2011 FX35 AWD vs. 2011 Jeep Gr. Cherokee Overland Summit

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
gawalisjr
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

Have just about narrowed my next purchase down to the 2 vehicles in the title.

My wife's car is a 2008 G35x, but my last 3 vehicles have been a 1990 Jeep Wagoneer, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, and a 2006 Grand Cherokee Overland.

Has anyone considered the new 2011 Summit version vs. the FX35?

longlivetitus
Car: 2002 Infiniti Q45 Sport
2007 Infiniti FX45

FX35 no question...you will be much a happier in the long term. I own a couple Grand Jeep Cherokees in the my days and every time had to deal with something electrical, until one day I got rid of it completely. It was the best decision. Also, new vehicles require a couple years to break in to fix all the bugs.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

I read the topic title and saw a new Jeep commercial within the same commercial break so it must have been a sign.

I would really have to be WOWd by the Jeep, I was hoping the price point would put it over the top. But it appears that every new owner needs to chip in to help pay the government back.

The new FX is a little more pricey but it is the '11 FX is the second year of the new S51 body style and thus far there are very few complaints.

Why not try to find an '09 FX50
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c ... page=thumb

:naughty:

The Jeep really sounds like a strong competitor for the loyalist but it really just looks a little dull given what you are comparing it too.

Have you had a chance to drive both?
I am really curious to see what makes it in your pros and cons over these two.

Socaldiablo
Car: 2004 Infiniti QX56 - Black on Willow
2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Black on Black
2006 Ducati ST3
2008 Kawasaki KLX450r

I've owned a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee in the past and right off the bat, it had multiple issues mainly electrical and computer related. At one point with probably less than 5,000 miles on it, it completely died in heavy traffic and had to be towed. Chrysler makes probably some of the least reliable vehicles in the world. They woo ignorant car buyers on good looks and special financing but I can bet you my life savings that once the warranty is up on your Overland Summit, you'll be left with a useless pile of poo that has dropped in value so much that you may get a handful of peanuts when you go to sell it or trade it in for a nice Infinit FX. :biggrin:

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

HAHAHA, ahh nothing like a scorned former owner to really drive a point home.

Chrysler has tried for years to repeat the success it had with the K car, but has been the odd man out of the big three for decades. Merging with Daimler had strong promises at first but never really panned out, we had American cars fitted to use Bosch parts. My least favorite example was the Crossfire.

I have always had a special place in my heart for Jeep though, but they have not been the same since AMC went away.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

HAHAHA, ahh nothing like a scorned former owner to really drive a point home.

Chrysler has tried for years to repeat the success it had with the K car, but has been the odd man out of the big three for decades. Merging with Daimler had strong promises at first but never really panned out, we had American cars fitted to use Bosch parts. My least favorite example was the Crossfire.

I have always had a special place in my heart for Jeep though, but they have not been the same since AMC went away.

Chris92SE
Car: 2017 QX30
2003 Pathfinder LE

I hate to add fuel to the fire, but one of my good friends bought a brand new Overland a few years ago (2006 or 2007?). Within a couple of months it was into the dealership with electrical problems. He made several trips back and different gremlins persisted.

I am not making this up -- he started his car one morning to let it warm up and when he came back out 5 minutes later it was on fire. Wiring under the dash caught fire (cause determined by fire department) and the Jeep basically burned to the ground.

He had to go through hell with the dealership, but he ended up with a brand new Dodge crew cab 4x4.

I know this is one isolated incident, but I saw photos of the rig and it gave me chills. After that, I just figured I would stay away from Jeeps.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

Mmmmmm Nothing like a crispy truck to really ruin a morning.

I once worked on an FX that eventually burned to the ground in a similar fashion but it was not electrical issue. But that was a wild story

Crazy things can happen to normally good cars. This is why fixing cars correctly the first time in necessary.

Wouldn't your insurance be in play in this type of case?

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”