2011 Infiniti M56 - Hard to start sometimes

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
wml
Car: infiniti m56

Car has 87,00 miles. I bought it new. Problem first occurred in last month or so. Some times car will not start. Turn it off and try again and it starts. Now there is a wait time before that works. Turns over fine. Battery new in last 6 months. Gas 3/4 full. Does not even sound like it tries to start. Any suggestions?

OLoft
Car: Infiniti M56x

I have the same issue. I've taken the car to the dealership several times and they've replaces a number of things, but I still have the issue some times. Do the accessories come on?

EdBwoy

Wml, how similar are your symptoms to those expressed here -
2007-m35-won-t-start-t613922.html?hilit=ikey

And OLoft, any idea what things have been replaced so far?

ProverbPsalms
Car: 2006 M35x - Graphite/Black, Journey, Tech
2011 M56x - Black/Java - Deluxe Touring, Premium, Tech

I just changed the alternator in my 06 M35, works great now. I changed battery but it didn't fix, the problem was the alternator

OLoft

EdBwoy, Battery, throttle body, ABS Control Module, and crank shaft sensor have been replace.

Also note that sometime when the vehicle struggled to start it would finally turn over but my traction control light would come on, the car would not shift out of 3rd gear, it would shift violently from 1st through 3rd and the car would slightly lung forward when I let off the brake. I assumed the issue with it not starting and the other issues were independent, but my dealership thinks they are related. Again, I had the start issues long before the other issues started.

TSTOZTRN
Car: 2011 M56S

I just had this issue solved 3 three weeks after having problems starting mine for years.

Have your mechanic replace the subpar ground cable. It's ridiculous inadequate for the vehicle.

Car starts fantastic now without fail.

:)

OLoft

TSTOZTRN wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 am
I just had this issue solved 3 three weeks after having problems starting mine for years.

Have your mechanic replace the subpar ground cable. It's ridiculous inadequate for the vehicle.

I will definitely try this, thanks.

drtbar

OLoft wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:33 am
TSTOZTRN wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 am

I will definitely try this, thanks.
Did replacing the ground wire fix your problem? I'm having the same exact issue. Car was hard to start today and then the traction control light and blind spot warning light came on and the car shifts hard.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I would try just cleaning your grounds first drtbar.

You can follow my HowTo here: https://forums.nicoclub.com/howto-clean ... 13229.html

drtbar

Ilya wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:55 pm
I would try just cleaning your grounds first drtbar.

You can follow my HowTo here: https://forums.nicoclub.com/howto-clean ... 13229.html
Thanks for that info, I will have my mechanic do that first, and probably replace the ground cable at the same time.

drtbar

The next time I started the car everything was good, but I took it in just to be safe. The fact that everything was good again made me more convinced that you guys were right, and that it was just a bad contact somewhere.

I took it to my mechanic and pointed out the recommendations here. He checked all the ground contacts and the ground cable. He stated the ground cable may be unique to the vehicle and might not be able to be upgraded easily since it may have multiple grounding points. He didn't mention upgrading the cable after his inspection, only that it looked like it should. He did mention the starter appears to be going bad, but I'm not convinced given the info I found here.

TSTOZTRN, how did you go about replacing the ground cable?

Malbec 56 Beast
Car: 2013 Infiniti M66xS Totaled 4/11/20
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy
1983 Porsche 928 S Euro (Sold) 2/17/20

Has your brake pedal been hard to push?

Mine is, I push down hard and it starts. My dealer said that there is a service bulletin on these cars that may require a software update. It runs a program to long and that causes this to happen. I replaced the battery from Costco and is working pretty good now. Saving up some money for the software update.

Andy

Frog
Car: 2011 M56s

My advice is dont pay for the update. It didn’t make any difference on my car. These cars just eat batteries

Malbec 56 Beast
Car: 2013 Infiniti M66xS Totaled 4/11/20
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy
1983 Porsche 928 S Euro (Sold) 2/17/20

Frog,

Thanks for the advise
It's $150+ that I don't want to spend.

Andy

drtbar

Frog wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:18 am
My advice is dont pay for the update. It didn’t make any difference on my car. These cars just eat batteries
I would agree. I bought my M56x in 2013 and went through 2-3 batteries until the current one that's been holding up for about 3 years. The curious thing is the local auto parts store said the batteries tested fine, but the infiniti dealer said they tested low and needed to be replaced. Fortunately the batteries were replaced under warranty because the damn things are $150 or more.

ibc

This happened to me last week. I parked the car while key in "ACC" mode, and when I returned an hour later the engine barely started. When it did, the traction control lamp was ON, and the Tx shifts were jerky in the lowest gears (1-3). I guess software thinks a wheel is slipping? Manually turning OFF traction control didn't fix it. Eventually, I drove home, restarted it twice, and the problem went away on its own. Tx problems are scary!

Today I cleaned all the engine & body ground connections. (Thx for the write-up, Ilya).

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”