2011 G37 IPL in Malbec Black

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

These are some pics I took yesterday on the showroom.

I love the Malbec Black, as the pics progress you will be able to see how this deep and infintely dark black suddenly develops a purple hue under certain lights and angles and then disappears as the angle and light changes :whistle:

InfinitiEric

Wow!!! It reminds me to go clean my car hahaha..

PalmerWMD

Eric,

what do you drive? :)

InfinitiEric

A '06 Infiniti M45, but I may be changing to a different car soon. :bigthumb: You?

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

it's not black, it's poipol

:)

PalmerWMD

Matt: you cna see in most of the pics it looks as a very deep black only when the flash gets clsoe does the purple come out.

I imagine it would come out at night under strong over head lamps or perhaps in some sunlight angles.

Last edited by PalmerWMD on Sat May 21, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

What's sad is that a new BOSS 302 has 444 HP and is rated at 17 City/26 HW.....
I know it's a different animal, but still Infiniti needs to put out a little more HP for the $$$.

PalmerWMD

InfinitiEric wrote:A '06 Infiniti M45, but I may be changing to a different car soon. :bigthumb: You?
Glad you asked :D
have a 2004.5 350Z w/ the 05 transmission Nismo clutch, Vortech Supercharger, AAM reflash, JWT Oil pan spacer and oil pan pickup spacer, BM short shifter, racingbrake.com BBK, BBS RGR19's, Pole Postions, Nismo Springs, Nismo Shocks, Nismos Swaybars, AEM Headers, AEM true Dual exhaust, Gauges, etc.

Fred..:)

PalmerWMD

SVTCOBRA wrote:What's sad is that a new BOSS 302 has 444 HP and is rated at 17 City/26 HW.....
I know it's a different animal, but still Infiniti needs to put out a little more HP for the $$$.
the new Boss is an igreat car, but its a Pony car ( no offense intended) and the G37S IPL is a Grand tourer.
I would also like more power but I think it is a great "Special Edtion" type addtion for the G37 Coupe line.

Mooniac
Car: 2011 G37 IPL, Malbec/Red

I've been driving my IPL for a week now. (Same as shown except I have the red inerior and the 7 speed auto which is programmed to be zippy in grs 1-4). As most of us know, an engine is an air pump: more throughput equals more power. The IPL has an optimized exhaust which provides lower resistance than anything previously offered even on the aftermarket. The only improvement I can suggest is a 3d Gen Stillen intake. I've read the blogs where some folks have suggested th IPL should include a twin turbo option, and I disagree: the VQ37VHR spins up to 7500 rpm at 11.0:1 compression ratio. It's designed to be an optimum air pump that's normally aspirated. I've had two turbo powered cars: a 300zx and a BMW 320i with a CarTech water inter-cooled into 44mm Mikuni's. I like normally aspirated power better. Anyone can focus on one particular aspect of a car and point to another that does that one thing better. The trick is to balance those items well. The IPL does that.

PalmerWMD

Mooniac,

Glad you enjoy your IPL!!!

We still have 2 in stock , we started out with 3 IPL's that is 1.5% of the entire original stock in the USA.
I cant wait to put someone into one.
I also agree with your statements. The Infiniti line produces "purer" stock power since we are "all motor".
Good for reliability and managable power.
AND our cars that are RWD have the VLSD stock ... on many BMW's and other competitors that is either not available at all (or replaced by electronics ) or only on a maxed out 60k car.

InfinitiEric

PalmerWMD wrote:
InfinitiEric wrote:A '06 Infiniti M45, but I may be changing to a different car soon. :bigthumb: You?
Glad you asked :D
have a 2004.5 350Z w/ the 05 transmission Nismo clutch, Vortech Supercharger, AAM reflash, JWT Oil pan spacer and oil pan pickup spacer, BM short shifter, racingbrake.com BBK, BBS RGR19's, Pole Postions, Nismo Springs, Nismo Shocks, Nismos Swaybars, AEM Headers, AEM true Dual exhaust, Gauges, etc.

Fred..:)
Nice!! Do you have a picture thread up anywhere? Have you been on a dyno yet? You must be producing well over 100+ hp over stock.

SVTCOBRA

PalmerWMD wrote: the new Boss is an igreat car, but its a Pony car ( no offense intended) and the G37S IPL is a Grand tourer.
I would also like more power but I think it is a great "Special Edtion" type addtion for the G37 Coupe line.
Oh, I agree! I love seeing special editions come out!! Usually means more opportunities to personalize your car with some new parts.
And, I'm never offended by other's opinions here on the interweb. :cheers:

PalmerWMD

InfinitiEric wrote:ANice!! Do you have a picture thread up anywhere? Have you been on a dyno yet? You must be producing well over 100+ hp over stock.
Eric Thanks!

