Infiniti to give my engine a clean bill of health (I maintain it religiously) so I don't get stuck with a $5k repair in 12 months. I think by going there and getting rebuffed, at least it'll be on paper that I had timing chain concerns. If it then blows up in my face, I can say "I TOLD YOU SO!".

Frog

That's all I was thinking as well. Power train is up in 1 year and I didn't want a 5k repair either. Surprised they're willing to fix it if that's not the sound it makes when going bad.

For the guy that's the service tech what do u think of that sound ?

CRV_33
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x

Someone should go up to a local Infiniti dealership and have them do a cold start up on a new Q70 V8 on the dealers lot. See if it makes that sound initially, could definitely ease a lot of minds in this forum.

Frog

I'll do it on Tuesday. When I pick up my car

Ilya

CRV_33 wrote:Someone should go up to a local Infiniti dealership and have them do a cold start up on a new Q70 V8 on the dealers lot. See if it makes that sound initially, could definitely ease a lot of minds in this forum.
It will ease that concern, but not the concern that evidently 5.6's are blowing timing chains left and right (and that one of our very own members who works for Infiniti is doing like 1 or 2 a week or whatever).

That's my main concern. I just basically want to finagle my way into having the timing chain replaced regardless of the noise. That way I know, noise or not, that my chain won't grenade my motor in 20kmi.

BlackCat81
Car: 2006 M35x
2003 Lexus GX470

Ilya wrote:
CRV_33 wrote:Someone should go up to a local Infiniti dealership and have them do a cold start up on a new Q70 V8 on the dealers lot. See if it makes that sound initially, could definitely ease a lot of minds in this forum.
It will ease that concern, but not the concern that evidently 5.6's are blowing timing chains left and right (and that one of our very own members who works for Infiniti is doing like 1 or 2 a week or whatever).

That's my main concern. I just basically want to finagle my way into having the timing chain replaced regardless of the noise. That way I know, noise or not, that my chain won't grenade my motor in 20kmi.
The chains are more likely to fail on a QX56/80. Our shop (me) has only done one set on an M56. NEVER once has a chain actually broke or ruined a motor. The noise they create is due to the passenger side chain stretching and rubbing the oil jet. Otherwise, the tensioner still keeps the chain right and the motor correctly in time. As far as the repair go and your concern for leaks, as previously mentioned, Infiniti sealant is some of the best stuff I've seen. From a repair standpoint, it's not a difficult job it's just time consuming. The only thing that needs to be re-sealed are the front timing cover and VTC covers. The oil pan doesn't even need to come off. The timing covers and VTC covers go back on perfectly, they have to align with the alignment dowels in the block, so it's not like it can be put back on crooked or anything. Even if there were no alignment dowels to center the cover, if it went on wrong none of the 32 bolts that hold it in place would line up appropriately.

I've posted this picture before, but the majority of the work is just getting the accessories and front cover off. I can see how it looks a bit intimidating to someone who doesn't do this kind of work for a living, but it's actually a fairly straightforward repair and you shouldn't be worried.

You can see how much the passenger chain is stretched and the tensioner is maxed out (doing its job) keeping the motor in time. Out of all the chains we've done in our shop (I'd have to say probably 30+), not a single one has come back for an oil leak.

Deezyweezy
Car: 2011 M56X

I just bought a 2011 M56x on Saturday and it is making the same noise as the youtube video posted. It only has 32K miles on it. I had a general inspection today and everything came back "good". I'm literally within months of the 6 yr/60K warranty in time and am certainly concerned given I just bought the vehicle. I was told they did a rpm test which should demonstrate the timing belt issue and it passed; however, I plan to leave it overnight so that they can hear the "cold start" buzz/whine as demonstrated in the youtube vid. Anybody have any other input for me?

Ilya

Let us know how it goes Deezy.

And Steve, so you don't need to remove the intake manifold, etc.? The video of the QX being worked on seemed like it was a lot more involved then just removing, say, the radiator and crap to get better room.

Frog

Black cat , do you think that sound in the video is an
Indication of the timing chain or not ?

Ilya

It's the same sound I have, and BlackCat did not think it was the issue that requires a fix. However, I'd still like to get it inspected just in case.

Deezyweezy
Car: 2011 M56X

The tech I talked to suggested a noise that occurs at cold start, then goes away in less than a minute "may" be unrelated to the timing chain. I love the car, day three of ownership, but man the timing chain has me puckered! I'll keep you posted on my results and certainly let me know what you guys have seen.

BlackCat81
2003 Lexus GX470

Ilya wrote:Let us know how it goes Deezy.

