2011 EX35 bad MPG

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
pollow
Car: 2011 EX35

Hi,

I just purchased a used 2011 EX35 several days ago. After I received the car, I reseted the fuel economy status and started calculating MPG from scratch. Before I reseted it, it read 17.8 MPG, but after I reseted it and drove a while, it read only 11.8 MPG.

I know in winter the fuel economy will be worse and where I live is pretty code, but this is definitely way to worse. I went to the mechanics before buying the car and they says it needs to replace catalytic converters, which takes roughly $2k. Will this be the main reason? I didn't see any light like check engine or change oil on the panel.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue? Where shall I start to inspect? Which bad part might contribute to that?

Thanks~

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

how many miles have you driven?

Bocatrip

pollow wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:41 pm
Hi,

I just purchased a used 2011 EX35 several days ago. After I received the car, I reseted the fuel economy status and started calculating MPG from scratch. Before I reseted it, it read 17.8 MPG, but after I reseted it and drove a while, it read only 11.8 MPG.

I know in winter the fuel economy will be worse and where I live is pretty code, but this is definitely way to worse. I went to the mechanics before buying the car and they says it needs to replace catalytic converters, which takes roughly $2k. Will this be the main reason? I didn't see any light like check engine or change oil on the panel.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue? Where shall I start to inspect? Which bad part might contribute to that?

Thanks~
How many miles on your car? Are you absolutely certain about needing the cats? I'd check for any stored trouble codes before replacing expensive items. Good luck and let us know how you make out. You could also try another mechanic or a diagnostic service at Infiniti for $99. It couldn't hurt.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”