I dont have a picture thread on this forum.

But I been to the dyno and made 389 at the wheels even though the pulley is only the basic pulley the "8psi" pulley.
The Vortech usually makes only 330 or so whp on a dynojet but my bolt ons and then my tune with the bolt ons is responsible for the extra power.
it's "just" an Enthusiast so its pretty light to begin with and I have removed the spare tire/tools to help with weight also

It moves pretty good. :chuckle:

Mooniac

Palmer WMD,

You're correct, I failed to mention the other items motorheads typically add to increase performance. The combination of these items along with Nav and Premium items as standard, add up to what brings my 16 year old daughter to name my IPL "the Batmobile"

kmckis1029
Car: 2016 Q50 RS400 AWD

2010 G37x w/Prem, Nav, & Wood (sold)

2005 G35x w/Prem C (traded in)

Mooniac wrote:Palmer WMD,

You're correct, I failed to mention the other items motorheads typically add to increase performance. The combination of these items along with Nav and Premium items as standard, add up to what brings my 16 year old daughter to name my IPL "the Batmobile"
lol thats the same thing my 2010 G37x gets called "batmobile" and "kaydro Airlines" :yesnod

my cuz has a 2011 Maxima with that color, its a cool rare color :biggrin:

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Mooniac wrote:I've read the blogs where some folks have suggested th IPL should include a twin turbo option, and I disagree: the VQ37VHR spins up to 7500 rpm at 11.0:1 compression ratio. It's designed to be an optimum air pump that's normally aspirated. I've had two turbo powered cars: a 300zx and a BMW 320i with a CarTech water inter-cooled into 44mm Mikuni's. I like normally aspirated power better. Anyone can focus on one particular aspect of a car and point to another that does that one thing better. The trick is to balance those items well. The IPL does that.
I think Infiniti should have reduced the compression ratio to 9:1 and put twin turbo's on...or just use the GT-R engine. But that's the thing....Nissan doesn't want anything to come close to that car...similar to the 'vette and camaro ;)

Mooniac

I guess I'm the buyer Infiniti was looking for. I like the total package. The Ford Mustang Boss 302 at 444 hp is a street legal NASCAR. I bought a luxury car that is well tuned and fun to drive. I have a normally aspirated 550 ci plane that cruises at 185 knots and burns 16 g/ hr. Pick your mission: pick your weapon...

deejay465
Car: 2011 G37 IPL

Mooniac...

I've had my IPL with red interior for 2 weeks now and I have enjoyed driving it. Only issue I have is the leather. Mine shows wrinkles more than I would expect for a new vehicle. I have another vehicle that's 3 years old and the leather still looks good. How's the leather on your IPL...Maybe I'm just expecting too much?? I will post pics of my interior once I figure out how to upload pictures on here....any replies would be appreciated.

btw...this is my first post so be nice

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

welcome deejay! Nice ride for sure man! I've noticed the leather just isn't as durable on Infiniti's compared to other makes...but if you use some conditioner, it will help.

As for the IPL...I wish Infiniti went in the direction of other Japanese and Germain cars, ISF and the M3 specifically. Those are special models that share some common parts with the "normal" models...but the performance is just turned way up.

Mooniac

Deejay,

I think this is a great car. I wouldn't be too concerned about the leather. I recall feeling the same way about the new creases in a Mercedes and a 4Runner. I doubt it'll lose shape or rip.
For the critics that haven't driven this car, horsepower is a relative gauge of potential performance. A very quick track car is lightweight, high rev, high traction, variable on the torque depending on the track, (gear sets), and a bugger to drive everyday and not very "crashworthy". I used to have a '72 240z that weighed 2300 lbs with a 78 280z block I bore out .040" over ( became an LB"300z") and designed to be 9.5:1. That car had approximately 310 modest hp at the flywheel it was a rocket. Thank God I never crashed it-- lap belts were standard equipment.
The IPL is a fun road car. Period.

Mooniac

Joe, would you be up for buying an IPL with 450 hp if it cost 65k? Even if the answer is "yes" consider how fast the M56 and FX56 are moving right now...then call your local Lexus dealer and ask them how long the wait is for the fancy Prius versus the availability of the ISF. My point is that we're emotional gear heads and the manufacturer's are bean counters who sit under a bell-shaped umbrella. Infiniti has a 66k hybrid g37 sedan that most dealers won't sell until they get another one--and they're not budging from MSRP.