And Steve, so you don't need to remove the intake manifold, etc.? The video of the QX being worked on seemed like it was a lot more involved then just removing, say, the radiator and crap to get better room.
Technically the FSM has you remove the intake manifold and valve covers to find TDC. I don't take them off, I can find TDC by the cam gear timing marks with the cover off. The oil pan has to come off on the QX's due to the design of the oil pump being driven directly off the crankshaft. The M's oil pump is chain driven off a sprocket on the crank and can be removed without pulling the pan. Once you do a couple you can learn little ways to make it easier to do. For example, the FSM states the engine and trans need to be removed on the JX35/QX60 to replace the transmission. I can replace the trans without pulling the motor which saves so much time. It may seem like it's cutting corners, but in my opinion, the less intrusive I have to be on a car to get a job done is actually better. The less stuff that has to be removed is better for the car.

BlackCat81
2003 Lexus GX470

Deezyweezy wrote:The tech I talked to suggested a noise that occurs at cold start, then goes away in less than a minute "may" be unrelated to the timing chain. I love the car, day three of ownership, but man the timing chain has me puckered! I'll keep you posted on my results and certainly let me know what you guys have seen.
I can't say for certain, but I think the noise has something to do with the high pressure fuel pump, VVT, and open loop operation during warmup. Once the car goes closed loop and is using the air fuel sensors to adjust the air fuel ratio, the motor smooths out and the noise goes away. The 5.6 is a noisy motor, and every one I've seen has the same noise.

Ilya

I keep going back and forth between saying 'f it, it's fine' and 'eeeeee skettttttchy'. lol.

BlackCat81
2003 Lexus GX470

Ilya wrote:Let us know how it goes Deezy.

My mentor when I was an apprentice would do chains on the QX56 without even removing the radiator. There's lots of different ways to do the job. I could do it without pulling the radiator as well, but the extra room to work is worth the time it takes to pull a few extra parts off.

Frog

What indication is there then that the timing chain job needs to be done on all these 5.6 motors. I agree the less the engine is opened up the better. Should I just wait and hope it doesn't fail or get it done?

BlackCat81
2003 Lexus GX470

Frog wrote:What indication is there then that the timing chain job needs to be done on all these 5.6 motors. I agree the less the engine is opened up the better. Should I just wait and hope it doesn't fail or get it done?
The beginning symptom is a very high pitched whine noise when lightly revving the motor when cold. Simple as that. If it doesn't whine, it doesn't need chains.

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

Blackcat81, you say that you've replaced 30 or more QX56 timing chains and only ONE M56/Q70 5.6 timing chain. How can you say that the issue is with all 5.6 motors? What model years are you replacing?. Also, the QX56's motor looks nothing like the M56's from what I can see, so I'm willing to bet they are very different. From my past experience Infiniti TSB's are VERY specific in that they include all models affected. the TSB that was posted at no point references the M56. The TSB for the QX56 is below:

-REVISED-
2011-2013 INFINITI QX56; WHINE NOISE FROM ENGINE AREA
A whine type noise is coming from the Bank 2 (B2) side of the timing chain system.
• The noise is best heard from the high pressure fuel pump area.
• The noise should increase in frequency with engine speed (RPM).
• If the noise does not increase with engine speed, the timing chain system may not be the cause.
Refer to the appropriate section of the Electronic Service Manual (ESM) for further diagnosis.

Also, your posts state that if you hear the whine for 15 seconds during a cold start up that it's the timing chain. Then in another post you say it may not be the chain if it whines. I'm confused because the information you're giving is very conflicted. Several members of the board have the exact same issue for their M56's and 1 or 2 have had the timing chain replaced (CRV_33 comes to mind) and STILL have the whine. Based on your last post, how is this possible?

I've researched by googling QX56 whine and I find that most complain that the whine lasts for 10 MINUTES, not 15 seconds.

Are you replacing the QX56's with a newly designed timing chain or the exact same one as before? If it's not a newly designed timing chain, how can you say that it won't fail again as early as 20K miles?

I just need to get some consistent information here. I'm going to the dealership in 2 hours and I'm going to cold start a new Q70 5.6 to see if the problem still exists if possible. Too much inconsistent information is being posted and is causing widespread panic IMO.

Frog

the problems is that this repair cost 5k out of warranty so I figure I'll have it done anyway just in case.

My advise is if you can get them to do it then might as well. I will give u some pice of mind after power train warranty is up.

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

Frog, you had the timing chain replaced. Is the whine still there?

You were the OP and your concern was that there might be leaking after the timing chain was replaced. I don't believe in replacing parts for the sake of it. There is no piece of mind if there is no failed part. My main concern whenever I take my car to the dealer is the same as yours -- will it come back in factory condition. I disagree with your advice -- Never let them open your engine unless it's completely necessary.

FYI I wasn't able to start up a cold Q70 5.6. There were none on the lot, only 3.7's.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”