2011 M37S Brakes and Tires

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
c52ksl
Car: 2011 M37
2002 Qx4

Hi All,

My '11 has about 29k miles on it, and i'm in need of new brakes and tires.

I was wondering what the best mid-price range Drilled/Slotted rotors and pads to buy, as well as what tires to purchase. I don't want the bridgestones anymore - i've had the same super soft tires on 2 different cars, and they don't last long at all. My dealer has been trying to sell me on Nitto's with a 60k mileage warranty.

I'm looking for brakes and tires that will last for a good long bit, increase braking, quiet down braking, and driving as well.

I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks in advance.

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

I just put on the all-season Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS. This are the OEM tires that 2013 models come with. I don't have a lot of miles on them yet, but found the ride quality to be much improved. I feel like the ride softened a bit, the cornering is still tight, but it lost the harshness of the original summer tire. I bought it with the tires at indicators and felt this strange grinding/staggering like effect while breaking/slowing down. I was convinced it was breaks going bad until I got new tires. Right away it went away. I also like the price which is almost half of the summer tire. I just hope the wear will also be much improved, but we'll have to wait and see.

Don't have anything as far as breaks.
regards

elansam
Car: 2012 M35h

Try tirerack for other tire options and also brake pads and rotors. I've also had good experiences with Advanced autos platinum line of brake components.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

c52ksl wrote:I'm looking for brakes and tires that will last for a good long bit, increase braking, quiet down braking, and driving as well.
So you want everything, without having to give up anything? Unfortunately that's not possible, you can't have it all.

For tires, if you're looking for an all-season type tire, I'd recommend the Continental DWS's. I had them on a CTS-V I had a couple years ago, and those tires were fantastic. They lasted about 40k miles (and I wasn't easy on the car), they were quiet and had fantastic traction. What I was really impressed with was how they performed in the snow, I had very low expectations but they were fantastic, I never had any issues. For a "performance" oriented tire that works well in all seasons, that's a great choice.. Take a look at them and see what you think.

Any of those 60k mile tires that are cheaper are going to definitely not have the same traction, and they'll probably get noisy... I wouldn't recommend something like that on a car like this.

Regarding the brakes, I don't think that drilled/slotted rotors are really what you want, unless you just think they look cool. Especially slotted rotors will eat brake pads for lunch and will likely be dusty. I would personally consider the OEM rotors, my guess is they'll be cheaper than even Brembo. I've had good luck with brembo rotors in the past. I'd probably not recommend "auto-parts" store rotors, they tend to be cheaper and not last as long...

Regarding the brake pads, I've run Hawk HPS and they've been great, I'm on my second set on my Q45. I've also heard that Ferodo makes a really nice pad, especially the 2500 DS. I know people that have used the hawks and the Ferodo pads and like them better than the hawks...

jeffk69
Car: M37 Sport

Hi All,

2011 M37s ready for tires as well. Are there any additional suggestions or thoughts on choices out there? Conti DWS getting spotty reviews on Tirerack. Looking for All Seasons that will yield a quieter and tad more comfortable ride than the stock OEM RE50's.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I am also shopping for tires at present. I have done extensive research and I have narrowed my choice to three. All have high marks for handling and grip on dry and wet, but there is no snow where I live so you may need to check the snow ratings if you live in an area that gets winter conditions.

Continental DWS (ultra high performance A/S)- excellent grip and traction on dry but lower handling than the other two, also a little higher noise level than the other two but peeps here rave about them ($190)

Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Positon (ultra high performance A/S) - very quiet with better handling than Conti, less bettter than Michelin ($175)

Michelin Primacy MXV4 (grand touring A/S) - best ratings for noise and traction in wet and dry of all three but also most expensive of the three ($216)

My loaners from the dealer have had the Goodyear Eagles and the Yokohama Avid EnVigor. Both of these were significantly lower handling, noisy, and I won't consider them as I've actually driven them and they are crap compared to the three above, LOL.

My current set is still THE best ever tires: Michelin Pilot Super Sport AS Plus. I couldn't be happier with them but for one thing. They are noisier than the three above and stayed noisy until now when near the end of their tread. That is the ONLY reason I won't buy them. I'm leaning most towards Bridgstone Pole Position, but may go with the MXV4. I
Last edited by Larz on Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Living in Florida, I wouldn't really thing having an all-season tire would be necessary... Have you considered the Michelin pilot Super Sports (non all-season). Those things are whisper quiet, and are going to run circles around those other ones. I have a set on my BMW.

I had the DWS's on a Cadillac I had, and I thought they were very quiet. I would definitely recommend them to someone. Only complaint is that traction really fell off a cliff after the tires got down to about 25% tread...

I'd stay away from the MXV4's, those are in a lower category than all of those, and going from the Pilot super sport A/S, that will definitely be a downgrade in both wet and dry traction.

Larz

elwesso wrote:Living in Florida, I wouldn't really thing having an all-season tire would be necessary... Have you considered the Michelin pilot Super Sports (non all-season). Those things are whisper quiet, and are going to run circles around those other ones. I have a set on my BMW.

I had the DWS's on a Cadillac I had, and I thought they were very quiet. I would definitely recommend them to someone. Only complaint is that traction really fell off a cliff after the tires got down to about 25% tread...

I'd stay away from the MXV4's, those are in a lower category than all of those, and going from the Pilot super sport A/S, that will definitely be a downgrade in both wet and dry traction.
Thanks for the input on the MXV4s ! I agree, we don't need A/S tires down here but I do travel up north in March and Nov and that was why I went with A/S choices. I'm on the fence about them, wondering if I really need to drive all year on A/S tires just for the slim chance of finding snow in Md or Va in Nov and March. So far, there has never been any snow the last 4 years. When I was considering getting summer tires, I was leaning towards the Michelin Super Sports or the Bridgestone S04 Pole Position. This project has certainly turned into a head-scratcher, LOL

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

The main time I find summer tires really suffer is when it's really cold.. In Nov. and March, it's definitely not the coldest months of the year. I might risk it.

With all that said, in my limited experience, the Continental DWS's have been the best all season tire I've ever experienced, period. The traction did drop off like I said, but at that point already had 40k+ miles on them!

jeffk69

I am in N NJ so for me All seasons might be the best choice. So from all I am reading these DWS are a good choice. Another one I am curious about are the Hankook Ventus S1 noble 2 all seasons, anyone?

The00Dustin
Car: 2006 M45

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus was mentioned, and it has been discontinued and replaced with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. A friend who has used only Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires since before the Plus was even out said the 3 is much quieter than the plus and the grip is still fantastic. Also, they aren't directional, so cross-rotating is an option.

The00Dustin
Car: 2006 M45

Also, I am pretty sure with this winter that the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Positon is crap in snow after 20,000 miles. At first I thought maybe it was only because we were consistently getting wet slick snow on non-frozen ground, but we recently got a dry powdery snow on frozen ground and driving my RWD 06 M45 in it was as bad as the other times. They were great in snow last year, better than the Conti DWS for sure, but they had a lot less miles on them.

Larz

jeffk69 wrote:I am in N NJ so for me All seasons might be the best choice. So from all I am reading these DWS are a good choice. Another one I am curious about are the Hankook Ventus S1 noble 2 all seasons, anyone?
Funny you should mention them. I checked them on Tire Rack.
They drove / tested them against others in their class (value-Priced A/S tire) and they did VERY well.
Scroll down to the "TESTS" tab for the video

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... heel+Drive

jeffk69

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even see that when looking at the Hankook. Promising results and looks good most likely a good choice.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”