SVTCOBRA

Mooniac wrote:Deejay,

I think this is a great car. I wouldn't be too concerned about the leather. I recall feeling the same way about the new creases in a Mercedes and a 4Runner. I doubt it'll lose shape or rip.
For the critics that haven't driven this car, horsepower is a relative gauge of potential performance. A very quick track car is lightweight, high rev, high traction, variable on the torque depending on the track, (gear sets), and a bugger to drive everyday and not very "crashworthy". I used to have a '72 240z that weighed 2300 lbs with a 78 280z block I bore out .040" over ( became an LB"300z") and designed to be 9.5:1. That car had approximately 310 modest hp at the flywheel it was a rocket. Thank God I never crashed it-- lap belts were standard equipment.
The IPL is a fun road car. Period.
OK, you put a Period on it, so end of thread!!! :poke:

I'm sure the suspension tweaks and HP tweaks have improved an already fun car's driving experience, but for an edition that is supposed to be 'performance' I do think the HP should have been tweaked a bit more. But, this is inline with the Nismo Z HP tweaks. I'm not saying that they should have stripped the G down and made a track only version....just a few more HP.
But I certainly understand your opinion.
And, if I didn't have two in college, I might consider one for me!! :yesnod

As a matter of fact, I traded a car with MORE HP for my current G coupe because of the better driving experience it gives me.

Mooniac

"...period misplaced; should've' been a semi-colon." BAD blog etiquette.

deejay465
Car: 2011 G37 IPL

SVTCORBA.....

I've enjoyed driving the IPL.

I've already put 1800 miles in 4 weeks, now it's time for an oil change. I've always changed oil on all my vehicles. My dealer is offer 2 free oil change but the Infiniti dealer is over 2 hours away.

What does everyone recommend on type of oil? Should I stay with the Ester Oil? I am wanting to go with Royal Purple w/ K&N filters or Castrol Edge Titanium Fully Syn. w/ bosch filter (Whats currently on sale at Advance).....

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

SVTCOBRA

DJ, welcome to Nico!!!! :cheers:
Post up some pics!!

Are the IPL rims by Enkei now?? Pretty sure I saw that on a OEM rim...but couldn't remember where....I spend too much time looking at cars!! :crazy:
We had to take the G sedan in a couple of times lately and had to put some drool marks on the IPL and convert they had. :yesnod

PalmerWMD

The new Nissna oil is good.
But the new castrol Edge is very very good also <and> its abailable in more grades.

maybe for your first oil change, or even second, use a simple blend that has a proven track record of suspending wear particles like maybe valvoline durablend in 5w-30 or 10w-30.
the Vq37 runs warmer than the VQ35, after your first (second) oil change I would (depending on budget) use Mobil 1 0w-40 year around , or Redline 10w-40 in summer and 5w-40 in winter.

Or if you are afraid of using something other than the 5w-30 in the manual you can stick with the new nissan oil.

Mooniac

Two interesting notes:"good news, bad news..." for those who have voiced some constructive critiques on the "modest" improvements offered under the IPL badge: I recently received a request from an independent polling company. The questions were somewhat passive-aggressive (I'm a 17 yr. Civil trial lawyer...with plenty of real life courtroom experience a/k/a endangered species--I know the 'tone' of an inquiry)...anyway... it would seem that Infiniti is "creeping" on the blogs and hears the call for more ponies. In approximately a dozen questions, I was asked questions that obviously tied in the economics of increased performance with what I liked best so far, what I liked least and what amount of horsepower I would expect for a sticker of 5k more (I answered 100 hp, coached by my recollection of the critics voices rattling around in my head like a Tea Party activist without his/her Lithium Rx). Unfortunately, there was no inquiry that permitted a narrative response to the question: what's the most interesting reaction you've experienced in owning the IPL? My reply would have been: "After opening the passenger side door for my wife after a night out, I went around to the driver's side and noticed a note...it read, "nice car, we should meet :)" ...
it was written on a 'feminine napkin.' I laughed and showed it to my wife whom quickly flipped it over--the adhesive was unused...whew! Uhhh, grossssss!

PalmerWMD

Wow just came back here.

This thread has had some energy!*

Fred..

*Classical forums reference, who will ID it?

alvam
Car: 2008 Rouge SL AWD with Premium Package

SVT

I have had mine G37x for a few weeks and it did come with the Enkei wheels. I don't have an IPL but love driving the car nonetheless and I came from a 2009 335i xDrive and while I enjoyed the turbo on it I am enjoying the normally aspirated engine probably more so.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”